Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Black MOS content NEC NC900C GDC IMB

Author Topic: Black MOS content NEC NC900C GDC IMB
Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 10:16 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone recognize this. It's just 5 and 10 second clips of black screen. We use it to program time consuming automation functions like turning on the lamp or dropping the house lights totally just before the feature file. I had to create a new raid array on one of our storage devices and it erased this content. Anyone know where I can get copies of it or how to get them on the storage device?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-26-2014 10:26 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are (or used to be) on the Technicolor Trail Mix drive.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2014 04:42 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mentioned ONE of your storage devices... If you have more than one server you should be able to transfer content between the two if they are networked together.
If they are not currently networked, is it a terribly long distance? You could get a long Cat6 patch cable and run it temporarily between the servers to move the Black Mos (and any other default) content.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-27-2014 08:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
contact gdc tech support and get access to their ftp server that is available there

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-27-2014 11:30 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can use DCP-O-Matic to create black MOS clips of whatever length you want. Just create an image file of a plain black frame, and then use DCP-o-matic to make a "film" of that frame in the lengths you desire.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-27-2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked last night and Black Mos 5 sec and Black Mos 10 sec are on this weeks Trail Mix drive.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-27-2014 06:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything catered for here:

http://www.freedcp.net/?page_id=5

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2014 01:04 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're at it, can someone tell me what MOS stands for? I've been wondering that for years.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-28-2014 01:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mit Out Sound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_%28filmmaking%29

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-28-2014 01:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia says it's filmmaker jargon, but since we're not using film I say it stands for "Moment Of Silence" in the digital world. [Big Grin]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-28-2014 01:58 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add to the discussion, I have found at times that having a long black segment is helpful, but the longest provided by the system is 10 seconds.

If you create 2048 x 1080 black jpg, you can used one of the DCP makers to create your one. Just tell it to show the image for X seconds. When I've done this, I also created an MP3 of silence to add so there is an audio file.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-28-2014 03:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, and you can also name them whatever you want which is nice. I made two one-minute MOS clips called "Roxy Show Open" and "Roxy Show End" and added them to my template playlists, with all the appropriate cues. That way it's easy to tell if they've been moved accidentally, and with the templates it's not necessary to put in new cues every time -- just the lights-on cue at the start of the credits.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: