Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Is it possible to use two NAS with the Solaria one + ?

Author Topic: Is it possible to use two NAS with the Solaria one + ?
Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2014 11:49 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a Qnap 4TB with our Solaria One. For this particular film festival, i need to ingest 21 DCP and we are running out of space and still have 6 more DCP to ingest.

Can i simply buy another Qnap and hook it up to the other Ethernet port ? I asked Christie's support today and they have no idea if it'S possible. Has anyone tried using two NAS with the Solaria ?? Thx

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-15-2014 04:43 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's strange that Christie can't tell you if it is possible or not. Although I've never configured it myself, it's a documented feature. The unit even has two dedicated Gigabit Ethernet ports for NAS connectivity, labeled NAS-1 and NAS-2, so you do not need a switch.

If you're using both ports, make sure you configure separate subnets on them, which are also NOT in use on your other network(s) or else you will run into connectivity issues.

Also make sure your chosen NAS is up to the task, many of those lower end NASes are just barely capable of coping with the required throughput.

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 06:00 AM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We only use Christie's approved RAID. I got a private email from Christie and they said ''in theory'' it should work….this most likely mean, ''we never test it'' so use at your own risk [Smile]
Without going into details, if you want 100% reliable playback, the contents have to reside on the primary raid so if one wants to use two raid, he has to manually make either on the primary on ingest and playback….kind of defeating the whole purpose of having two ethernet port!!!

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 07:49 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay stupid suggestion ... why not run both nas systems on the same IP config. When you need the DCP from nas 1 you hook on nas1 when needed from nas 2 ...

I would not test something like hooking both during a festival. But run the test afterwards. Many people here will like to know if it works.

Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2014 08:06 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You cannot have both NAS (hooked to both ethernet port on the Solaria) turned on at the same time with the same IP.
As a real band aid solution, one can ingest DCP on NAS1 til it's full, turn off everything, plug in NAS2, boot up and ingest more DCP on NA2

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: