Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Setting up FTP source on GDC Server

Author Topic: Setting up FTP source on GDC Server
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-05-2014 08:35 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to set up a management computer as an FTP source for a GDC server. The purpose would be for ingesting keys without having to insert a USB stick and then move it to the server. The computer in question is already on the network and able to connect to the server and projector.

In GDC, I know I need to set it up on the Sources tab under manage content, but I'm not sure what other steps to take.

|  IP: Logged

Trenton Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2014 10:43 PM      Profile for Trenton Thompson   Email Trenton Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty easy. Make sure you have a Filezilla server or some FTP server running on the PC you want to use. I have the same exact setup that you're wanting to run.

On the GDC under manage content go to sources tab like you said.

Click Add source.

For Source Name it can be anything you want, Ours is KDM Storage

Source Type will be FTP

Source IP will be whatever the IP is of the computer running the FTP Server in our case its xxx.xxx.172.25

Source Path will typically just be blank I believe. In my case my FTP server starts in the C drive but I wanted it to point specifically to the keys folder I have so in my case its documents/kdm in this box.

Username will be whatever you set it to on the FTP Server
Password will be whatever you set it to on the FTP Server

As you can see you'll need to setup some user accounts on the FTP Server. In filezilla its easy just click add users and give permissions as well as point to which folder you want.

PS: One trick I used in my setup is dropbox. It'll allow you to drop the keys from any computer over the internet and then if the dropbox software is installed on the management computer, the keys will autodownload to a specific folder and you can point the servers there. Just drag and drop then head up to the server to ingest or do it remotely.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-06-2014 12:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would there be a protocol where the KDM, that are being sent by the depots via email, be automatically extracted from the emails and unzipped prior to being inserted in Dropbox?

Then, the KDM content in Dropbox be automatically captured by the FTP client and sent to the proper target?

I'm doing just exact - extracting KDM's from emails, using Explorer to open up the zipped files to be saved on a thumbdrive, or a dedicated directory in the TMS where I use the GDC/TMS/Content/Key Ingest tab to ingest the keys in the LMS, then to be networked to the 15 GDC portable storage drives - each attached to a BARCO with the SX-3000 IMB installed.

Where, when I was with REGAL, it was automatically done by the depots to assigned location - we didn't have to do any of this manually.

thx-Monte

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-06-2014 04:57 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://gearmage.com/maildownloader.html

Our Sony has a 'hotfolder' option for KDMs. You can point it to an FTP or SMB target on the network and it will automatically ingest any KDM it finds there.

At some time, I have seen KDMs not coming as attachments, but only as download links in emails. But that vanished quickly - probably because it's not compatible with TMS needs.

I still prefer the 'old school' way of ingesting them manually one by one. I need to check KDMs anyway, so I can just as well ingest them in no time. A system of two or three separate applications to get the KDMs from email to server could also fail at multiple points.

Still, would be a nice feature for DropBox if files could be created automatically from email attachments.

- Carsten

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2014 08:15 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin i thought you were using the Cinedigm LMS? Or is this for th e Drive-In?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-06-2018 10:00 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1461 days since the last post.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-06-2018 10:00 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am connecting our drive-in network to our cinema network. I'm wondering if it's possible to set up one GDC to be content source for another GDC. Ultimately we're hoping to get DCDC to set us up so that content can be pushed from our Kencast to our drive-in rather than always having to receive hard drives. In the mean time it would be nice to be able to transfer content from a Cinema GDC server out to the drive-in GDC server.

For what it's worth, the servers will all be on the 10.194.185.x subnet.

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2018 10:48 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that can be done if you have a fast enough connection between the two servers and a network route between the cinema and drive in media networks. On the destination server, set the source type to FTP in Content Manager > Source, then enter the ETH2 IP address of the server you want to pull content from. The source path field can be left blank and you will need to enter GDC's username and password for content transfers. Also check the box labeled 'Show ingest content annotation text' so as to be able to easily identify different packages when figuring out what to transfer. The DCDC server can also be added as an ingest source on the GDC in a similar fashion.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-06-2018 11:18 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jason. We just installed a fiber optic line between our cinema and drive-in, so we should have plenty of speed.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2018 02:40 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In AAM Screenwriter TMS Just configure your email account , The kdm automatically Unzip and transfer to All Connected servers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: