Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Looking for good technician in Mexico. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Looking for good technician in Mexico.
Carlos Villalpando
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2014 10:40 PM      Profile for Carlos Villalpando   Email Carlos Villalpando   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys!

I just got hired as Projection & Sound Supervisor in a local Cinépolis complex (the biggest cinema chain here).
It's a 12plex, and many houses are not properly EQ'd and one of it has serious sound problems.

So, do any of you know of a good tech in West or Southwest Mexico who can leave our theatre looking and sounding great? I don't know specifics yet (I start working in a month from now) but I do know we have some good equipment here, it's just the last guy on the job didn't make a good work maintaining it.

I'm really interested in our theatre having excellent picture and sound, so any advice on operating the booth also will be truly appreciated! It's my first job and I'd like to make it right.

Also, I'd like to know the budget range we'll need.

Thanks in advice! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2014 10:57 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carlos, I thought Cinepolis used a lot of their own people, I know some of them and they are very good, but there are some good independent technicians in Mexico as well...a company called ECASA and also another guy, Fulgencio Leon

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-04-2014 01:37 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fulgencio(sp) is very good but he was with said circuit before departing so there was maybe some issue there.

Carlos Villalpando
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2014 05:01 PM      Profile for Carlos Villalpando   Email Carlos Villalpando   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Sam and Mike!

Mike: Do you know some names of good techs working for Cinepolis? 'cause the guys who EQ'd a near complex which just opened left it sounding dull and it sounds like a lot of the film's music is lost (I have made the comparison, watching the same movie at both plexes).

Also, do any of you know how can I contact Fulgencio? I can't find any info of him on the internet.

Thanks!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 06:01 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I have.

fleon@3deon.com.mx

Carlos Villalpando
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2014 05:49 PM      Profile for Carlos Villalpando   Email Carlos Villalpando   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

Miguel Cruz
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2014 02:33 AM      Profile for Miguel Cruz   Email Miguel Cruz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carlos, if you need a technician in Mex for digital cinema and audio equipment you can contact me macruzsalinas@icloud.com

Regards

Carlos Villalpando
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2014 12:34 PM      Profile for Carlos Villalpando   Email Carlos Villalpando   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again.

Our district manager, upon multiple requests, finally sent us the tech assigned to our region: Francisco Xavier Gutierrez Morales, to do the job.

Regarding sound, it definitely improved. Sound is a lot more dynamic now, and sounds much better in general.
However, it still sounds kinda dead (as if the soundmix lacks life) and music keeps sounding muffled and definitely not as rich as I've heard another Cinepolis' theatres sound. On the other hand, bass is amazing. You can literally feel it in your stomach on big, action sequences.

I'm starting to think it's just the best one can make the new Klipsch speakers sound. It's my understanding, however, that Cinepolis has been using Klipsch speakers for quite a lot now, but somehow they can't get my theater sound good, while others do.

It's worth noting the complex I'm comparing my theatre with opened in 2006 (that's the only Cinepolis plex in the city, besides the one I'm at), so, unless Klipsch made major changes to their speakers' manufacturing after 2006, I don't know what's making my theatre sound like that.

About the tech I mentioned above: has anyone seen his work? Is he good?

Miguel: Thanks a lot! I'll talk to my manager and will certainly contact you if the techs at the chain can't get it right.

Thanks a lot for your help.

As a side note: I think all of you would be very happy in México, since here, every Cinépolis theatre in the country, EVERY SINGLE ONE, is equipped with movable masking, and the company has no plans on changing that. [beer]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-29-2014 02:41 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carlos Villalpando
About the tech I mentioned above: has anyone seen his work? Is he good?

You expect someone here to comment on this tech in a public forum that he might read? I do not know him but would not comment either way even if I did.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-29-2014 03:24 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding sound, it definitely improved. Sound is a lot more dynamic now, and sounds much better in general.
However, it still sounds kinda dead (as if the soundmix lacks life) and music keeps sounding muffled and definitely not as rich as I've heard another Cinepolis' theatres sound. On the other hand, bass is amazing. You can literally feel it in your stomach on big, action sequences.

I'm starting to think it's just the best one can make the new Klipsch speakers sound. It's my understanding, however, that Cinepolis has been using Klipsch speakers for quite a lot now, but somehow they can't get my theater sound good, while others do.

Loudspeakers are only one factor in how movies will sound in a given space.

It's impossible to diagnose a situation without knowing about the system components, the full signal flow, and the acoustic properties of the space.

Additionally, there may be equipment defects that have yet to be discovered. For example, your Klipsch loudspeakers may sound different from those at the other site(s) because you may have blown HF drivers. Then again, your speakers may be fine, and there may be some other technical issue that is limiting their performance.

It's worth noting the complex I'm comparing my theatre with opened in 2006 (that's the only Cinepolis plex in the city, besides the one I'm at), so, unless Klipsch made major changes to their speakers' manufacturing after 2006, I don't know what's making my theatre sound like that.

When was YOUR location built? The architectural designs may have evolved over time. I worked for a chain in The Bahamas and the auditorium spec's got a little better each time they built a new plex.

Something else to consider: Is the application of the technology correct and consistent? Does the same tech setup all of the theaters? Does the tech have a certain procedure that he follows to (more or less) ensure consistency across locations? Or is s/he reinventing the wheel each time out? If there are multiple techs, is there a standard procedure they're all supposed to follow? A standard set of test gear? Test material? Is there a standard, specific result they are supposed to achieve?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-29-2014 04:34 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From this thread it seems that the engineer arrived at your cinema after or on the 5th (you posted a message in the afternoon then and you did not mention you had already found someone) and at midday on the 7th you claimed that the sound had been looked into.

12 auditoriums, less than 2 days?

No proper job can be done in such a short time by anybody, regardless of their skills. It sounds like an auto-EQ or a 'here is your Dolby curve, now let me move my single microphone to the next room and do the same', which is what most people do.
It may be better than nothing but since sound does not go off over time, I believe in investing a little time ONCE and enjoy the amazing time for the years to come.

Carlos Villalpando
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2014 08:13 PM      Profile for Carlos Villalpando   Email Carlos Villalpando   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
When was YOUR location built? The architectural designs may have evolved over time.
Actually, that's the interesting part. My theatre is relatively new, it opened late November 2013, and has sounded this way since day one. So, I don't think it's blown drivers.

quote: Marco Giustini
From this thread it seems that the engineer arrived at your cinema after or on the 5th (you posted a message in the afternoon then and you did not mention you had already found someone) and at midday on the 7th you claimed that the sound had been looked into.

12 auditoriums, less than 2 days?

Actually, the "05" and "07" on the dates indicate month, not day. [Wink]
The big time lap is due to our district manager not sending us a tech after we requested it multiple times.

But, actually, the guy DID do the job in less than 2 days, it was my day off, and on the next day he was gone. I would have definitely loved to be there at the time he was doing the work, to check everything, but we just didn't know when he was coming, or even that he was going to come.

Apparently (as the manager told me) he just came in, said "I'm the technician...", did his thing and just leave. Which also makes me think he did it BETWEEN SHOWS, for no shows were cancelled that day.

I can't honestly blame the manager for not checking on him to do things right, he just doesn't know any better about technical stuff. (I'm not saying that's a good attribute for a manager, though).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-30-2014 04:12 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, the "05" and "07" on the dates indicate month, not day. [Wink]
Do'h! [Roll Eyes]
Sorry, it works the other way round up here!

Anyway... between shows? LOL! You're lucky the sound has improved. I reckon he just placed the microphone, pressed the "auto-EQ" button and walked away.
What sound processors do you have?

A properly designed sound system seldom breaks down and if you do an good EQ, it will last forever. Periodic checks are good, but I don't believe in 'periodic EQ's", particularly when the original EQ took a while to tweak the sound for the best result: you are likely to get a worse outcome.

Anyway, that's how it works most of the time. If the company is happy with that approach and they are not allocating more than 20 minutes for each auditorium, that is the best you can have.

From my perspective tuning a sound system I have never seen before (either brand new or tuned by someone else) takes several hours, particularly if it's bi/tri/quad-amped.

You can do it in half a hour, but you will get a random result. It may be quite good or it may be quite poor. Just setting up a multiplexer will take some time. Clearly, taping a microphone to a broom stick is quicker! [Smile]

Carlos Villalpando
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2014 08:36 PM      Profile for Carlos Villalpando   Email Carlos Villalpando   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do'h! [Roll Eyes]
Sorry, it works the other way round up here!

It does here too. I guess I got accustomed to read it both ways. [Razz]

quote: Marco Giustini
Anyway, that's how it works most of the time. If the company is happy with that approach and they are not allocating more than 20 minutes for each auditorium, that is the best you can have.
I don't know for sure if the company actually wants it done this way, because I've heard other locations sound really great. I don't know why the tech chose to act this way. Maybe he saw no one was supervising, took advantage of it and did it the quick way.

quote: Manny Knowles
Is the application of the technology correct and consistent? Does the same tech setup all of the theaters? Does the tech have a certain procedure that he follows to (more or less) ensure consistency across locations? Or is s/he reinventing the wheel each time out?
I have no knowledge of his procedures whatsoever.

As for consistency, I've visited a 21 plex in Guadalajara city a couple of times, (which is also part of our region) and sound was pretty much the same.

I suppose there isn't just one tech servicing our district, and that's the reason for some venues sounding really good and others sounding just "meh".

- What do you guys think it's best for us to do? Should we request for a different technician to come? Or ask for the same guy to return and do things right?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-01-2014 04:25 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would gather more information to isolate the issue. Is the sound not sound good with intermission music, Blu Rays; anything other than DCPs.

It could be something is miswired in some way, speakers, crossovers, etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: