Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC DCC communication issue (resolved)

Author Topic: NEC DCC communication issue (resolved)
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-28-2014 11:41 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our other location they've started having a problem with DCC communications errors. They are using 5.0.5.0.

When they go to connect, it just times out without connecting. They are able to connect via the web interface (go to the projector's address in a browser), and they can connect to all the GDC servers (via VNC). This issue seems to happen between DCC and all 7 of their projectors. Other computers within the theatre are able to log into the projectors with the same version of DCC.

Is there some kind of network protocol which might cause DCC communication to not work, but still allow VNC and web based communication?

For what it's worth, the computer in question is running Windows XP, where all other computers using DCC are on Windows 7. And yes, I know Microsoft will stop supporting XP in the very near future.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-29-2014 02:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have neither experienced nor heard of this issue. Make sure that the port number is correct on the DCC...it is easy to accidentally have this mis-set or erased. It should be 43728 for series 2 projectors.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-29-2014 10:15 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying that just one computer is not connecting?
Did you disable the Firewall?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2014 11:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also make sure the "I.P. Address" box is checked and not the "Host Name" box.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-29-2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure no firewall is running. I have had lots of connection issues with Windows when one of the available firewalls - the Windows firewall or an antivirus one - is on. Some things work, some don't. You might talk to a server but not a CP750 for example.
Assuming this PC used to communicate through DCCS OK with the NECs, something has obviously changed. Do you do MS updates on it?
You could remove DCCS and reinstall it, that might help if you don't see any other problems. DCCS works fine on XP for me.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-29-2014 12:27 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm being told is they were using the DCC from the downstairs computer to switch off several projectors following the last show of the night. It worked for one projector, then stopped working when they went to do the next projector. Now they can't connect to any of the projectors. But it seems like DCC is the only thing having issues connecting with our DCinema network.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sure drop your firewall and try it. If that fixes it then you need to poke a hole through it for DCC. If you upgraded to a new version in the last few days perhaps it has something to do with that. I have never had any issues with DCC connecting with Windows 7 on well over 200 TMS and booth computers. And if you look at the typical W7 install there is nothing set in the firewall for DCC.

Try rebooting that computer forst if they have not done so already... If thats a no go then you could also delete the current DCC and try reloading it. It could have become corrupted.

Mark

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-29-2014 09:11 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got this resolved. Turns out the person who was using it had changed the IP address from the projector IP (.195) to the GDC address (.115). This was so basic that it didn't catch my attention.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-30-2014 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using a local computer downstairs to turn the projectors and such on and off I would suggest using the web servers in the equipment that does offer them. Just save these under favorites on your web browser. Then no changes need be made to IP addresses. Just call them Projector 1 and Automation 1 and so on down the line under "My Favorites".

For GDC or Dolbly you'll have to stick with VNC to do the job, but at least all they'd have to do there is change the last digit of the last octet to get to the right auditorium's server.

Mark

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2014 10:39 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use TightVNC for my GDC's and Datasat AP20's.
(I assume it's not a feature unique to TightVNC), but I save a shortcut to each server and processor on the desktop (including the password) so the staff just have to go to desktop and double click which ever server etc they want; no IP address changes required at all for VNC this way.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: