Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DOLBY SERVERS, setting TIME (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: DOLBY SERVERS, setting TIME
Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2014 06:38 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone known how to set the time on series 100 DOLBY SERVERS?
My machine thinks its' 2008 and won't let run modern movies.
Dolby is returning calls on a Sunday. HELP

Our town lost power for 6 hours and I assume the "watch battery" inside is dead.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have zero experience with the DSP100, but I guess you should be able to find a way to enter the BIOS right after starting up the machine by means of pressing some F- or DEL Key on an attached keyboard. Then adjust the time in the BIOS, should fix the SMS time being wrong. Then leave the machine running. And contact Dolby or your tech for a service. They may also want to look at the mediablock secure clock battery.

Have these failed already for anyone here, on early Dolbys, Doremis, GDCs, etc.?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-09-2014 07:41 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you have to replace the memory battery on the motherboard then reset the time using the bios. It's a common battery and a relatively common Supermicro motherboard. I've had to to it several times myself. These units are getting way past normal battery life. Do not open up the DSP-100!

Mark

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 11:08 AM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
24 HOURS and DOLBY HAS NOT RETURN OUR CALLS

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 02:49 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the same issue on an ICP board in one of my Barco projectors last week. We'd boot up the projector and immediately get a red tail light. Communicator showed an ICP board failure, but poking through the software I found the the internal time on the projector had reset itself to January 1, 1900 @ 12:00 a.m.

I had to set the time manually each day at start up and left the machine running for 4 days until Barco sent a replacement ICP board. As soon as I reset the time, the tail light turned green. Only thing wrong was probably a dead "watch battery", but they opted to replace the entire board.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-09-2014 05:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allan Barnes
24 HOURS and DOLBY HAS NOT RETURN OUR CALLS
That's why I quit using their products! It was very piss poor early on in digital. Like if you weren't friends with someone there you didn't get called back. Then things got a little better around 2008 or 9, then it got worse again. Of course they aren't interested in supporting the old unit much but everyone else has top notch tech support except them. The support is usually good once you actually get a voice at the other end.

Good Luck!

Mark

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 05:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused...you can just change the time on the projector willy nilly? Seems like an easy way to get around the time windows on KDMs...

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 06:18 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been recently discussed. The system clock on your server is not used to check the validity of your KDMs. The mediablock, where the crypto magic happens, keeps its own clock and that can only be corrected within very restrictive time intervals.

The clock on your projector (and/or IMB if you have one and that's actually a fully fledged server) is also not important for KDM validity.

quote: Carsten Kurz
Have these failed already for anyone here, on early Dolbys, Doremis, GDCs, etc.?
On normal PCs those last anywhere between two and ten years. Practically all of those servers use normal PC/server hardware so failures should be common by now.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 06:31 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a battery on the media block that will eventually fail as well? How is the time reset then?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-09-2014 06:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have had to replace a number of the motherboard memory batteries in older Dolby's. Eventually they will go bad in GDC's as well. Easy fix and easy to reset.

With the DSS-100 the media block is a completely separate unit (DSP-100) from the store. You don't want to ever open the DSP-100 because it is armed (sort of) and would have to be reset at the factory. You can't even replace a failed fan in it. Has to go back. The motherboard battery on the other hand is easy.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 06:45 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
Is there a battery on the media block that will eventually fail as well? How is the time reset then?
There is a battery on/in the mediablock as well. If that one fails, the mediablock is an RMA/(out of) warranty support case, since only the manufacturer can reset the time on that thing.

Since it's key to the studio's house of crypto cards that the stuff inside the media block remains a black box, only a very select number of hands, selected by the devil during full moon, may touch it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 07:16 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
There are documented procedures for most media blocks. You will get a notification from the server software if the secure clock battery is approaching end of life (either measured or estimated from operating hours).

Some media blocks have two batteries wired parallel, so you can exchange them one after the other without the clock going down. Others have an additional buffer capacitor that will grant you just enough time to exchange the cell.

If you miss the exchange window, the media block will have to go back to the factory.

- Carsten

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-09-2014 07:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby Cat862Z.

Just slightly off topic but should I be opening the DSS200 to clean dust buildup?

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2014 08:35 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around noon on Monday, I got a call from MIKE at DOLBY. He had read my cry for help here on Film-Tech. Now how he got my Canadian cell number I'm not sure... anyway he fixed me up. So here it is...
1 - TURN OFF SERVER for 1 MINUTE.
2 - TURN ON and HIT "DELETE" KEY many times until BIOS program starts.
3 - ENTER new time and date
4 - HIT F8 which is SAVE & EXIT
5 - BUY A NEW BATTERY and INSTALL before this !@#$% happens to YOU TOO [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-09-2014 10:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
F10 is the save command.

Mark, the Fans in the DSP100 ARE serviceable and that is about it in the DSP100. There are two stacked together.

I've never had a particular problem with Dolby's service.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: