Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DOREMI NEW SOFTWARES

Author Topic: DOREMI NEW SOFTWARES
Mexec Cochin
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2014 03:04 AM      Profile for Mexec Cochin   Email Mexec Cochin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All

This is to inform you that we get New Big Doremi Software update . In which we can provide intermission in English Movie like Christie IMB

By Shibupaul

Mexec

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-14-2014 03:10 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Doremi really appreciates if you publish their software as a free-for-all download.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-14-2014 05:57 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Unless and until they adopt the Dolby policy, Doremi provides software updates without charge. So it is pretty much a "free-for-all download", the ftp credentials are hardly a secret.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-14-2014 10:28 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it's true that Doremi provides free software updates for their DCI products, it's still their software and I doubt they want everybody to share it via public file sharing sites. Besides that, you shouldn't download this kind of software from a random location, but only from the source itself, unless you do have a good reason not to do so or at least an MD5 hash to check against. Someone could have messed with it, without you knowing about it and it's not like this never happened before.

It remains to be seen how Doremi will integrate into Dolby. Unfortunately, this often ends rather badly for the products of the smaller player, in this case Doremi. It's not uncommon to loose amenities like free updates after a merger or acquisition...

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2014 12:47 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy he posted it. Every time we have upgraded, things have just gotten better with the server.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-14-2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the whole point of software updates. But why didn't you just download it from the Doremi FTP server?

PS: The download links are gone now, somebody or something removed them. I don't know if that happened because they messed up the layout or for other reasons yet untold.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-15-2014 05:25 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see any download links - I thought this was just an announcement that the new version is available.
I would recommend getting software only from the manufacturer. I doubt that independently mirrored copies of stuff meant for as small a field as this would be altered but it isn't worth the risk.
Or ... if Hollywood is right about movie piracy ... the global "Jolly Roger's Discount Movies" cabal could have put a few of its expert hackers to work and cracked the server software... Mexec must be offering us a bogus version that instantly forwards each movie played direct to their evil lair ... Mexec - if there IS a real Mexec - is obviously their stooge!
Battle stations! Man the guns! Prepare to repel boarders!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-15-2014 08:20 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are still here:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001818;p=2

I don't see it very critical, but I still think they should be removed. For software like this, only the official sources should be used.
Classic newbie behaviour. 'Hey, I am new here, and I have something important to share!'

- Carsten

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2014 09:35 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion it is best to download from the trusted source itself such as doremi techno or doremi ftp site.

At least we know it is from doremi itself and not an untrusted source.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2014 11:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I have yet to ever be charged for a Dolby update... Some times there are hints of "we should really be charging you but ok this time we'll do it" sorta thing. The only re-charge I've ever seen is for renewal of licenses to TMS and LMS systems...

Most of the D-Cinema manufacturers spend a lot of time, effort and money on firmware updates and they want their equipment to get them.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-15-2014 05:42 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would never update a server worth thousands with a file coming from anywhere but the manufacturer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: