Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Blu-rays and the CP2220

Author Topic: Blu-rays and the CP2220
Brian Rainbeau
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2014 02:07 PM      Profile for Brian Rainbeau         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys,

We just got a new CP2220, and I'm trying to play a blu-ray disc from a Sony player using HDMI out with an HDMI to DVI-D adapter. The resulting image is either squished or stretched depending on what blu-ray settings I use. I was told the CP2220 has no ability to stretch or compress an image, is there anything I can do to fix this? The blu-ray player is designed to be used with 16:9 and 4:3 TVs, could this be part of the problem?

Thanks,
Brian

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-16-2014 02:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell your BluRay player that you want 1080p output...all of the time. You also want RGB (or "computer") output.

Despite what some may have told you, there is a scaler in the projector and it can squish/stretch but it has to be told to do that. First things first...get your BluRay outputting what will be best for the cinema... 1080p

Brian Rainbeau
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2014 03:07 PM      Profile for Brian Rainbeau         Edit/Delete Post 
That did the trick. We had the blu-ray outputting additionally to an analogue monitor, and when I switched to HD output the monitor went blank. It's something I'll have to figure out, but for now just getting a proper image on the screen is good enough. Probably time for a monitor upgrade and the addition of an HDMI switching device.

Thanks,
Brian

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-16-2014 06:07 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
analogue cannot be output at 1080p, it's done on purpose to avoid you saving a high definition version of the signal.
You may want to try with a proper splitter but good luck. Welcome in the HDCP world.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-16-2014 06:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, you want a HDMI splitter/switcher and a 24p capable small flat TV. Set your BluRay Player to 24p. A lot of cheap computer monitors will have HDMI inputs with HDCP - but hardly any will support 24p. You need to look for small flat tv sets with 24p capability.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-17-2014 07:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that with HDMI...it is a least common denominator format. Each device has an EDID table that will define what it is capable of. The source device will see those and output the best format that all sinks (displays) can handle. So your monitor can muck it all up in both picture AND sound. By setting your BluRay to a fixed output, you can pretty much told your monitor to "blow." At least when it comes to the picture.

I'm a big believer in using switchers that maintain EDID and HDCP and act as a sink and source...this relieves the source from these duties. You define in the switcher what you want and force everything to comply and those that can't also cannot pull down the show. It also means that when you switch your preview monitor on line, it doesn't cause an HDCP handshake again. Naturally, these devices are not typically cheap but they do go a long way to preventing embarrassment and an otherwise shabby show.

If all you want is a BluRay...then getting a monitor that can match (1080p/60 and 1080p/24) is sufficient. Heck, some BluRay players like the Oppo BDP-103 have two HDMI outputs and one can be set for picture while the other is set for sound as well as merely duplicating the image on both. The bulk of what we are selling now are the Oppos because they do what most cinemas seem to want.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2014 12:35 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For preview, I am using car reversing camera 7" colour monitors from ebay; cost me here around £25 new plus a 12v PSU. The only take composite (i.e. the yellow RCA phono) in to them, but this is fine for preview. Both my panasonic and sony machines output both hdmi at 1080 and composite from the video out at the same time.

As an extra note, my very old Sony Blu-ray can also output at 1080i over analogue composite too (but it's about 6 years old)

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-29-2014 06:30 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Analog composite outs will not support 24p. You will have to show all BluRay discs in 50i or 60i if using an analog preview monitor.

A HDMI splitter or switcher + a 24p capable small tv is the better choice.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: