Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How: Credit Policy ( Caption Overlay)

Author Topic: How: Credit Policy ( Caption Overlay)
Ronn Mesias
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2014 09:56 AM      Profile for Ronn Mesias   Email Ronn Mesias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any chance to insert a subtitle (return the 3d glass)over laying in movie once the credit offset is cued.. without the used of portable projectors, mainly direct to christie projector or doremi server.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-18-2014 07:43 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

You could switch to another source - a computer, media player, etc. while the movie is still running, but then the credits disappear completely. Why not put it in just before the main feature? You will probably have a 'Please put on your glasses now' clip before the main feature anyway?

- Carsten

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2014 07:53 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why couldn't you make a separate dcp and set up intermission in the playlist for a couple of seconds when the credits start and then go right back to the credits automatically when your return your glasses clip ends. The intermission feature may not be available on all servers and you may need a firmware update to enable intermission.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-18-2014 09:28 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, can you provide a bit more detail about how the intermission set up would work? We have various pauses and things set up in our drive-in playlists, but I'm not aware of anyway to overlap clips or stop and restart at a specific point.

One thought I had would be to call a test pattern, pause the show for 10-15 seconds, un-pause, then return to the show format. Of course this would require creating a PNG file and writing it to your ICP board - easy enough if you have the TI software and know what you're doing.

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2014 11:15 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, I have not heard of the intermission option yet on the GDC. I know it is available on Doremi and I think on Dolby as well. It is mainly used over seas when they run very long movies and do an intermission in the middle of the feature. On Doremi when you build your playlist you build in an intermission any place you choose to in the movie. It will then play another playlist of your choosing. It will then resume the movie. But you can also set it to rewind the movie a few minutes so the patrons don't miss anything.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-19-2014 12:09 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Tim. I'm glad you remembered I have GDC servers, since I forgot to mention that. I'll have to ask GDC about that.

One of the thing we would like to do at our drive-in is trigger a prerecorded intermission message at the start of our intermission at our drive-in. I know we could do something like an MP3 on an external media player, rather than a DCP, and just switch the JSD-60 input, but I don't know how to trigger the clip to play.

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2014 12:51 AM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you just want audio I think it would be easiest to make a DCP with a blank image and just audio. That way you just program it in your playlist where you want it. If you want it to play certain things triggered by GPIO/automation, radio station automation can work. But there is a bit of set up and hardware that would be needed. you could also modify a CD player. just connect the play button of the CD player to a relay off of your automation. If you want to get into the radio station automation i can put you in touch with someone who has done it at his drive-in. He also has his radio automation start the projector every night, and has his field lights timed to the music.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-19-2014 03:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that this is something that would be best if it was built into the movie during production rather than added after the fact.

If theaters are paying to buy glasses for watching 3D movies. It only makes sense for the producers of those movies to give a little effort to help out.

Besides, if done during production, it costs next to nothing to do this, versus the time, effort and money the individual theaters would have to do the same thing.

No brainer! Eh?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-19-2014 05:32 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There won't ever be glasses announcement normally added in the movie. Directors are too in love with their "vision" and would refuse to do it. The 3D companies would want individual versions.
The intermission DCP idea is the best answer - you could just use a ready made snipe (return glasses snipes are usually on the trailer mix drives for Dolby, Real-D and probably MI and some 3D movies include a themed one)... or get a slide projector somewhere and put up a text slide, that will show pretty well over most credit images.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-19-2014 06:11 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vision?

Easy!

Purple Rose of Cairo!

The camera turns, the actor walks off the screen and into the audience and starts collecting glasses from the audience members.

In 3D, this would be a mind blowing effect for the audience.

Once this is done and starts to catch on, every director would be jumping on the bandwagon and coming up with new and "creative" ways to do this.

Quotes are used for purposes of mocking people who think that their "vision" is the be-all and end-all of creativity.

The only reason it's not done is because of narrown mindedness and stupidity.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: