Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Best/worst Atmos mixes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Best/worst Atmos mixes
Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2014 03:32 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Living in a country with no Atmos installations, I haven't experienced that many Atmos features with my own ears. I've heard some complaints, though, that a lot of them are actually quick-and-dirty remixes, based on the 7.1 mix with a few ceiling speaker effects thrown in... Would you agree or is that just FUD?

While we're there, let's list some of the best and worst Atmos mixes. Starting with the good ones, Brave and Gravity sounded pretty impressive to me. Care to share your opinions?

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-07-2014 04:15 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen all Atmos releases in Atmos, so I can only judge the movies I have seen so far. I did see some of the movies I've seen in Atmos twice, in different formats.

For me Gravity was absolutely the best Atmos mix until now, but the 7.1 mix was also great. The worst Atmos mix for me was Thor: The Dark World, but that did have a lame 7.1 mix too.

Also underwhelming was the Atmos mix of The Hobbit, especially for such a big release. And The Hunger Games: Catching Fire also didn't really impress me. Although there was one scene in the latest Hunger Games movie that really put Atmos to good use. That was when it went dark during the actual games.

Although generally a lame movie, 300: Rise of an Empire had a very powerful Atmos mix.

Most of the Atmos mixes I've heard were somewhere between good and OK, but few were really outstanding. In my opinion, Atmos is great, but not all movies equally benefit from it, so I sometimes skip Atmos in favor of a "traditional" experience. Thor 2 definitely sounded like a Monday morning 5.1 mix with some occasional "Atmos gimmicks" thrown in.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2014 08:42 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which Hobbit movie are you referring to?

I didn't get a chance to see Desolation of Smaug in Atmos, but I did for An Unexpected Journey, and I thought that sound mix was pretty good. Most especially, the Riddles in the Dark scene with Bilbo and Gollum, where you could hear Gollum moving around in the dark, which gave you a "you are there" type of experience.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2014 03:08 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll rank the films I have seen in Atmos from best-sounding to worst-sounding, just to give you an idea.

1. Gravity (mix grade A+)
2. Pacific Rim (mix grade A)
3. Noah (mix grade A-)
4. Oz the Great and Powerful (mix grade A-)
5. A Good Day to Die Hard (mix grade D)

So, for me, Atmos is mostly positive although there is one dud being the first Atmos film I saw in the infamous ETX screen in AMC Tyson's Corner 16. Since Pacific Rim, I have made the extra mileage to Regal Kingstowne Stadium 16 in Alexandria to see films that were only showing in D-IMAX at Tyson's. It also became my favorite Atmos venue.

Regal is opening up a 10-screener with RPX at the Dulles Town Center mall. DTC is only a hop, skip and a jump away from my current location and possibly by the time it opens we would've moved, but still in Northern Virginia. I mention this because I wish with all my heart that Dolby can install Atmos in DTC, removing the need for a half-hour or so drive.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2014 03:21 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brave was an Atmos movie? Would've loved to see that.

My favorite mixes were Gravity and Cap America: Winter Soldier

Hobbit 2 was decent, Spiderman 2 could've been better

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-07-2014 04:58 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
Which Hobbit movie are you referring to?
The Desolation of Smaug, I actually forgot the first one had Dolby Atmos too.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2014 05:23 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Captain America gets an A+

300: Rise of Empire gets a solid F.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-07-2014 06:08 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Lacheur
300: Rise of Empire gets a solid F.
Just out of curiosity, what was your problem with this mix?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2014 12:38 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayyy to much music coming from the Atmos and surrounds in general, takes you right out of it.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2014 02:18 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya Buck Brave was the first movie to come out in Atmos. I was at the Atmos grand opening at the AMC Barrywoods in KC the opening weekend for Brave. I really enjoyed the mix. Dolby reps were there too and came into the theater before the show and talked about Atmos a bit and what to expect and answered questions in the lobby afterwards. They also handed out posters and had questionaires on how you liked the Atmos experience.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-08-2014 04:08 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Lacheur
Wayyy to much music coming from the Atmos and surrounds in general, takes you right out of it.
It's a matter of taste, but I actually liked the fact that they didn't ignore the surrounds for their musical score. It's not like music is something that occurs naturally anyway [Wink] . So, for me, music doesn't need to be limited to front left and front right.

What took me right out of it was the movie itself.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2014 02:01 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jarod, that's awesome! That would've been really cool.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-12-2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gravity was absolutely the best by a wide margin. A very dynamic mix, which ranged from in your face loud to whisper quiet. By far the best use of the pan through surround array. At one point while Clooney is in orbit, he circles the whole auditorium, touching every surround speaker.

Other stand out Atmos mixes are Brave, Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and Live Free or Die Hard.

The most underwhelming was Oz The Great and Powerful which did not sound any different than a normal 7.1 mix.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars had a great Atmos mix. I remember seeing it opening day here May 25 1977, in 70mm too. I remember it very well. I couldn't believe they had Atmos for this one, but it's true. I was there.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-17-2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erthquake's Atmos mix was so intense, it shook down masonry work off the ceiling!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: