Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Scart into Cine-IPM

Author Topic: Scart into Cine-IPM
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2014 03:28 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I think I've put almost every type of signal into a Cine-IPM which It's capable of handling without optional modules, but I'm not sure if I've ever done this particular one. I find that analogue signals generally work fine, but this time I've got a problem. Fortunately, I've got until Christmas to sort it out.

Signal source is a cheap DVD player, need to use it because it's region-free, which the usual one isn't. It offers composite or RGBS (via a Scart) but not component or s-video.

The IPM is supposed to take RGBS (4-wire)on input 1, but it doesn't like it. Has anybody else done this, with or without success? If I connect the RGBS signals to a suitable monitor it works fine, but the IPM doesn't like the sync; the manual says it should. If I connect the sync signal to the Hor/Comp input, where it should go, it says No V-sync. If I connect it to the Vert input it says No H-sync. Accordig to table 3.2 on page 3-16 of the manual this should work as well (4WV) mode. If I split the sync signal and feed it to both sync inputs it says Bad sync.

There's something a bit odd about Scart, the sync is on pin 19, the same pin as is used for composite video out, and on most equipment, including the player which I'm trying to use, the 'sync' signal for use with the RGB outputs is actually a complete composite video signal, and a RGBS monitor will simply ignore the video part of the signal; I've never known a monitor or RGBS-capable video projector where this didn't work. I tried connecting the sync cable to the G input,using the G input as a second composite input, as shown on figure 2.11 on page 2-8 nd the IPM then sees the expected horizontal and vertical sync frequencies,15.7 something kHz and 59.94 Hz (this is a NTSC disc). I also tried a PAL disc, with the same result except for the frequencies, 15.625 kHz. and 50 Hz. I then tried repeating the process with DVI-I to VGA and VGA to 5xBNC adapters connected to input 2, with the same result. I also tried the Scart output on the satellite receiver, again with the same result.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Markwick
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2014 06:16 PM      Profile for Kevin Markwick   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Markwick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That all sounds hellishly complicated. May I suggest either make a DCP of the DVD in question, using DVD'omatic and loading it on your server. Bags of time 'till Christmas. Or finding a region free player, there are tons, with a component out. The third more expensive way is to get an HD Fury and then you can go HDMI to VGA. Looks fine.

The Cine IPM really should be retired soon IMHO.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2014 01:52 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I normally prefer to run DVD and Blu-Ray directly,, for one thing it really doesn't seem worth the time to make a DCP just for one show, but this isn't for a feature, it's only about ten minutes of material, so that may be the answer in this case.

There's no chance of the IPM ever being replaced; no money for new equipment.. it's normally digital signals that I have problems with; analogue works fine most of the time, both RGBHV and Y,Pb,Pr.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-02-2014 06:08 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, time enough to get into DCP making, it's really easy with DCP-o-matic and a DVD-grabber software.

Why not use Composite, if everything else fails?

For the Sync, try a separate ground connection to Pin17

Aside from that - does the player need to be codefree for this presentation? Better get a cheap BluRay Player also for future needs. What projector was it again?

- Carsten

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2014 07:40 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

I do sometimes make DCPs, usually of trailers, and recently made several of students' work , I work in a college, for a screening at another cinema. I don't usually make them from DVDs or Blu-Rays, it doesn't seem worth if for just a single screening, but I could do it in this case.

The cinema has both DVD and Blu-Ray players, but neither will play this disc.

It seems strange that the IPM won't work with the sync which I'm giving it; the manual certainly says that it should.

I don't really want to use composite, so making a DCP is probably going to be the easiest way, especially since it involves only a few minutes of material. I might even be able to get a better copy to work from than the one on the DVD, which is 16:9 letterboxed within 3:4 NTSC, I could try writing to the producers and see if they can offer me something better.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2014 01:02 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
+1 for it being time the IPM was pensioned off.

Also +1 for creating DCPs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: