Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS200 & AP20 Serial Cues...

Author Topic: Dolby DSS200 & AP20 Serial Cues...
Mike Pearson
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2014 10:34 PM      Profile for Mike Pearson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I've got an auditorium equipped with a Dolby DSS200 and an AP20 processor, and I can't seem to figure out how to successfully create serial cues in the SMS to select sound formats, adjust volume, etc. in the AP20.

Can anyone who's setup a Dolby with an AP20 help walk me through this? Both seem to have compatible serial options, but the manuals are very unspecific when it comes to the process.

Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2014 11:00 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This MIGHT help. It's from the USL JSD-60 manual regarding entry of control codes.

In Show Manager, on the "serial automation" system page, there is a "termination" field where you can put byte codes to be added to the end of each command. By default the system
includes "\0A" (line feed) in this field, but you can change it "\0D" (carriage return) or any other sequence. This will terminate each automation string. To insert a tab in an automation string, use “\09” .

Harold

Mike Pearson
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2014 03:11 AM      Profile for Mike Pearson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I hadn't thought to check Dolby serial automation setup with other non-Dolby processors. I'll give it a go.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-06-2014 03:25 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, depends a bit on how much experience you have with serial communication. Basically, the Dolby has no predefined commands for the AP20. You have to read the AP20 serial/network communication doc and create the necessary commands on the Dolby yourself. It's probably to complicated to go through this in detail on the forum, but in general:

- tell the DSS200 to use serial automation for this auditorium in ->System->Auditorium

- Go to the serial automation tab, set communication parameters to 9600, 8 data bits, No parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control
- Set the same parameters on the AP20 in ->System->Automation->Serial, also set Serial command mode to AP20

You then have two choices - either you send to the AP20 those messages defined in the TN-H413 document, or, you can create your own simplified protocol from the Dolby. The AP20 allows you to capture any serial command on the serial interface and use it as an incoming automation event. That is, you could define a serial output on the DSS200 'AP20fader=5', make the AP20 detect and act on it, etc.
The capture function in the AP20 automation event setup is very helpful in getting this going.

I would suggest to test initial communication and termination characters between Dolby and AS20 that way, then once you feel safe, create the defined AP20 protocol messages and stay within that scheme. The AP20 will support both at the same time.
You need to use the leading @ and trailing <CR> scheme (should be \0D as Harold writes above) for AP20 protocol.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: