Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Red Frame Symbol on Dolby Server (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Red Frame Symbol on Dolby Server
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-14-2014 02:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I did the normal once a month or reboot of my Dolby DSS200 and checking in from home I noticed this:

-

What does the red film frame mean? Notice it is not the red X that means incomplete or corrupted material. That's a DCP I made from internet material using DVD-O-MATIC and it's been on there for months and has played correctly. The same mark appears on one other, also a self-made short. I would think that it might mean a different frame rate but it was never shown before. I even have an image showing this one displayed with no red flag. So my questions are what does it mean and why is it only appearing now. (I have not retested this material since it appeared.) What am I not thinking of?

I am running 4.3.5.9.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-14-2014 03:34 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It means "unsupported" (framerate or codec). Not sure why it's become unsupported after a reboot though...

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-14-2014 06:26 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird. I'll have to go try to play it. And reboot again.

It can't be the codec if it came out of DVD-O-MATIC, can it? The end result is just a container file filled with JPEG2000 files, no? So maybe frame rate.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 01:07 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently I have a significant problem. How that relates to the weird symbol I don't know.

-

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 04:27 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the 862 is the media block and it's responsible for playing back content but I wouldn't link the two issues.

First, remove power from the server (make sure it's not ingesting) and leave it off a few minutes. Power the projector off as well and disconnect the ethernet.

Wait 5 minutes, power everything on again, with the ethernet disconnected. When the GUI is up and running, plug the projector back. Then wait and see if it works. Don't rush, give it plenty of time.

If that does not work, reseat the short blue "link" cable on the back and repeat the above.

I've also seen cat 862s dying after a reboot. If you have the mediablock software, try to connect to the 862 by USB: if you cannot connect to it locally, you'll need a new 862.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 07:42 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm sure they're connected; too much of a coincidence not to be. The symbol may well relate to something about an odd frame rate but maybe some bug in the software prevents it from being shown normally. The tech from Dolby couldn't remember what it means either.

I've tried rebooting multiple times; likewise with the projector. Since going to larger RAID drives, I keep the originals in trays ready to go (same software). Putting them in made no difference. Reseated / replaced the jumper cable (though not yet the internal one). Going to the system area of the control display, pulling the cable causes an error message in red; it goes away when it's replaced. Where the cable plugs into the motherboard or whatever that is at lower left, the LED on the left of the socket is illuminated; the one on the right winks occasionally like they are talking but maybe that's only an attempt to talk.

Going to try to reload the 862 software. Hope that's all that's needed.

Could hardware fail on rebooting? Sure, especially since Dolby's rebooting requires powering down and thus thermal cycling. But I'm hoping it's just corrupt. A month running is plenty of time for the stored software to become corrupt and the action of rebooting is when it gets loaded in for use. Fingers and other appendages crossed.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-15-2014 09:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The red box is definitely an unsupported format. Since the CAT862 is what has to deal with the various formats...the lack of communication there likely is also not telling the system that you can support something like a 30fps Clip. I think the standard 24fps stuff is intrinsic into the system...but any formats that were added, like 30fps (and probably 25fps) will show the red box if the mediablock (or IMB) does not say that they can support it.

When you try to reinstall the software via the software update program, be sure to tick the "install all components" check box. That will wipe all of the settings to it and put it factory fresh...your KDMs will also need to be reloaded...but if it is software related, that should take care of it.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 09:36 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are running Dolby 3D, reinstalling as Steve said - which I recommend as well - will wipe the Dolby 3D calibration and AV delay.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 09:41 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No 3D. Thanks!

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2014 10:42 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten that symbol when I ingested some material that was encoded at
a frame rate that the system I was using did not support.

Apparantly there are some combinations of older projector & server software
that can not play back all frame rates even though they are supported in the DCI.

You can build that [X]'ed item into a playlist, but when you
run the show, the
system will just skip over it, as though it's not there.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 11:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I get the "transport not available" message, it means that I've forgotten to turn the power supply to the projector on. When I do, the error goes away. I've only ever once had a red flag on a DCP I've created with DCP-o-matic: that was one where I'd set the number of audio channels to 1 in the target DCP (because my source file was mono). After experimenting, I found that setting the number of audio channels to anything other than 6 in the output DCP, regardless of the number of channels in the source files, causes the red flag error on the DSS200. Despite the red flag, my mono DCP actually played OK, though, with the CP650 display showing a signal on the center channel only, as desired.

However, with one of the DSS200s I operate, I do sometimes get an intermittent problem whereby I get a "disconnected" in the bottom right of the control screen, and projector "douser open" / "douser close" cues in my playlists don't work (but the audio cues to drive the CP650, e.g. change the fader level, still do). Nine times out of then, performing a German reboot of the DSS200 solves the problem, but not always.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 11:36 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll bite. What is a German reboot? I conjure up a combat boot kicking the projector.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2014 12:55 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not unheard of for incorrectly formatted content to badly corrupt the servers database, and then all sorts of weirdness starts to happen.

The usual route out of that is to run unconfig, deleting all content. There is option 2 which basically does nothing beyond force it to rebuild the database.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-15-2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there's a problem with the two marked DCPs it's odd that they were not marked before and played fine.

After seeing the message about the 862 I rebooted with no change in the situation and then I swapped out the RAID drives. A while back I switched to larger drives and I still have the previous ones, mounted in the extra trays (but not kept in the server) so any suspected corruption can be dealt with by putting those in and restarting. I did that and still no change.

I was supplied with 862 update software & keys by Dolby but have been unable to connect from both a laptop and a PC to the Cat.862, either by USB or ethernet. No response to pings either. When the data link junper is in place I see flickering on both the motherboard and and the 862 end (have to look at the internal connector for that).

Norm from Dolby said a normally functioning 862 should have some of the four surface mount LED's near the power connection lit up. I have none.

I think the 862 is bad and not much more can be done.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-16-2014 08:21 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
OK, I'll bite. What is a German reboot? I conjure up a combat boot kicking the projector.
Metaphorically, that's basically it.

Sorry - that's a very politically incorrect phrase, which my father, who worked on mainframes in the '60s and '70s (when rebooting a computer was a major and risky engineering operation), taught me. What I meant by it was to reboot the server simply by disconnecting and reconnecting the mains power, without bothering to perform any of the recommended shutdown and/or restart procedures. I'm guessing that the adjective refers to the absence of subtlety and the implied use of brute force, ideas which have underpinned English jokes about Germany going at least as far back as WWI, if not earlier.

In any case, on a DSS200 (AFAIK) you can't perform any other kind of reboot anyway - there simply isn't any shutdown/restart option in any of the menus. To my knowledge, pulling the IEC plugs out of the back and putting them back in again, ideally at a moment when none of the hard disc lights are glowing, is the only way to do it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: