Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Issue with Enigma link decryptor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Issue with Enigma link decryptor
Tommy Zackariasson
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2014 03:09 PM      Profile for Tommy Zackariasson   Email Tommy Zackariasson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got an e-mail from our tech-company (translated by Google):

"BACKGROUND
During the first months of 2014 encountered a problem that affects everyone using serial 2 -
projectors. DLP projectors use all the PCB " Enigma Link Decryptor " Playback
encrypted movie content. For the server to accept the connection to the projector so it requires that a number of
conditions are met. One of these is that there is available space in Enigma card to store new
log files .
Enigma card should always be empty at the log files. An emptying of these done every time a show or a clip has
has finished in the server, but : If play is stopped and closed manually before it times out so
will no log files will be extracted .
A common example : Projectionist stops playback before it has been finished because no visitor is left
in the auditorium to see the credits . "
All digital cinema servers retrieves consistent only log files from the same day and time as the current
playback is stopped . So why will the next film screening unable to extract log files from the
previous display . This is the cause of the problem.
Cinemas has called into problems related to this information sheet has had one or more of the following
messages on their projectors. ( Error taken from a Barco Series 2 )
1.Code 5835 : "ti -link decryptor - security log is almost full" ( Error )
2.Code 5836 : "ti -link decryptor - security log is full" ( Error )
3.Code 5831 : "ti -link decryptor - system error" ( Error )
Showing your projector on the error No. 1, playing after the current display is not up any more films. only
a show to result in projector is locked and thus demonstrates the error No. 2.
Would your projector to show the error message # 2 must Enigman replaced. The logs are then already filled to
max and will not go to get out of the projector.
Would your projector to show the error message # 3 but not in combination with any of the others. Try first
and foremost, a reboot of the projector. This need not be related to the problem log .
The solution is a manual extraction via your streaming server . However, there are a few requirements
versions that must be met before this can be done.
Note , a manual extraction does not always work . In some cases , the cards have been beyond redemption of
other reason than that the log files had an earlier date. In these few cases, so having one or more log files in
Enigma The card has become corrupt and hence they can not be charged out of the card. The problem then is that, although the
logs which are not corrupt nor can be removed. The cards that ended up in the position can not be saved and
must be replaced."

Sorry about the poor translation but I think you get the picture.
It seems that if you have a ti link decryptor version earlier than 1.6.22 you should upgrade asap!

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-02-2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Search the forum, the LD-Log issue has been discussed here a couple of times.

There are two known issues, one recoverable (log full, server needs to download/empty ld-log memory), one non-recoverable (all LD-Log memory marked as corrupt).

I would think that sooner or later all DLP manufacturers need to move about it considerably, or will risk a class action suit. Until now it seems they simply want to keep this under the rug. Which seems ridiculous to me given the nature and potential number of issues.

- Carsten

Tommy Zackariasson
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Tommy Zackariasson   Email Tommy Zackariasson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, missed that, sorry.

Tommy

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-02-2014 03:44 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't mean to repress you, just hinting at other discussions and information.

Actually this issue needs to be brought to attention as much as possible, as it means lost shows.

Looks as if manufacturers do not want to issue clear statements towards it. It's a TI problem, so all series II DLPs sold/installed with a specific range of firmware versions and operated 'classic style' with HD-SDI are affected. With a clear conceding statement towards the issue, I guess manufacturers would face a high number of compensation claims, even for those units out of warranty.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-02-2014 06:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have made a bit of a study on this one and if you search the forums as Carsten mentioned you'll see MANY other discussions on the matter.

By the description, this is a Barco projector (their error codes). Depending on your server and software revision, one can take preemptive measures as well as likely download the logs. In the case of the Dolby server, one has to be on System 4.7.0 or higher and there is a CLI script behind a log in password that will allow one to tell the Enigma to downloaded EVERYTHING...it takes about an hour. And then after that...you'll need to run 16 5-second blank shows in 5 minute intervals to pull them again in about 512 hunks. I have done this now on all of our customers preemptively after it successfully recovered about 8 "almost full" conditions.

Now the nasty one is once the enigma is full, it is a brick unless you are TI to recover it.

The even more nasty one is the corrupted enigma...as I understand it, if there was a problem during a download...say you killed the projector power while the security logs were being downloaded...you could get a corruption. There are 16 banks in the Enigma, each with 512 entries. The trigger will be cocked...because when the system makes it through downloading 8190 logs over the course of months the normal way...when it gets to that corrupted entry...BAM, the enigma bricks.

I have determined that Christie is the least likely to have this problem (by sheer luck, in my opinion because I doubt they knew about this potential when they designed the projector). Christie puts the Enigma on the PIB module...which stays powered since that is also the communication system...as such, the Enigma probably never loses power suddenly. This is not the case for either NEC or Barco...both of which I've had Enigma issues.

The other server brands also have a means to force the download and I've heard mixed results.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-02-2014 09:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can verify Dolby server version 4.7.0 does not fix the problem, and neither does 1.66.22 or 1.7 of the enigma software.

What Steve wrote is reality. My only recommendation for Barco and NEC owners is to NEVER turn the power off to the projector. As it has been explained to me, the enigma randomly does housekeeping (not just downloading logs at the end of a show) and if the power is interrupted during any enigma activity, then when the logs make their next round several months down the road...BAM it's dead (with no warning).

BTW the enigma "housekeeping" has no way to tell when it is happening, so even random power cycling of a Barco or NEC is a risk that will create a problem to surface several months down the road. (It won't "brick" the enigma at the time of the power cycle.)

Because of Christie's design, this issue is virtually non-existant.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-02-2014 09:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
My only recommendation for Barco and NEC owners is to NEVER turn the power off to the projector.
Do you mean, never turn off the master power switches OR never shut it down? We shutdown every night but due to those flaky switches, the main power stays on all the time.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-03-2014 06:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a side note. Enigma 1.8 is said to address this problem. My crystal ball says to look for it in the August-September time frame.

I have yet to loose an Enigma since Dolby 4.7.x has been issued. Those that were almost full were returned to clean/green status those that were preemptively cleaned never developed an issue. Our customers do power the projector down nightly.

My personal opinion is that TI should be warranting these boards until they get their software right...it is a design flaw that is very expensive to deal with at the theatre level. Furthermore, OEMs refuse to have them fixed outside of the 2-year warranty.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-03-2014 02:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike...

It's not really an issue with NEC-GDC. Although it used to be before a certain firmware version.

Mark

Tommy Zackariasson
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2014 03:03 PM      Profile for Tommy Zackariasson   Email Tommy Zackariasson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I can verify Dolby server version 4.7.0 does not fix the problem, and neither does 1.66.22 or 1.7 of the enigma software.
Now that is interesting Brad because this is what they say in the mail:
"If the (Dolby) server version is 4.7.0 or higher it doesn't need upgrading to solve the problem"
And later:
"If the Enigma is version 1.6.22 or higher it doesn't need upgrading to solve the problem"
Could it be that they mean that these versions are needed to be able to do the manual cleaning?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-03-2014 03:38 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They may just be referring to the regular log memory readout. No server update can help with the corrupt memory issue leading to bricked enigmas once it's starts building up.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-05-2014 05:10 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree TI should be held responsible for this. They cannot simply ask the customer to replace the boards. It is a software flaw and the customers are paying for it. Nice way to do business.

Steve,
Will we be able to see 1.7 on Barco by the time TI releases 1.8? [Smile]

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-05-2014 07:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Barco has opted to skip 1.7 since it doesn't seem to bring anything to the table (they skipped 1.5 too).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-05-2014 08:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if that is what happened to us last Friday:

a DP2K-20C suddenly stopped during a performance (it has the SX-3000 IMB installed in the slot). Thus, following procedure with IMB installs is to: shut down the IMB via the TMS, then kill the power to the projector (by flipping the breaker in the panel that controls this unit since we have no said booths at this location...which can be a PITA at times..) wait for 10 seconds the turn on the projector and this powers up the IMB. Then, reconnect in the TMS.

This trick worked, but again, presentation shut down after 40 min into the presentation. This time, the tech was called, who just happened to be in the area, looked at it and couldn't totally figure it out and had to call GDC on this one for some help.

Found out that the cache log file in the BARCO was all but full which caused the shutdown.

There was a firmware update that the "ST" can clear out the cache.

I remember then, that with BARCOS, that the log files cache needs to be emptied out from time to time to prevent this shutdown to happen. Tech did the firmware update and clear out the cache and our issue was taken care of.

Now, what I presented above: would this be the same issue, or something else, for it sounds like what happened here with my description above.

Now, going back to what Brad mentions about not shutting off the units, I know of a lot of locations that do weekly cold reboots at least once a week, including us. Thus, are we in danger of what happened in the above case?

thx-Monte

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-06-2014 05:31 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These Enigma/LD-Log issues do not occur on IMB systems.

There was, however, a similar problem with a corrupt file system in ICP software below 3.0. This was also caused by projector shutdowns in conjunction with a software flaw. And it was persistent over consecutive ICP software upgrades once it started to build up.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: