Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie ACT/CP-2000-ZX issue

Author Topic: Christie ACT/CP-2000-ZX issue
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2014 02:46 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone had ever dealt with this issue:

Over the summer, at one of our locations, a problem emerged. The set up is a Christie CP-2000-ZX projector coupled with a Christie ACT automation. Everything works (cues, etc) - except when it comes to striking the lamp. It won't strike. It has to be manually turned on and turned off each and every show.

The manager explained to me that Christie went in and copied over files on another automation, but that did not fix the problem.

I feel like the problem is in the projector.

Has anyone every seen this before and maybe have an idea where to look?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-15-2014 02:58 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what server?

The "lamp on" command should be an ethernet command, I can't see why it shouldn't work

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-15-2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christie ACT is a convoluted beast. I'm sure some will find it elegant in that one can come up with their own Libraries and layer in their commands. But it has this tree that you have to carefully construct (all in a WEB GUI) and ensure every call that is made does indeed have the thing that is being called. What is good about this style is once you have come up with your scheme and created your libraries. They are a VERY simple job to upload into every ACT from that point on and all you have to do is change your IPs...all of the internal commands are left alone.

The other way I've seen it used is to just create a script for each command, one at a time. Not as elegant but certainly more in-you-face for diagnosing problems.

Either way, I don't find working with it to be enjoyable.

So, onto your problem. First question...does the douser commands work (if you are using them). If they do, the problem is likely in the ACT and how it is being told to execute the scripts. Even if libraries are being used in the ACT, you have to specify the IP of each device. You also have to ensure that the commands match precisely between the server and what the ACT is expecting. The ACT is open-ended. You get to define what it is looking for and what it will issue.

If the projector is unresponsive to all commands then I would look in the communication section and make sure Ethernet (and serial while you are at it) are set to "free access". That is not its default. You can manually enter the (PWR1) command to prove to yourself that the projector will respond to it. Use a program like PuTTY set to port 5000.

If that works...then enjoy your stay in the Christie ACT when someone else sets it up. It could be obvious or you may have to get into the mind of the person that laid it out.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2014 08:12 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a G.D.C. server - but I think Steve might have narrowed it down for me.

Thanks!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2014 10:10 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please let us know what you find out. I deal with the same setup (projector, server, and automation!) at one site, so I'd love to know for future troubleshooting.

I could not agree more with Steve's comments about the ACT.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: