Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DOLBY SERVER = QUESTIONS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: DOLBY SERVER = QUESTIONS
Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2014 06:39 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have 2 bad "Seagate" brand drives on my DSS100. Rebulding isn't working. CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. I must replace both DRIVES with exact same size 500Gb unit. But I can mix different drive manufactors.

Could I replace all 4 drives at the same time and increase each size to 1 TrB each?

Do I need software to format all 4 drives?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2014 07:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You can throw any 500GB drives in there and let it rebuild. If you want more storage, you could replace them all with larger drives, but be forewarned you will need to run a "clean install" disc to reinstall the operating system.

If you are running 4.4 or less the max is 2TB drives.
If you are running 4.5 or greater the max is 4TB drives.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-29-2014 05:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, have you tried 4TB drive in a DSS100???? There are a percentage of DSS100s that can't even handle the 1TB drive...depends on the hardware inside.

Odds are, if you have two bad drives on that DSS100, you are at the clean install stage anyway. I would pull the logs and look at the SMART data to see which drives have issues. If you have one with errors that is preventing the rebuild...you can TRY to change just that one first to see if you can rebuild.

If you are doing an install, I'd get four 1TB drives (avoid Seagate is my opinion, I prefer the Hitachi and/or Western Digital). Dolby has an approved list.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-29-2014 11:20 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Brad comment was about DSS200/220 since 4.4 cannot be installed on DSS100.

That being said: 4TB? The biggest drive on the qualified disk list is 2TB, are officially 4TB supposed to work with a DSS200/220? That would be a nice upgrade.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2014 11:30 AM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I do a "clean install" myself or is it time for a service call? Considering the price of a 1TB drive and benefits therein - I think I'd buy 4 new larger drives.

Thanks all for advice

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2014 12:40 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did this on a DSS200. If you're registered with Dolby they will send you an install file to burn to CD. Slow but it works. You will lose all content.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-29-2014 01:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DSS100 will work with Dolby software up to 4.7.2.1 (and there is a rumored "Last" software (again) that will be available for the DSS100/DSP100 though it should be in the 4.7.x variety. My guess is that they found something they needed to correct. 4.4.x was an awkward time when they were separating the DSS100 as the DSS200 was achieving DCI compliance. With 4.7.1, the DSS100/DSP100 achieves DCI compliance.

Since the question specifically states that they are working with a DSS100...hence my question of Brad's response.

I'm more surprised he didn't jump on the "teaser title."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2014 01:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had zero issues upgrading DSS-100's to 1 TB drives and several of the one's I've done are very very old. One was serial number 34! I do always use Hitachi drives though...

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-29-2014 01:19 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not rumored, it's on the notification email: before the end of May, since June 1st is the end of support for DSS100.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2014 02:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to find a DSS100 that wouldn't take drives larger than 500GB. I'm sure Steve has found some, but so far I haven't.

Regardless the comment was moreso based on software limitations, not hardware limitations. With v4.5 the firmware for the hardware raid controller card was updated and it will now see 4TB drives. Yes I have done this, and yes it works just fine. I don't think Dolby has officially endorsed specific 4TB drives yet, but if you have the need for a larger raid size and are willing to "take the risk", go for it.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-29-2014 05:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco...to be clear...any software (or hardware) not physically out...is nothing more than a rumor...even from within the company and even if on official document. If it was ready for release, it would be already...if it isn't they are working on it and there may be additional delays that could cause a missed "desired" ship date.

As for the DSS100 running larger than 500GB...I haven't found any that wouldn't take them either. That said, people I trust at Dolby have claimed that there are some that will not so I have to take them at their word on that. What incentive would there be to lie?

We only have one DSS100 that is still on 500GB drives.

Brad, are you saying you've run 4TB drives in a DSS100?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2014 05:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No, just a 200 in a special scenario.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-30-2014 02:19 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan:
I don't think there IS DCI compliant software for the -100 servers but if there is... beware: I don't think the #1 projector is compatible with DCI software (it has an old TI interface card) and you would need a new "gore board" to play from a DCI compliant server. If you do install DCI software you are stuck, it can not be reverted to a previous version.
I don't recall what interface card the drive-in projector has, DCI compliant or not. I think that's where you want to use the 100? Or is it a spare?

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-30-2014 03:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Dolby 4.7.1.10 and 4.7.2.1 are both DCI compliant to the DSS100/DSP100. Unlike the DSS200, I'm pretty sure it is reversable.

Note, at this time, the DCI software is not enforcing the Gore Board thing (security enclosure armed). It knows if it is or not but I have systems running DCI software that are connected to non-DCI Series 1 projectors and everything works fine so long as projector will operate with Cinelink II TLS encryption.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave... dolby dss100 dsp100 (2 screen - 2 systems) this is all for the drive-in with Barco 1500. I'll email you my repair list but I'm waiting the arrival of my BARCO SPECIAL EVENTS LENS before setting a date.

Still 35mm for May & June on release starting 2 May

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: