Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi IMB GPIO (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Doremi IMB GPIO
Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2014 05:59 PM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone,

I am working on integrating some potentially useful interfaces with our projection setup, and primarily I'm interested in the GPI on the Doremi IMB...

I have already, a while ago, created some custom GPO's for our system, controlling lights and and tabs etc. via relays, and I was able to scrape together that the GPO's were Open Collector which allowed me to then easily create the external electronics.

I am now looking into the GPI to wire some buttons that will when linked to custom trigger cues, and taking advantage of the new markers and segments in the latest 2.6.4 Doremi software, allow me to jump around the SPL on button presses, exit from intermissions etc..

My question is, anyone know how the internal electronics of the GPI's is configured? i have seen that the GPI's on the old DCP-2k (non IMB) were opto-isolated, but I tried a simple config that would have worked that failed to register, no either my cobbled together thing wasn't creating enough current, or its set up differently.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Owen.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-16-2014 05:56 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have noticed the schematics in the Doremi manuals?

- Carsten

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2014 09:31 PM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking in the field installer manual on the doremi ftp site only shows the pinout for the rj45, not how to drive the internal electronics properly...

I see a reference to # CRT.OM.001118.DRM...

I sent an email to doremi support (about something else), and was referred to the ticketing system... however, when creating an account for the doremi ticketing system, it was then immediately blocked...

knowing the same will happen again I came here... anyone know what that document contains?

Thanks for your help,

Owen.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2014 10:24 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is assuming Doremi improved on the imput trigger cues. I don't know anyone who has been able to get them to work reliably on the server, but one would assume they work better on the IMB/IMS. With anything in the digital cinema realm, you should throw any logical assumptions out the window, because engineers minds rarely work that way.

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2014 11:24 PM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

thanks for the advice, I hope my Electronic Engineering Degree allows me to get into the engineer's mind! If I can get the relevant documentation (# CRT.OM.001118.DRM) I will report back if I am successful or not!

Owen.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2014 05:15 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've requested that document more than once, yet to see it [Frown]

Owen, I've got the GPI working on several IMBs, and reliably on server (Joe I dunno what you guys are doing, but no probs here)

I just followed the book, with the exception that the IMB does not provide any voltage.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-17-2014 06:03 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would assume that the electronics behing the IMB and IMS GPIO are the same as on the older MediaBlock GPIOs. Have a look into the DCP2000/2k4 manuals!

- Carsten

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2014 11:08 AM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Karl, heres the main issue, I assumed they may be the same, so using another document, I created a simple 5v setup, with 5v going to GPI1+ via a switch, and GPI1- (not a fan of - sign to denote 0v, confusing if you have a system with a -ve voltage rail) going to 0v. according to the DCP2K, this will work.....

By the fact it didn't, I now don't know if they are the same or not.... i was going to try again tomorrow, and test a few things out, like continuity etc (with diode you get a resistance reading when using continuity, with LED's if its visible you also get a small amount of light generated).

Thanks for the help thus far,

Owen.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-18-2014 07:18 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can find CRT.OM.001118.DRM here:

http://outty.org/Content/CinemaTech/Doremi/IMB/Certainty_Complete_Specification_001118_v1.0.pdf

But it doesn't contain the GPIO circuitry.

quote: Owen Morgan

I sent an email to doremi support (about something else), and was referred to the ticketing system... however, when creating an account for the doremi ticketing system, it was then immediately blocked

The ticket system is mandatory for the european support site, and it is not intended for end users, only integrators/techs. But you may try Doremis US support contacts. If you contact them with a UK email adress, they may hint you back to the european support site. You have to try different ways. Sometimes it worked for me, sometimes not.

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-18-2014 03:18 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMS1000 installation and user manual has an appendix with GPO and GPI and suggested external circuits on pages 211 and 212. I would assume the IMS 1000 RJ45 GPIO is compatible with the IMB electronics as well.

- Carsten

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2014 06:32 PM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

Thats the best thing I've seen allllll day! I completely think that the circuits will be the same in the IMB and IMS as it would save a lot of design time.

I understand the drive circuit enough to know that I was 100% on the right lines, just maybe some other factor was wrong.

Thanks once again!

Mind you, doremi not allowing the exhibitors to point out issues is a little stupid, as they are the ones using the software all the time, and are more likely to find the bugs!

Thanks,

Owen.

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2014 11:37 AM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow......

I've still got issues..... anyone know of any good (and painfully cheap) breakout boards?

Also, Having RUNG doremi europe technical support, they Really don't like it when their end users point out software bugs or elements that don't work as well as they could....... (the new segments are great, but the jump to segment macro only ever gets activated once, meaning indefinite loops are unobtainable. .. eg. Ive created an intermission CPL and I want it to loop indefinitely until I press a button causing a trigger to jump back to the 2nd half.......).

I was literally arguing with them about their 'protocol'...

Basically, if your an independent with no integrator service contract, you will get NO support about anything from doremi. I can understand with hardware issues needing an integrator to deal with Doremi, but software bugs, and rubbish manuals?? What can an integrator do about that? Contact doremi and say the exact same thing the exhibitor would say? Seems stupid to me.

Rant over!! Back to GPI...... anything cheap?

Owen.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-19-2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of breakout board do you mean?

- Carsten

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2014 01:48 PM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

What sort of automation boards do people use, and what is the cheapest one? One that mainly offers GPI as I already have GPO's successfully wired up.

Owen.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-19-2014 03:46 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about painfully cheap breakout boards. Odyssey makes one for Doremi servers but I don't know the cost.
The usual approace here is to use a Jnior or Ecna automation device which has inputs and outputs. They interface with the server through the network. I have seen basically no problems with the Jniors. We have not used projector GPIO because it's simple but inconvenient to share it with 3D units. We haven't used server GPIO because of some fear of frying the ins/outs, requiring a relay interface board to control pretty much anything, and the few ins/out available. Using the off-the-shelf Jnior simplifies installation.
I can imagine Doremi thinking eliminating infinite loops in a playlist would be desirable. The intermission function looks to want a fixed intermission length. Other then having the intermission playlist pause at its end, I don't see a way to have the intermission wait for a restart cue. I haven't done a lot of intermission setups though - only Indian movies have intermissions here and that's easy because they come as 2 cpls.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: