Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How to fix low contrast/milky blacks on HDMI input (christie series 2)?

Author Topic: How to fix low contrast/milky blacks on HDMI input (christie series 2)?
Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2014 01:43 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I've noticed that all my sources on the HDMI (well, HDMI over DVI) inputs has really poor contrast and elevated black levels compared to DCP material. This is even the case when playing stuff like ad content from a USB stick on my blu-ray player vs. the same ad converted to DCP.

Any settings I can change to improve this?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-13-2014 02:13 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie/DVI defaults to 'extended range' (0-255), while most HDMI sources default to standard range, 16-235.
To be picky, 'extended' or 'standard' is referenced to HDMI, because for DVI aka computer signaling, 0-255 should be considered 'normal range'.

Check the setup menu of your BluRay Player for adjustment options.

You can also set it in the Christie channel setup. Best is probably to have one DVI set to 0-255 and the other to 16-235. Typical choices are 0-255 4:4:4 RGB for DVI/RGB sources ('computers') and 16-235/YCbCr 4:2:2 for HDMI consumer entertainment devices.

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/hdmi-black-levels-xvycc-rgb

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-13-2014 02:49 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten

I have asked the question before, I believe someone said it could be done but never said how.
Are you sure that YCbCr implies "video" levels?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-13-2014 03:14 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only say 'usually'. RGB defaults to 4:4:4 RGB 0-255 and YCbCr to 4:2:2 16-235

I have seen separate extended/normal range and RGB/YCbCr settings on some few devices. Though I am guilty of not investigating into it further ;-)

I understand that for practical reasons, BluRay player manufacturers need to find simple options to connect a player to 'proper' HDMI sinks like TVs, but also HDCP enabled DVI inputs on computer monitors. To simplify this, YCbCr should default to 16-235 and RGB to 0-255. At least that's what I found out when I tried various computer monitors on BluRay players.

- Carsten

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2014 07:52 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured it was along those lines. Thanks, I'll try once our last shows end.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2014 09:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, there is no option besides RGB on the DVI inputs.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-14-2014 07:44 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right for series I and series II 'native' DVI inputs (means: no IMB/IMS).

In this case, you either need to find a proper RGB-full setting on the player, or use a scaler with that functionality.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-14-2014 03:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a go, thanks. I believe you can still select the proper colour space by using the TI software.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-14-2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. Regarding 16-235 I have no idea how they deal with it and wether TI DC software supports that mode.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-15-2014 03:45 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't, but you should still be able to select YCbCr on a Barco - even though I'm not sure about it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: