Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Booth internet access? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Booth internet access?
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some services, like Theater Key Retrieval rely on equipment within the booth making outgoing TCP (or HTTP) connections to servers on the Internet. What percentage of auditoriums are configured to allow equipment on the auditorium network to access the outside world (again, typically an outgoing HTTP request)?

THANKS!

Harold

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-21-2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same percentage that can reach an NTP server! [Smile]

I'd say 90% - in a way or another. As you noticed, most services today are relying on the Internet for content/key/advert transfer. The server may not be configured to access the network directly - which is wrong, their clock will drift and some manufacturers will ask money to re-sync it if the drift is too severe - but the internet would just be minutes away.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-21-2014 04:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
The server may not be configured to access the network directly - which is wrong, their clock will drift
I don't understand why, in this age where we can manufacture stuff down to tolerances in the microns, we can't build a computer clock that is accurate.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-21-2014 05:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike....

Those clocks exist but they are expensive. Locking to NTP protocol via the internet is almost as accurate as having a real atomic clock. The idea being that all devices in a complex containing clocks lock to one accurate source and all stay synchronized...

Mark

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2014 07:01 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses! So, it looks like auditoriums generally have outgoing internet access, right?

It IS difficult to build an oscillator that is stable over temperature. Getting much better than 5ppm over temperature gets expensive. 5ppm is about 13 seconds a month.

One thing I do with NTP is adjust my clock speed in the correct direction each time I need to make a correction. So, over time, the error gets smaller and smaller.

Also, I'm generally setting the default NTP server in the sutff I'm working on to pool.ntp.org and using 8.8.8.8 for DNS.

Harold

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-21-2014 07:14 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre has Internet service, but it's not connected to the projector/server setup. That's on its own independent network and not connected to anything other than itself.

On my own computers I generally point ntp at time.windows.com; I figure Microsoft can afford the traffic, and I enjoy the irony of using a ms service to keep the time on Linux machines.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-21-2014 07:27 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also use a local server as your NTP server. Many decent routers can even take the role as the local NTP server. Let this server sync with an NTP pool and connect all your equipment to this server. That's actually what the designers of NTP had in their minds anyway.

And although I do get the convenience of your booth having Internet access, there isn't really a reason why it actually should have it. Even it you rely on something making a TCP connection to somewhere else, that should be an exceptional case, not the standard.

You know all those security leaks you hear about in the news all day long? Well, that kind of shit starts right where everything needs to be hooked up directly to the Internet, even the stuff that doesn't belong there.

Why should your projector, server or even TMS be capable of making a call to a random location on the Internet?

Stuff like "Theater Key Retrieval", which looks very "drafty" right now, should keep this in mind. The idea of automated key delivery is great, but it should NOT require every playback server or IMB being hooked up directly to the Internet. If that's the case, the design is awkwardly wrong and just blatantly ignores all the crap that's been going around on the Internet the last few years.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-22-2014 06:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we have internet access to all of our booths...what is allowed to have internet access is almost nothing...there is typically a device that has the ability to get the time and all of the devices in the booth get their time from that device. The other reason is for remote support.

There is zero reason for every device in the booth for having internet access. It is a potential breach of security and a waste of bandwidth.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your digital projection booth is a V.P.F. site, it is most likely accessible from the outside world through the Internet. However, while your N.O.C. can get in, as an operator - it is not a good idea to let your equipment "out". The only case would be for N.T.P. server access. Other than that, you are opening your equipment up for various issues. Especially if your Library Media Server is running a Microsoft based operating system.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-23-2014 03:37 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A NOC or any external service party should access their customer networks using something like a VPN. At the very least there should be some access lists in place that only allow traffic from certain approved ranges.

Essential components in your projection chain are running on "industry standard" operating systems like some flavor of Linux and sometimes even Windows and they're no less susceptible to exploits being used by viruses, Trojans, etc. Since most vendors do not have their focus on maximizing security and you shouldn't have your focus on applying every possible patch at every possible time, it's essential to keep this stuff isolated from the plain Internet as much as possible. The same is true for other systems, like POS terminals and associated servers.

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2014 05:28 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I wonder why those harsh restrictions, isn't the NTP protocol something you can control with certain ports?
Isn't the DCI standard going too far in some points of view or are there some ways to avoid the DCI standard and that way still make all servers vulnerable and in a way decieve the DCI standard?
I wonder why the DCI is a "holy grail"...

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-29-2014 05:30 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm frankly a bit surprised that NTP is allowed. I'm not a NTP expert but wouldn't it be possible to set up a "fake" NTP server to gradually shift the time on a server and/or projector? Which then creates it a security hole in the key system.

I must be missing something.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2014 06:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you could control the UTC refrence up or down it theoretically might. It should follow what the the master clock is doing which may be the internet, a GPS locked NTP server or some goofy clock you devise that you can speed up or slow down... You still have to convert what ever clock to issue NTP protocol.

Mark

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2014 07:42 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the clock within the media block can only be moved something like 6 minutes a year, and that is enforced within the media block. That, I believe, only deals with licenses and keys. Youcan start a show anywhere within the authorized window, so the servrr can use ntp to independently keep its clock accurate for show scheduling.

While my question originally mentioned TKR, our lss-100 can use http or https post to post logs to a server for analysis. This can be a server on an internal network or on the Internet, as desired by the installer. Some sample reports are here. .

Harold

Kevin Tan
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2014 11:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Tan   Email Kevin Tan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Harold,

I checked with the page, it is pretty cool feature~

Kevin

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: