Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » voltage reqd for christie cp-2000?

Author Topic: voltage reqd for christie cp-2000?
John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2014 11:09 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm helping install a used cp-2000, the drive in here has 120-240 delta 3phase service, not 208 wye 3 phase, Inside the base cabinet are several line-in scenerios, all say 200-235V and a separate 120 v 1 phase input. on the rear of the base/cabinet is a nameplate indicates line in as 200-235 volts 3phase, but on the upper projector the nameplate indicates 208 v 3Phase? Do I need a transformer to covert the delta feed to a wye feed? or will it be ok on the delta feed? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-14-2014 07:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

You didn't specify WHICH CP2000 you are working with. My information is from the CP2000-SB so your system MAY be different but pretty much, you can run with what you have:

180-235 VAC (N. AMERICA, JAPAN, MOST OF CENTRAL/SOUTH AMERICA, ETC.):

If 3-phase and single-phase feeds (6-wire):
•Make sure ground wire is connected directly to the frame ground stud on the pedestal floor. Attach no
other wires here.
•Connect L and N @ 200-230 VAC (single-phase)
•Connect 1, 2, and 3 @ 180-235 VAC (3-phase)

If 3-phase with neutral fed from 3-phase (5-wire):
•Make sure ground wire is connected directly to the frame ground stud on the pedestal floor. Attach no
other wires here.
•Connect 1, 2, 3, and N @ 180-235 VAC (3-phase)
•No L available. Connect jumper from 1 to L.

If 3-phase only (4-wire):
other wires here.
•Connect 1, 2, and 3 @ 180-235 VAC (3-phase)
•No L or N available, so the internal outlet will not be functional.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2014 08:21 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve! Since there is no actual installation manual, I would suppose the pedestal power supply will supply the projector with the appropriate voltages. The actual line voltage here is just under 235 volts so we will hook up in the four wire fashion.I can't imagine (even Christie) wouldn't have a universal line input voltage like the other makes! But you never know!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2014 05:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John...

The only issue you might encounter is with the really old CP-2000 Xenon supply. Those had triac's or SCR's in them, or something along that line (they are field replaceable). Those rectifiers are quite voltage sensitive to incoming spikes above 165 per leg. If you have one of the standard San Rex power supplies you should be ok. The early supplies were used in CP-2000's for just the first couple years. So if there is a date on the side that might be a clue.

Also, there is a LVPS internally in the projector for it's internal electronics. It would be extremely wise to install a UPS on the projector electronics and the server and support gear. A 1500 VA regenerative UPS is the best. Over voltage protection on the main panel is an absolute must and has already saved at least one Drive In's D-Cinema System I that installed.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-15-2014 05:52 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend a transformer to give you 120/208 wye 3-phase. The high leg 120/208/240 3-phase supply is not really compatible with the Christie.
Even with a transformer you should definitely use a UPS on the electronics: high-leg supply voltages tend to be unstable - even more unstable than a "normal" rural 120/240 single phase supply - the phase to phase load is not well balanced since all single phase 120V loads are on the phase split to ground. Like Mark says, expect trouble from an old rectifier if you have overvoltage. The Sanrex ones are less fussy.
Note that the big old CP-2000-S is pitiful at getting light out through the lens. With a 6.5kW lamp it's probably dimmer than a series 2 3kW projector. Depending on what you pay for power you might be better off getting a new projector and paying for it from your power bill savings.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2014 03:11 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all, it has the later power supply and is working well Pretty good light output too! It surprised me. Thanks for all the help!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: