Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Can "anyone" install a Dolby Atmos system? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Can "anyone" install a Dolby Atmos system?
Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2014 11:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't literally mean anyone, I'm more curious as the weather Dolby is still gatekeeping Atmos installs? I read they initially were selective about them.

I'm asking because in the next 12-18 months, we will be doing a lot more upgrades on our theater to continue modernizing it. Our large auditorium (340 seats, 60'x78' WxD) seems like a good candidate for immersive sound.

Any companies you recommend?

I know it probably sounds crazy for a "small town" theater owner to drop the gargantuan cost of a Atmos system in their theater, but I want the best and our projections say we can afford it.

|  IP: Logged

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2014 01:21 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes anyone can ;-)

Dolby will come and bless the system though.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2014 04:22 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, at any rate, one must have the design approved by Dolby.
They won't release the CP850 without that in place.
'Anyone' can perform the physical installation, then Dolby come to site, line it up and sign it off.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-30-2014 05:41 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete is spot on and his description is exactly the same in the USA.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2014 08:13 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you give it a good ear test before you let the Dolby tech leave. I recently heard one Atmos EQ disaster thanks to them.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2014 08:18 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
apparently no one listened to the set volume level at the AMC Tyson's location - quite a few of the movies have been at near ear bleed intensity.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2014 03:52 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The default level to which they EQ is insane. They EQ it to 7.0, but there's just way too loud. I have one of our screens running at 6.0 and the other at 6.2, and even those settings are a bit worrying. Luckily, atmos audio is much deeper in general. When it gets loud, it actually sounds good. Complaints of it being too loud are generally very rare.

Oh, and do be careful with your server selection if you do go for an install. If it's a Dolby server, there's no trouble. But if you try to run it on a GDC or something, definitely contact them in advance for all of the installation details. When we installed our second screen on a GDC server, we tried following the diagram available on their FTP. Didn't work. They ended up sending us a new diagram that was quite a bit different. Had to install a second switch too. Good grief, it was a mess. Clear that up ahead of time so you don't end up wasting a week trying to get it working too.

Oh, and be sure to get a new server certificate if using an existing server. That's what caused a half-week of key-related headaches for us here.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-31-2014 04:22 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allen Theaters here in NM have done three Atmos installs so far - one each in Roswell (Galaxy 8), Las Cruces (Telshor 12), and Farmington (Animas 10). Not big markets. Don't know who did the actual installs though...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-31-2014 07:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Atmos has so much headroom I'm concerned that someone could get hurt! With a Dolby Digital system if everything was run at full steam you ended up with 3x103dB + 2x100dB + 1x113dB. With Atmos, you end up with 5x105dB + 1x115dB + (put the surround number here)x102dB. It could be dangerous!

One of the reasons why Atmos sounds better is the massive headroom the system can provide, hence the components are driven at a more reasonable level and the overall distortion is lower. Not rocket science, but it's an unknown subject to those who keep installing budget sound systems.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2014 05:22 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With a Dolby Digital system if everything was run at full steam you ended up with 3x103dB + 2x100dB + 1x113dB. With Atmos, you end up with 5x105dB + 1x115dB + (put the surround number here)x102dB. It could be dangerous!
I don't know for sure but I can only assume that there are limits on the mixing side that doesn't allow encoding that will cause unsafe levels on playback. Unlike Dolby Digital, the mixer can't encode each speaker to play max level.

If they are using the beds, then the entire "channel" will be at a certain level but each individual surround speaker will be nowhere near it's max output.

Each speaker needs all that headroom because certain auditorium shapes can lead to a relatively low number of surround speakers on some walls in a large room.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-03-2014 05:51 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the CP850 has to be completely aware of the full installation details, it could actually detect dangerous conditions and apply limiting. Wether it is doing it, I have no idea.

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2014 07:22 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone aware of public limits to minimize hearing damage? I've seen occupational limits by the US OSHA. Generally, they establish a dosage where 100% is 85 or 90 dBA continuously for 8 hours. Higher levels increase the dosage faster. But, these are occupational, not public. Also, most movies are not 8 hours long.

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-03-2014 08:32 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Europe for all sorts of venues like clubs, concert halls, etc.

There are quite a few devices available that combine a spectrum analyser + weighting with a limiter. They are all two-channel, though some can be setup in linked mode for multichannel installations.

Luetronic SPB 420
Apex Argos
Dateq SPL-3
Prefer SBX-2
Outline Domina
Rodec ALC-01
Master Audio SSL-1

Basically, every Limiter/Compressor can be used to do that, but these dedicated devices e.g. have their thresholds password protected or security seals over their controls. Some offer logging so that actual levels can later be reported.

I have never heard about them being applied to cinemas. Aside from some open air cinema events, but then the intention was to protect the neighborhood, not the audience.

For fixed cinema installations, they do not seem to care that much, probably because there is some defacto internal regulation already there with mastering, installation and Dolby 7 reference, etc. Also it seems to be acknowledged that movies only contain spurious high levels, unlike some concerts.

IMAX, however, could definitely need something like that ;-)

- Carsten

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-03-2014 10:50 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many crews does Dolby have in the field either installing Dolby Atmos systems or inspecting installation designs? I'm wondering if there's some kind of bottle-neck going on, at least in terms of installs here in the United States.

Just going by what I see at Dolby's website and their Atmos equipped theaters map, it seems like there are hardly any new/recent Dolby Atmos installations at all in the US, despite the 2014 Summer movie season being underway and there being a good number of movies with Dolby Atmos mixes due for release. Kansas City got a couple more Atmos screens. Maybe another one or two went into Michigan. The Toronto region might have gained a couple more. I don't see many other recent installs in North America.

Markets like Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston don't have any more Atmos equipped screens than they did last year. The same is true in many other markets, like Miami, DC and Seattle. Meanwhile Cinemark is deploying Auro 11.1 systems at what seems like a pretty brisk pace even though Cinemark hasn't been doing squat to advertise Auro at all and the format still has a dimsal lack of titles. Nevertheless, Texas now has more Auro-equipped theaters than Atmos.

A lot of new Atmos installations have been going into places like China, India, Russia and some other parts of Europe. But Atmos progress here in the United States appears to have ground to a halt. That's why I wonder if Dolby just has a backlog of installs they have to approve or if DTS' OpenMDA vaporware has taken all the wind out of Dolby's sails.

quote: Paul Mayer
Allen Theaters here in NM have done three Atmos installs so far - one each in Roswell (Galaxy 8), Las Cruces (Telshor 12), and Farmington (Animas 10). Not big markets.
Las Cruces has 2 Atmos equipped theaters, both operated by Allen Theaters (the Telshor 12 and Cineport 10). Strangely, bigger cities in this region, Albuquerque and El Paso have no Atmos equipped theaters. El Paso does have 4 Auro 11.1 equipped theaters and Albuquerque has 1 (they're all Cinemark/Century "XD" screens).

Given the size of smaller cities like Roswell and Farmington, I have to wonder how far Allen Theaters has gone in configuring those Atmos screens. Do they have a minimal number of amps, making the systems closer to something like a conventional 9.1 channel based setup or did they put in a whole lot of amps like other more prominent Atmos installations? I can't help wonder if someone running Allen Theaters just has deep pockets. The oil economy in New Mexico has been doing pretty well.

quote: Lyle Romer
If they are using the beds, then the entire "channel" will be at a certain level but each individual surround speaker will be nowhere near it's max output.

Each speaker needs all that headroom because certain auditorium shapes can lead to a relatively low number of surround speakers on some walls in a large room.

Each surround speaker needs that extra headroom (and performance capability) to properly render individual point-source objects in specific places within the surround field. If you have an object playing from just one or two speakers in a surround array they're going to need to play the audio element loud enough for anyone in the room to hear it.

quote: Harold Hallikainen
Is anyone aware of public limits to minimize hearing damage? I've seen occupational limits by the US OSHA. Generally, they establish a dosage where 100% is 85 or 90 dBA continuously for 8 hours. Higher levels increase the dosage faster. But, these are occupational, not public. Also, most movies are not 8 hours long.
Decibel levels alone are insufficient to use in drafting hearing safety guidelines. Frequency level in relation to decibel level should be the standard. Unfortunately that's more difficult for politicians and people who dislike loud movies to understand. There's no doubt a high frequency audio element, like a gun shot, played at 120db would be painfully loud. Sub-bass rumbling at 120db won't cause any hearing damage much less be painful to listeners; it can be pretty thrilling, provided the amps and speaker drivers can handle it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-03-2014 11:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have to set the fader on 4.0, for even 5.0 is just too loud on our two CP850 units...and we have two 340 seat houses with 65ft screens in them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: