Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » color meters

Author Topic: color meters
Kyle Mitchell
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2014 04:51 PM      Profile for Kyle Mitchell   Email Kyle Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which ones are approved by NEC and Christie? Anyone have any for sale?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-14-2014 05:07 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless Christie or NEC have developed an automatic calibration for their machines which I'm unaware of, there are no 'approved' colour metres.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2014 05:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not if a color meter is approved or not it's if it's designed to do the job you need and to what accuracy. The higher the accuracy the higher the cost. There are three primary meters in use today. I use a Minolta, there are also capable meters by USL and Photo Research. I also carry a Spectra screen brightness meter with at all times since I do not always carry the Minolta which is too expensive to leave bouncing around in the car all the time. Some ONLY measure color space and foot lamberts. The Minolta goes much further...

Occasionally used meters do come up for sale.

Photo Research

USL PC-100

Minolta CS-200

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 04:24 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Jeti, very small and convenient to carry around

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-15-2014 09:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the USL for the bulk of cinemas...very convenient. By and large, it does the job just fine.

For screening rooms and Dolby 3D, I prefer the Photo Research. It is the gold-standard in the DCinema industry. Its accuracy is the best.

However, while it is great to have all of this test equipment that spits out numbers to plug in...they are near meaningless if you don't have them calibrated. Most color meters need to be re-calibrated once per year for their readings to be accurate.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 09:38 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to argue about the calibration but AFAIK colour meters won't drift like a Dolby Clock if you don't calibrate them! I'm not saying you shouldn't have them calibrated on a regular basis though.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-15-2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ask a manufacturer how long they should remain accurate. Have more than one meter and see how long they agree with each other.

Depending on the method of reading the color, they are more or less prone to drift too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-15-2014 12:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is right. The sensors they use are very touchy, extremely sensitive and they do require frequent calibration. If you use it a lot or if it lives in your service vehicle then probably twice a year would be safe.

Mark

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 02:03 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the Photo Research PR-655 model at my location. For the main theatre and two DI rooms.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2014 05:51 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another consideration is the technology used to measure the color. I believe spectrometer-based instruments are more accurate than optical filter based instruments since the filter shape on the spectrometer instruments is defined by numbers in a table instead of layers on a lens. This is important with "spikey" sources like xenon. On calibration, it is unlikely that two instruments or an instrument and a source will drift the same. So, if the projector was calibrated with a recently calibrated instrument and later is still in tolerance, it probably is.

I'd like to again point out the USL LSS-100, which is permanently installed in the auditorium and, with the help of a test DCP, reports luinance, color, and SPL for each speaker.

Harold

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-15-2014 05:51 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Photo Research Cinebrate spectroradiometer is what I carried with me during my Christie jobs here in NM and TX.

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much does the USL LSS-100 cost out of interest?

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2014 05:36 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
List price for the LSS-100 is $785.00 US

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: