Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Determining lens and sensor from auditorium.

Author Topic: Determining lens and sensor from auditorium.
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2014 06:12 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cineplex has just changed the way the present films at Cineplex 24 in Toronto.

In the past, masking was used on all presentations. Starting this week, all presentations for all 24 screens will be projected onto a flat screen regardless if the screen is common height or width. Most trailers and all ads are flat, feature is scope.

Is there a way it can be determined without going into the booth whether a fixed , zoom or scope lens is being used? This should easily help determine the sensor usage.

Case in point. Last week a common height screen would open the masking to show a scope feature, this week the masking is closed and the scope image is letterboxed on the flat screen size.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-30-2014 06:22 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can be sure they are all using zoom lenses, then with a single flat lens setting.

The number of locations with fixed lenses/anamorphics is probably very small today. You would not be able to order a fixed lens anymore. Why would anyone do that?

Why Cineplex is doing that even if they have common height screens - maybe you could inquire, maybe they would even answer.

- Carsten

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2014 08:05 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure this isn't a Cineplex policy, as I know several booth personnel here in town that work for Cineplex, and they have told me that they have not been informed of any such policy.

It boils down to lazy or incompetence ( most likely both ) as to why the masking isn't set properly.

The fact that someone set up a single screen file for both formats is troubling though, especially in houses with common height screens.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-30-2014 09:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
They are probably just playing everything in flat so they don't have to jack with macros or cues on the playlists. Scope simply letterboxes itself within flat (with some loss of picture on the sides).

This is what happens when showmanship and professionalism are tossed aside. We end up with masking-less auditoriums and an "all movies in flat" mentality.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2014 12:45 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is disgusting!!

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-31-2014 01:06 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thought that occurs to me is they might have inVision lenses. We initially had these on our projectors and had all kinds of issues with focus drift. If they are having those kinds of problems, I could see where they might decide to play everything in flat to avoid format changes which would lead to focus problems.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2014 10:48 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eek, bet that looks naff! Can't beat masking and tabs! Presentation is 9/10ths of the law, or something like that!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-31-2014 10:54 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time when BARCO had a serious flaw in the lens control software, causing lost fokus and zoom setting, that lasted for over a year.
I know quite a few cinemas disabled lens macros during that time completely.

- Carsten

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2014 11:02 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did barco not issue a software update?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-31-2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not for a year or so...

Naturally, also Kinotons and Cinemeccanica Barco clones suffered from the same issue.

It was not your ordinary focus drift thing, it was a real issue, but I think limited to B-Series.

I couldn't believe it took Barco so long to fix it. Someone said Barco was in a critical condition at the time financially.

- Carsten

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2014 11:45 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
You would not be able to order a fixed lens anymore. Why would anyone do that?
Sure, you can still get them, for example from Schneider - see brochure.

They are used in many giant screen venues, where you need really short focal lengths. As you can see, the Schneider DiStar+HD goes down to a 0.72:1 ratio on 4K. Apparently they are really good optically, and damned expensive of course.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Antti Nayha

They are used in many giant screen venues, where you need really short focal lengths.

With what you just mentioned, does anyone know if there is a sure fire way of determining whether a cinema is using a fixed vs zoom lense?

Is there some type of clue that would tip you off? for example: changing aspect ratios from flat to letterbox to scope to pillar box.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-31-2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Even for curved screens, I thought 'digital' lenses for curved screens were an entire myth...

@Terry - as I said, you won't find these fixed lenses in too many ordinary, even large screen, installations. Depending on the programming, and screen/masking, you may be able to see the imager frame in a darkish grey tone around the image.

With a zoom lens, you would sometimes see this frame growing or shrinking with the lens macros, they can easily be seen on unmasked screens once you know what to look for. Depending on the programming of the show, sometimes you see the movie beginning with the lens zooming in and out. That at least is a clear indication of a zoom lens.

On a screen with a fixed lens, this 'black level' is usually visible constantly same size if the emergency lights are not too bright. DLPs typically have bad black levels, so you should be able to find out wether that dark frame stays constant in size between e.g. pre-show and scope movies.

But then it could still be just a zoom lens operated without a format change as you mentioned above.

In that case, the only way to find out is to enter the booth and have a look at the lens.

- Carsten

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-31-2014 05:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what DLPs you are referring to, but I've yet to come across a Sony (which is what I'm assuming you are referring to as a comparison) that had better blacks than a DLP. For that matter I've not seen a Sony that had better blacks, colors, sharpness or really anything at all better than a DLP.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-31-2014 06:14 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I'm not going to discuss Sony things with you.

At 2000:1, the sensor frame is easily visible at spec brightness levels without screen masking. Even more so with the S2k or 4k DLP chipsets operating below 2000:1

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: