Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Need Contact Info / Help connecting audio for BluRay

Author Topic: Need Contact Info / Help connecting audio for BluRay
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need contact info for any theatre using blu-rays or DVDs.

Bob

[ 05-17-2014, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-17-2014 01:55 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why? Are you going to go and hunt them all down and yank the players out? (Kidding) [Wink]

But seriously, just about every multiplex I know of has BluRay/alt content set up on at least one or more screens. It's getting to be pretty common now.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2014 02:21 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike. I want to run blu-ray classic films in my 37 seat auditorium and would like some advise on hooking up the sound to my sound rack (Dolby CP55).

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-17-2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few ways this can be done.

1) The easiest is to run the analog stereo out from the BluRay player into the non sync input on the CP55. Disadvantage is that it isn't true 5.1. But it's pretty fool proof and damn reliable.

The next two options assume the CP55 has a 6-ch analog input. I've not worked with a 55 before so I'm not sure that it does. If so, you will need to be familiar with the pinout for the source device and the pin-in for the 55. Be prepared to roll your own cable!

2) The next way would be to have an external A/D converter that can take the digital SPDFF or coax output of the bluray player and convert it to 6 discrete analog outputs. I've got a strong preference for the Dolby DMA 8+ but there are other options. Some early BluRay players even have a built in A/D and feature discrete outputs for all 6 channels right on the back. Simply run it into the 6 ch input on the 55.

3) Another option is to use a dedicated AV scaler like the Geffen CineScaler Pro II or III. It takes the HDMI signal from the player, pulls the 5.1 out into 6 ch analog, and passes the video out of a DVI port. You can run the 6ch out into the 6 ch in on the 55. As before, the pinout will be diferent, so you will need to consult both manuals to figure out how to roll your own cable for it. A straight DB25 won't work.

4) This last option is the one I have the least personal experience with, but if the projector has an IMB, you can have the IMB do all the work for you. Simply plug the bluray into the HDMI port on the IMB. You will need to get into the GUI on the screen server in order to instruct the IMB to go to the HDMI input. From what I understand, it SHOULD pass through the 5.1 to the sound processor the same as though it were coming from a DCP. Again, I've not tried this method personally.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-17-2014 05:37 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're running d-cinema with a CP55 then it has a 6 channel input for the server audio, basically the CP55 is modified as for a DA-20 and you use that input.
If you have a 6 channel analog output you can just use that input. Easiest but operationally difficult is to wire the blu-ray sound to a compatible plug (usually DB-25) and change plugs for sound switches. Odyssey has an automatable switch card that you can operate from an automation interface.
You can also take stereo analog from the blu-ray and feed it to the CP65 non-sync input. You can have the processor do matrix decoding and get multichannel sound.
Or use a scaler that handles the sound as well. The Christie/geffen scaler does this. It will decode various multichannel audio formats. The Dolby DMA-8 will handle the audio and decode DOlby Digital audio but (no surprise) will not decode DTS audio. (or Dolby TruHD sound either).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-17-2014 10:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
You will need to get into the GUI on the screen server in order to instruct the IMB to go to the HDMI input.
Dolby's DS200 has this feature where one can HDMI into the CAT-745 IMB from the player, assign an event macro for the projector to recognize the HDMI input and have your optical disc show. Just have to assign the sound processor where the sound is coming from to process for sound output.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: