Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » BARCO - CHEAP PLUG

Author Topic: BARCO - CHEAP PLUG
Allan P. Barnes
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2014 09:57 PM      Profile for Allan P. Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan P. Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FILE THIS UNDER "BARCO KNOWN ISSUE #2"

On the rear of the Barco model 1200+1500+2000 digital projectors is a very cheap little multi-pin plug. The TOUCH SCREEN MONITOR plugs in here. This monitor is overpriced but useful - and not required for daily use. IF you use this plug more than once it is HIGHLY PROBABLE you will blend one or more of these little tiny BRASS/COPPER PINS.

RESULT you will blow (aka destroy) an entire TI BOARD. Cost to replace the board $1200usd. PLUS the skilled labour (6-8 hours) to reinstall new software and new addresses .. to make old boards talk to new TI Board.

Barco is a good product line but this is one very cheap ass plug.
NOW here is what I really hate about ... on the nose of these same BARCOS is a very nice heavy duty multi-pin CANNON type XLR

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2014 11:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, been there and done that with that socket by accidentally bending those pins in the socket when attaching the monitor. Luckily,
I have a small pair of needle nose pliers to straighten things out.
The keyway for this socket is hard to see, but once you know where the keyway is in proportion to the cable, the connection becomes easy.

I power the projector down before connecting the monitor to this socket.

I carry a monitor around to connect to my 15 BARCOS when doing bulbs so I do my on-board stuff when doing the changes.

-Monte

Allan P. Barnes
Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2014 12:30 AM      Profile for Allan P. Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan P. Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took the Barco class last year and they NEVER mentioned this issue. It would be a simple fix to upgrade the plug to an good solid XLR... like the one on the nose.

My solution - return the TOUCH SCREEN MONITOR and use a Lamp top with the Barco Com.Program.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2014 12:31 AM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered why they didn't just use a single ethernet cable for all of it. It should be possible to run power and connectivity through a single cable. The port currently has eight pins, and that's with serial support.

Anyway, it is pretty tough to break them once you get an understanding of how fragile they are. I've also only seen one board fry over the bent pins, and that's just because someone tried to bend them back without powering down the projector first.

On the other hand, the series-II ports are a LOT easier to replace. Soooo, there's that. Still an iffy design in the first place, but it now takes two minutes to fix as opposed to spending hours dissecting the entire projector.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-10-2014 03:31 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it is indeed a little fragile but if you don't push hard while looking for the position pin it's fine. I'd say 50/50 here, choose a better socket and use the equipment properly!

Also, why would you use that socket more than once?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-10-2014 07:07 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
Also, why would you use that socket more than once?
Well, obviously Monte uses one Communicator TouchPanel as his travel maintenance notebook for 15 machines ;-)

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-10-2014 07:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say anyone that is buying one touchpanel for multiple projectors is "doing it wrong." Either have the touchpanel on all projectors or NONE. If you are wanting to just have one device to save money (understandable), then buy a MUCH cheaper PC and load the FREE software on it...they even have it in Linux so you could probably repurpose some obsolete laptop back into service...use that by going around theatre to theatre...Barco does give you 3-4 Ethernet jacks on each projector.

The multipin XLR connector is actually for an anamorphic lens mover that never came to be in the series 2 projectors or the .98" series 1. Note, in the series 2 projectors, they moved it to the Cinema Controller board. Its a shame they didn't do anything with that...but that is for another discussion. I suppose it could be re-purposed for a 3D mover but most are using the GPIO connector for that sort of thing.

As for what connector to use...I can't defend the one they chose or putting the pins on the projector side if that has the potential to do damage...however, I don't know if Ethernet would have been the best choice either. They have a bit of current going on to power the touchpanel and they have to supply Ethernet and RS232...so you have 4-5 wires just on the power/RS232 alone. If you have an RJ45 you have the potential for people to plug the wrong thing in too. And if you are going to make it a proprietary scheme to accommodate all of the functions, that would make it a HUGE liability.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-11-2014 09:41 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think on the S1 projectors the connector has to come out to remove the rear cover.
It is pretty easy to not use it, you need a 12V power supply but the S1 has a power outlet on the control panel. Then an ethernet cable and a serial cable if you need serial - that's required oif you lose the IP address (internally or forget it).
Having the pins short should not fry a card. That's bad design and easy to avoid.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-11-2014 10:29 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just use the RS232 serial port on the controller board and a separate matched power supply for the touch panel that we have.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-11-2014 01:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed! I always use Communicator to change a lamp in a Barco.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-11-2014 02:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where we have touchpanels in use it is on all projectors...which is typically just the 1 screen. The touchpanel becomes more of an integral player and the theatre typically has more than the 6 or so buttons on the projector.

In our typical multis...no touchpanels...but we do offer a cheaper alternative by having a purpose built computer at each projector and an KVM switch so the monitor/keyboard used for the server can also be for the projector.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2014 05:48 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once got my ass roasted at a standards meeting when I referred to an 8 pin modular connector as an RJ-45. I was duly informed that RJ-45 is a specific implementation using an 8P8C modular connector.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: