Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Solaria One + alternative (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Solaria One + alternative
Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 06:27 AM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to purchase three new cinema servers and projectors. I've been using the Solaria One + for the past 10 months and definitely not happy with the product. Too many bugs, i feel like using a beta product. I'm still waiting for Christie to fix a lens shake problem, it's been 7 months and still no solution in sight.

Anyways, can anyone recommend a reliable cinema 2/4K projector from a company with great after sale support. Ideally, something small and does not need a ventilation duck. As for the cinema server, we most likely will go with Doremi. Thx

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 06:52 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's Barco and NEC. Both are good, we have mostly Barco but I can't complain much about either.
Ask at Cinema Excentris what their experience with Barco/Doremi has been.
For server Doremi SV/IMB is more expensive than their IMS but you get more IMO. I have not seen a Barco "Alchemy" ICMP yet but they look good on paper.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 08:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone with an early Alchemy IMS in his DP4k, but I haven't heard about the price yet. Software is still in early condition. The Barco DP2k-10Sx certainly is the better choice over the NEC900C or Solaria One given the small difference in price.

Wondering about the price difference between a DP2k-10Sx with Doremi IMS vs. Alchemy.

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 09:06 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Youmay also want to consider the USL CMS-2200 server.

Harold

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 11:03 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see a CRU drive slot on that USL server. Or am I missing something?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 11:14 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have a hard time building a CRU slot 'into' an IMB or IMS, per space constraints in a series2 projector.

You have a choice of either NAS, external CRU-Slot (MoveDock), USB/E-SATA drives, etc. on those IMB/IMS servers.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 12:40 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USL one says eSATA ingest but the image is not clear - I don't see an eSATA connector but there are two "link" connectors I can't identify: displayport?
Doremi IMS has USB ports, no eSATA.
Alchemy has only USB as well.
USB3.0 ingest is fairly fast, if you get a USB3.0 docker (haven't seen one yet with a drive, if there is one it's the USB2.0/eSATA type). Doing ftp transfer from a PC through the gb ethernet is faster than USB2.0 if you can handle doing that, it's a bit complicated to get a PC set up to read the ext2/3 drives and you need an eSATA connection to the docker to get the speed improvement over local USB ingest.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-20-2014 01:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold.... I wish your server had showed up on the scene a lot earlier then it has...

One has to use an external CRU bay on IMB type servers. They make both rack mount and shalf type that connect to eSTATA.

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 01:58 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Christie is not making the IMB slot available to other manufacturers of IMB's or IMS's. This seems in violation of DCI but so be it.

I'm not sure anyone would want to work on and IMB for such a new projector. Maybe things will settle out and Christie will relent.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 03:11 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know some people around here don't like Sony, but there's also the "small" Sony, the SRX-R515P. It's a 4K machine using UHP lamps instead of Xenon lamps. It does require a ventilation duct though.

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 04:13 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the suggestions…

I just want to mention that at this point reliability and support is my # 1 priority and with the experiences i've had with Christie, i rather go with tried and true technology as oppose to something new. With that said can you guys suggest some projectors and server model as there are so many to choose from ? Thx

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 04:25 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony 510 is the little brother of the 515, which is being delivered for over a year now. Techwise, they are absolutely identical, and they operate rock solid. Typically with less issues than a classic DLP+server combo. And it's 4k with an impressing contrast figure.

If you have the feeling that a 'classic' Doremi is what you want, then I'd choose the Barco DP2k-10S in a classic IMB+ShowVault configuration. Don't know how much more a Christie 2215 with IMB/ShowVault would cost you. But the Barco DP2k-10S is a very nice machine with good built quality and great flexibility compared to the NEC NC900C and Solaria One.

Depends a bit on your storage/TMS requirements, will these be centrally controlled, or individual setups, single screens, etc.

The more 'networked' they are, TMS, etc, the more an IMS with limited local storage and control is 'okay'. The more standalone, a classic ShowVault type config would be useful, as it offers the most flexibility.

What about screen size, 3D?

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 04:41 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USL CMS-2200 supports eSATA and two USB 3.0 ports for content ingest. Drives will plug directly into the CMS-2200 via eSATA. For CRU drives, CRU has single and dual bay drive solutions that provide eSATA and USB 3.0 outputs that will plug directly into the CMS-2200.

BTW – we have completed testing on USB 3:0 and eSATA and confirmed the CMS-2200 can stream HFR content directly from the drives.

The CMS-2200 also supports content transfer via FTP from a computer (server) or from another CMS-2200.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 04:47 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold - has there been any specific testing in certain projectors yet, heat budget, compatibility issues, etc.?

The CMS-2200 looks very interesting, I read the manual a while ago.
Just wondering how successful a new IMS can be now, especially with no tight marketing with specific projectors/brands. I'm afraid these new servers become available a little late?

- Carsten

Robert Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Robert Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For best results with digital cinema I would recommend using a Barco projector mixed with a quality server.

I see the CMS-2200 being mentioned and I will say that I've tested it and it's a wonderful product. Ingest can be done on it through USB 3.0 or eSATA and a theatre can either choose to use the CRU Carriers provided by the film companies or simply buy a rack mount CRU bay so you can ingest one or two drives at once. Here are some part numbers of products from CRU-Inc to products that work great with the CMS-2200.

40610-3199-0000 = RAX215DC-3QJ, 1U 2 bay Rack, JBOD, SATA 3.0Gbps w/ 2 x (1)eSATA, (2)FW800/400, (1) USB 3.0, Single P/S, Accepts (2) DX115 DC Carriers (Frames Only, No Carriers), No Key Locks, Black, RoHS (DC MSRP $764)

40610-3199-0001 = RAX215DC-3QJ, 1U 1 bay Rack, JBOD, SATA 3.0Gbps w/ 1 x (1)eSATA, (2)FW800/400, (1) USB 3.0 & 1x Open Bay with Cover, Single P/S, Accepts (1) DX115 DC Carriers (Frame Only, No Carriers), No Key Locks, Black, RoHS (DC MSRP $564)

Most dealers can get the CRU bay units but if you cannot find them then I can source them for anyone needing a few.

One other thing to note about the CMS-2200 is that it's power consumption is a slim 48 watts so feel free to leave it running without running up your power bill (like a conventional server). The CMS-2200 is also using an extremely stable set of solid state drives AND it comes with the CMSA automation system which can be used in conjunction with the internal serial over Ethernet automation built directly into the CMS itself.

A CMS-2200 and a CMSA combined make up a fully functional server with a complete automation and override panel that will serve the purpose of just about any cinemas needs. The override panel is easy to wire and has conventional "Start" and "Stop" buttons which are a great feature for quick access to the operation. If I recall correctly the CMSA hole pattern also fits into the Eprad pedestal's vertical drawer where the conventional Eprad automation would normally mount so it's easy to wire into the pedestal. The unit then has an additional port to mate up with another CMSA so you can rack mount an override panel where ever you wish by just connecting two units with Cat5e.

Very slick set of products with an excellent value and price point.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: