Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Interfacing lighting with digital cinema solution

Author Topic: Interfacing lighting with digital cinema solution
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2014 10:49 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I'm going to miss about making the switch is the loss of the DTS timecode. This was great for doing programmed lighting during certain parts of the presentation. One place I used it was to kick off a lighting sequence during the "Sonic Landscape" tag.

Is there some way this could be accomplished with a DCP setup? Even a programmable low-voltage trigger that's externally exposed (serial, etc) would work, as I use a Mac-based lighting package that operates via MIDI and DMX. I can make a "translator" that would turn this pulse into the correct MIDI command to kick off the DMX commands.

If it makes a difference, we're probably going with a Solaria setup.

-David

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-03-2014 02:17 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every server has free assignable GPIO signals, + some have serial and Ethernet with assignable raw commands. No big deal. I know cinemas operating an RS232->DMX bridge from a Doremi server.

If 'Solaria' means 'Solaria One', you will need a JNIOR interface, as the Solaria One IMS has no discrete GPIOs. The JNIOR is an Ethernet<->GPIO/Serial bridge unit widely used in cinemas for all sorts of automation.

Setting up a playlist for a presentation, you can place these trigger signals or serial/ethernet commands where you like.

- Carsten

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2014 01:48 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply. The JNIOR looks like exactly what I'll need.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: