Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Off aspect ratio DCPs

Author Topic: Off aspect ratio DCPs
Eugene Lehnert
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2014 09:21 AM      Profile for Eugene Lehnert   Author's Homepage   Email Eugene Lehnert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you prefer a DCP with an aspect ratio of 1.33, 1.66 or 1.78? Is it best to put an aspect ratio other than a 1.85 or 2.39 into a 2048x1080 DCP?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-27-2014 09:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Narrower aspect ratios are pillarboxed within a flat 1998x1080 DCP.

Pixel dimensions should be as follows:

1.33 - 1440x1080
1.37 - 1480x1080
1.66 - 1792x1080
1.70 - 1920x1080

I have never seen a scope DCP that was narrower than 858x2048 (2.39), but I suppose that a 2.35 or 2.21 image would be pillarboxed within a scope DCP.

There is an optional entry in the DCP naming convention for narrower aspect ratios: a flat "F" DCP would be "F-133" or "F-166" (etc.) for nonstandard flat formats. This seems like a useful attribute and probably one to include in the DCP name.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-27-2014 01:34 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten a few features and trailers that were 2.39 inside 16x9.

As for 70mm titles, I wish they would make them so that they used the full width of the container, instead of pillarboxing them in 2.39, or letterboxing them inside 1.85.

I don't like referring to 1.33, 1.37, etc as "non-standard" -- they may be uncommon (for some of you) but they do indeed adhere to a standard.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2014 08:19 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Escape From Planet Earth was 2.39 inside of 16x9 to allow for certain effects to fly out into the letterbox bars.

Manny Knowles

- posted 03-28-2014 02:45 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there's actual picture content in the black bars, I'd be inclined to regard that as 16x9.

BTW does anyone else hate it when subtitles are in the black bars?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-01-2014 06:29 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
I don't like referring to 1.33, 1.37, etc as "non-standard" -- they may be uncommon (for some of you) but they do indeed adhere to a standard.

Agreed. I was thinking of those formats in the context of the DCI standard, which only specifies 1.85 and 2.39. But, yes, they are standard, of course.

Has anyone seen full-container DCPs used for anything other than test material?

Manny Knowles

- posted 04-02-2014 11:09 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't swear to this, but I think CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS used the full container -- but that wasn't the intended aspect ratio for presentation. (IIRC it was 2.39).

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-11-2014 06:45 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had an Aussie movie that was full container...'The Goddess'. It was meant for 2.39 also.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: