Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Playback Buffer Underrun Error (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Playback Buffer Underrun Error
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-21-2014 06:22 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie Solaria One.

Anyone run across this before? About the last 8 mins of the show last night the lamp started flashing on and off (like a bad rectifier diode in 35mm). Fortunately, the end credits are 7mins so didn't have to lose the show.

Shut everything down and it started fine this morning. We've updated the software, and run the film again without problem. Any idea what caused it and how to prevent it in the future?

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-21-2014 06:38 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This "Playback Buffer Underrun Error" you mention in the topic, that's the error you got?

You're sure your lamp was actually flickering off and on? Or was it just the screen going black?

A Buffer Underrun Error sounds like a problem with your storage not capable of providing sufficient throughput for sustained playback. That could explain the screen going dark, because the IMB went out of data to play.

Did you check your logs for any problem with your storage or maybe your NAS/storage server? Maybe you just encountered a disk failure during playback. In some cases, a faulty disk can temporarily hurt the performance of a RAID array, sometimes even beyond acceptable performance levels. Once the disk has been ejected, performance usually returns to acceptable levels.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2014 06:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is anything to do to prevent it. The fix is to reboot the NAS.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-21-2014 07:49 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was the error message.

I suspect it was just going projecting black, but didn't have the time to troubleshoot.
Have heard back from Christie and they say it is a known problem that the software update should resolve. We'll see.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-21-2014 09:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it was just projecting black. There would be no reason for the computer to shut off the actual xenon. When you run out of buffer there's nothing to show onscreen, hence the black. Your buffer of video data has emptied and the drive has to work hard to catch up.

All this talk off buffer underruns sure takes me back to the early 1990's when that was actually a thing you had to worry about when burning CDs.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-21-2014 10:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, "buffer underrun." I knew I'd heard that term before but couldn't quite place it until seeing Joe's post.

Sheeze what are these projectors running on, old 80386 processors?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-21-2014 10:54 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I am sure that the software upgrade will cure the problem, it probably would not be a bad idea to check your hard drive array for bad sectors and other problems to be sure that it is running the way it should.

An ounce of prevention...

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2014 11:05 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Anyone run across this before
Is your system using the Lenovo/Iomega E=MC NAS drives?

Several months ago, one Solaria 1 system that used that type of drive at one
of the theaters I take care of started getting occasional buffer/underrun
error messages before the NAS finially died, and had to be replaced.

It was still under warranty, so it didn't cost anything to swap out the
equipment, but they did loose day-&-a-half worth of shows.

In addition to the 'buffer underrun' message the staff also noticed that
the picture occasionally froze or jumped for a second or so. They described
it as much like the same effect you'd see when watching a 'bad' dvd disk.

Don't know if you've got the same problem potentially brewing, so you
might want to keep an eye on it!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-22-2014 09:06 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using the Netgear ReadyNAS 2100.
Will do a sector check.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-22-2014 04:20 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Big chance it wasn't the IMB after all. Sure, it could be some bug that's now fixed in the latest update, but it could also be a problem with the storage machine.

In an IMB setting, the storage is usually externally connected via e.g. Ethernet. The Solaria One allows you to use third party NAS hard/software via NFS to store your content. While this might sound like a very lucrative solution, the sustained transfer rates needed for flawless DCP playback might not always be totally trivial for lower end hardware. Many consumer NAS devices for example, will not perform well in a disk failure scenario and there might be other non-trivial compatibility issues that can cause troubles. If you use other devices, like switches, in between, those might also cause trouble and if you share your NAS with other clients/users, those clients might inadvertently cause traffic spikes that create problems for sustained playback.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-22-2014 04:48 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming the ReadyNAS is a qualified NAS for Christie. I would definitely check it, with whatever tool Netgear is providing you.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-14-2019 08:32 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1940 days since the last post.

Robert Jordan
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2019 08:32 PM      Profile for Robert Jordan   Email Robert Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Playback buffer underrun error hit us about once a month since February. Thought it was failing drives, so we loaded our Netgear ReadyNAS 2100 with four WD Red 4TB drives. Problem persisted. We finally got our IMB software updated from 1.6 to 1.8.6 and have had no problems since. Shame on us for not getting software updates, but more interesting to others might be that the WD Red 4TB drives are working fine with Netgear ReadyNAS 2100.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2019 07:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Nope, a much newer processor called the Intel Atom which is the modern day equivelent of the 80386 . [Eek!]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-15-2019 07:41 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in my home "legacy" ReadyNAS I have 6TB disks - Netgear stopped investing time on those units but there is no reason for a larger disk not to work as the working protocols are the same and the OS is really not limited to a specific size.

I am puzzled on why you should get buffer underrun errors out of the blue to be honest.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: