Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco "s" series - USB communication (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barco "s" series - USB communication
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-26-2014 02:33 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco DP2K-8s/10s projectors do not have a serial port connection (except through the touchpanel cable which I don't have). The manual says the USB "B" connector can be used for control but it is called "virtual comport RS232".
Has anyone tried using this connector for projector control/setup, and if so... how do you do it? It's a holiday and the tech on duty at Barco doesn't have the answer.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-26-2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, have you tried hooking up a computer to it via USB and then seeing what options show up in the serial drop-down box? I would give that a try. Definitely have the latest Communicator, 4.8.13 when you give it a go.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-26-2014 04:25 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, I was wondering how to connect to a Barco S when the IP was unknown. Let us know!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-26-2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be one of the popular USB->RS232 converters built in, so that you're able to connect to the Barco without a notebook with physical COM Ports. In that case you would see a driver installation popup when plugging the cable in. Or, you have that particular chipset driver already installed from a previous converter installation (Prolific, SILABS, FTDI, etc.) and the Barco then would simply show up on a virtual COM Port. Just give it a try and look into windows' device manager.

If the Barco implements it's own USB-Serial Bridge, then a recent version of Communicator would need to have a driver built in the software or the installation routine.

- Carsten

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2014 05:44 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten may well have it.

You plug it into your laptop, run DCP Communicator, you'll notice that you can select a serial port you didn't have before.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-27-2014 08:01 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Windows doesn't even notice anything is plugged into USB, no "installing new device" popup, no unknown device in device manager.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2014 12:38 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows doesn't report anything for me either Dave, I mean a serial port you didn't have before in DCP Communicator. I'll take a screen grab next time I'm near one.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-28-2014 02:18 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know FTDI has devices that report as generic HID devices with no explicit installation dialog - like a keyboard or mouse. It's there, but not as an unknown device.
Then an application can use internal drivers to access it.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-28-2014 05:26 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't checked myself but last time a device was not listed on the device manager I found it under "devices and printers"

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-28-2014 09:04 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing found in device manager, no new ports in communicator. maybe someone at Barco knows but no answer yet. The tech I spoke to did say there were no drivers that would load on connection, just that there was "some way" to use the USB as serial.
If I can get that devilish round touchpanel connector I can make a serial cheater cord.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2014 12:28 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with a 8S tomorrow morning, I'll have a look at how it works. I've never given it any real thought as it's always just worked for me.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-30-2014 05:15 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, it installs a device called "USB <-> Serial" and a "USB Serial port" shows up in the device manager.

Very clever. Windows 7 found the drivers itself, not sure if they come with Windows or with Communicator.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or are on the projector?

I'll put the screengrabs up in due course.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-30-2014 02:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
port driver properties should indicate which kind of device it is, e.g. Manufacturer ID.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-30-2014 05:25 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a driver could be downloaded from the device you need the drivers to connect to!
I am not sure if it got the drivers from Windows Update or from the OS, I wasn't looking.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: