Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Temporary Dolby 3D install on a 2D projector? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Temporary Dolby 3D install on a 2D projector?
Karel Bata
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2014 07:12 AM      Profile for Karel Bata   Email Karel Bata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm organising some 3D screenings, and one venue we're very keen on is 2D. It has a NEC NC2000C projector. spec

We're thinking of using a Dolby 3D system as a temp bolt-on. This system used to be notorious for being a bit dark, but the one I saw at the Barbican cinema London recently was surprisingly bright.

Dolby Cinema System

Anyone here ever done this? Any advice? Is the projector likely to need a software upgrade? Any comments on brightness?

BTW Anyone got an inside track in to Dolby UK?

Cheers! [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2014 09:35 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karel,

We installed the equipment in the Barbican, it's well specified so yes, there is plenty of light available and the Dolby 3D looks exactly as it should.

Dolby UK screening dept. can and do install temporary 3D for festivals, premieres etc. I can put you in touch with the right people if needs be.

Pete

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-04-2014 09:40 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Euhm, the Dolby 3D system is not a "bolt on" system, it's rather a "bolt in" system, because it's installed in the light path of your projector.

If you're looking for a temporary solution, I guess you're better off with many of the "bolt on" solutions either using Z-Screen polarizers (e.g. RealD, Volfoni, MasterImage, etc.) or shutter glasses (e.g. XPand).

The only problem is, for polarized solutions, you need a silver screen (or one of those flashy new white screens that don't destroy polarization).

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2014 11:04 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel, Dolby UK screening support can and do provide temporary installations.

Here at any rate you can pretty much forget using silver screens for festivals or premieres. It's simply discounted due to the hotspot.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-04-2014 12:01 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also dislike silver screens, hotspot issues, the extreme fragility and quite a few other issues. But active glasses don't require one and are about as expensive as the Dolby glasses.

I didn't know that Dolby also offers temporary installs on rental basis, especially since the kit (the color filter part) is tailored to your projector type and needs to be installed into the projector.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-04-2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby 3D is not dark. It has the lowest light efficiency of the group which means you will need more light than any other competitor to achieve the same 3D brightness.
But it does NOT mean it will be darker.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2014 12:28 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel, they have a few different projectors at Wooton Basset for testing and screening purposes so I guess they also have the 3D kits for same purpose. Up here they've hire the 3D kit to the venue and provided a technician.

Marco, you're bang on the money with that statement. Many cannot seem to understand this simple bit of mathematical reasoning.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-04-2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to get a higher output lamp for the NC-2000!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-04-2014 01:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Karel, what screen size and type is it at your location?

NC2000 and screen size/type then put a natural limit on achievable 3D brightness.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-04-2014 06:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is just temporary Xpand would be a whole lot easier to install and deal with!

Mark

Karel Bata
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2014 03:51 AM      Profile for Karel Bata   Email Karel Bata   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw damn. I somehow missed the replies on this topic. I thought I was subscribed, and I was certain I had checked back. (Could an old version of the page have got cached?)

This query concerns the first London 3D Film Festival, which was scheduled for November, but is now taking place in April (due to a lot of politics). I'm updating the logos today.

We've looked at a number of venues, and one favourite was the Prince Charles off Leicester Square - the one with the NC200. The audience - young, film buffs, a haven for emerging film-makers, was excellent for a fest intended to showcase and champion independent 3D film. However the mod, as mentioned above, is not so much a bolt-on but more of a bolt-in, and (unless I've misunderstood something) the projector doesn't have a capability for that. Not an easy one at least. Happy to learn I'm wrong though (?)

We're now talking to Vue around the corner who are 3D equipped, and have even offered to put in a bright bulb for us.

Thanks for the replies. Really sorry I missed this, but if the projector wasn't going to do it anyway...

Cheers!

L3DFF website

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-01-2014 06:01 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby 3D is indeed a bolt-in, but from a technicians perspective, it doesn't make a real difference. It basically takes the same time as it takes to mount any other 3D system.

Since the light efficiency is so low for Dolby 3D, it is certainly worth considering screen size/type vs. max available bulb size for the NC2000.
VUE will probably have Sony systems installed, with RealD systems for 3D.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-01-2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It basically takes the same time as it takes to mount any other 3D system"
Woah! That really depends on the projector, I haven't tried on a NC2000 but have spent hours disassembling and reassembling a Barco (20C I think...). Barco recommends having Dolby 3D as a factory install on these, and not doing it in the field.
Bolting on a Real-D unit takes maybe 30 minutes if you have done it before, plus another 1/2-1 hour for alignment (if it's an XL) and color setup. Dolby 3D color setup takes quite a bit longer as well.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-01-2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the good thing about the crude design of the NEC machines. You just tear down the side panels and off you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzB6YUPuyus

Plus we were talking about Dolbys own UK techs, they do it all the time.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-01-2014 10:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a number of Dolbly 3-D's on NC-2000's and it's uber easy. All the cut outs and slots/mounting holes are already there.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: