Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » White screen after first trailer

Author Topic: White screen after first trailer
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 10:11 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is unusual. I started my movie as usual, and the first trailer ("Turn off your cell phone") played as usual. Then the second trailer (Muppets) and the screen was white. No picture, just bright white light. Sound played fine.

I paused the playback and zipped the little slider thing up to the start of the next trailer, un-paused it and still had the white screen.

I then hit STOP on the server control screen, then PLAY again to start over from the beginning.

And everything worked perfectly.

I have a GDC server and a Christie CP2210 projector.

What just happened and is there anything that I should be doing or checking to make sure it doesn't happen again? I lost the picture exactly between one trailer and the next.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 10:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you leave your server running all the time or do you shut down nightly? If you leave it running, I would definitely do a reboot.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-04-2014 10:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a really rare glitch, but part of DCI security. The server didn't get it's handshake and at the start of the next clip, even though it was unencrypted, it killed the image. I've seen it happen on all brands of servers, but again it's really rare.

Rebooting won't matter, but it never hurts. Just jumping back to the start of that clip is all it takes to reset it, but stopping works too.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 10:53 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first got my digital setup I used to shut the whole thing down every night but after I got my UPS's I decided to start leaving the projector and server running all the time. I shut everything down and do a cold reboot of everything every Thursday night after the show is over.

I actually watched this movie by myself late last night after doing my weekly reboot and everything worked fine then.

It's working fine right now, too, with about a half-hour left to go in tonight's show. The stop and play again that I did at the beginning of this show appears to have solved the problem.

Perhaps this issue is "just one of those things" and it won't happen again.

Brad: Thanks ever so much for the info. I feel much better knowing what happened.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2014 12:42 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad could cure cancer if he tried hard enough I bet. He knows all.

Funny I went to see Divergent with the wife the other night and almost the exact same thing happened during the feature about 10 mins into it. Dude next to us immediatly ran out to tell the manager. I seen him sprint to the booth and did the pause start thing like Brad said and the rest went smooth.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-18-2014 08:04 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Its a really rare glitch, but part of DCI security.
DCI priorities:

Security = 1st and TOP priority
Presentation = 2nd...maybe 3rd or 4th
Hell, can't risk anyone stealing an effin trailer.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-18-2014 10:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank I think you still misunderstand.

Security = 1st and TOP priority
Security = also 2nd priority
Security = 3rd priority
Keeping manufacturers in business with replacement parts as all of the unnecessary security parts fail = 4th priority
Presentation = 5th priority

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-19-2014 07:22 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: