Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Cinema Emulation

Author Topic: Digital Cinema Emulation
Pedja Ljubojevic
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Pedja Ljubojevic   Author's Homepage   Email Pedja Ljubojevic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently working on a small software system for the digital cinemas. I came to a point where I need to develop processes automation in order to fit projection booth work flow. Basically, I need to develop processes which would trigger cues at specific time, which would then change the audio and video source from digital cinema server attached to projector, to PC server (connected to projector through HDMI/DVI and with sound processor through standard jack connector or HDMI).

This software prototype is developed for the Doremi servers.

I am have found some JNIOR controllers that are relatively affordable, but would really appreciate if someone could help me out with the complete hardware/software setting recommendation that could most closely emulate digital cinema ecosystem for this purpose.

Thank you!
Pedja

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-27-2014 05:18 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if I understand. You develop something that will be an addon to a digital cinema installation, and you need something like a 'digital cinema Installation emulator' to test it?

- Carsten

Pedja Ljubojevic
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2014 08:44 AM      Profile for Pedja Ljubojevic   Author's Homepage   Email Pedja Ljubojevic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, exactly that.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-27-2014 10:04 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many variations in cinema equipment that a "standard" doesn't exist. Even with Doremi they have a server with dual SDI video where any alternative video input is via the projector DVI, a server with IMB that has an HDMI input, and an IMS server with HDMI. Note that some projectors (Barco S-series for example) have no DVI input - if you have a Barco S with the SDI input board there is no alternative input.
Doremi and GDC servers will communicate with almost any network device through the screen network: sound processor, automation, dimmer... Dolby servers will not - they only talk to compatible DOlby outboard equipment; serial communictaion is available through the single serial port (equals only one device or an interface talking to several like a Jnior running an application). The Dolby NA10 automation interface is not a good choice for several reasons.
The Jnior interface is excellent and has a depth of capabilities we have rarely used.
A typical digital cinema will always have a server and projector at minimum. Most will have a modern sound processor with network control but many conversions have used their legacy units with only basic relay automation. Dimmers are (with very few exceptions) relay controlled.
For your system, which seems to be for pre-show advertising delivery, you primarily need to switch between PC content and cinema content. WIth Doremi IMB and IMS systems, the server can not have a playlist running with the HDMI input selected: selecting HDMI during a playlist immediately ejects the playlist, starting a playlist while showing HDMI immediately deselects the HDMI input.
With HDMI you get audio through the IMB as if it was playing a playlist, but getting more than L/R stereo is tricky from a PC. With DVI you have to get audio into the sound processor separately.
Input control for DVI is through the projector interface. With an IMB or IMS the HDMI input select is through the server interface.
Doremi doesn't freely release their API so telling a server to do much beyond play or pause is not easy, IMB commands are somewhat available by looking at the messages in macro editor for the "certainty" functions you want on a Showvault, I've never tried sending these from other devices though.
I think all projector manufacturers have full command sets available if you ask.
It will be difficult to predict every situation you face. Things get quite complicated if, for example, you want to have alternative content on a Christie CP2000-S...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-27-2014 07:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run the Jnior automations at my 15 plex.

No issues with these small units outside of having to check the dimmer control leads attached to the side Phoenix plugs.

The screws that presses down on the pinch tabs will work themselves loose causing irregular dimmer action stemming from the weak pulses coming from the Jnior.

Thus, a periodical prevent maintenance check from time to time.

-Monte

Pedja Ljubojevic
Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2014 10:54 AM      Profile for Pedja Ljubojevic   Author's Homepage   Email Pedja Ljubojevic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Dave for your very extensive reply. It helped me so much!

In order to develop complete automatisation for the purpose I have described, I need to build beta version of the software which would work together with Doremi DCP-2K4 server and Christie CP2220 projector for a start. In order to develop this system from within my office, I would have to buy some used Doremi 2K4 server (which could be relatively affordable), but the major problem is making it fully functional without a projector connection. Now there is my main question - is there a way to make Doremi server fully functional without spending five figures on a projector? Is there a way to set the server so it can work without a projector connection (I don't need to see the picture)? Or is there some sort of projector emulator that could be attached to a server and thus making it fully functional (playing alternative and non-encrypted DCP content)?

Thank you!

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2014 03:07 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe my answer is a little bit out of topic but why don't ask some of cinema chains or independent cinemas for help in testing? You can make software and test it in their cinema (without spending any money expect for gasoline and coffee or u-ban) and later give it to them for free (compensation idea). What you will gonna do later is up to you [Smile]

If you need any help with this i can help you (documents, manuals, ideas, some testing, etc.)

BR Alex

Pedja Ljubojevic
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2014 01:34 AM      Profile for Pedja Ljubojevic   Author's Homepage   Email Pedja Ljubojevic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Aleksandar! The rest of the reply is in mail I have sent you (if I got your address correctly [Smile] )

Best regards,
Pedja

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: