Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco "Alchemy" integrated ICP & server

Author Topic: Barco "Alchemy" integrated ICP & server
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-24-2014 02:58 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco's website has changed rather dramatically. All cinema projectors are now called "Alchemy" projectors, and feature the "Barco Alchemy integrated ICP and cinema server"... although you can get them with a normal ICP for an IMB or other IMS, or even presumably with the Enigma input board.
Also the Communicator touchpanel now comes with a second program that looks to be for Alchemy server configuration.
Data is a bit sparse though, no product documentation or software I can find.
This website update looks to be coincidental with CinemaCon so I assume there was a big announcement and demo there... does anyone that attended have any more information?

|  IP: Logged

Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2014 04:11 PM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested to know as well. I noticed that on their page. I didn't make it to CinemaCon this year, so maybe someone can fill us in?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-24-2014 06:32 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quoted the press release here:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t001434.html

Basically, it is Barcos first own IMS, and it's the first implementation of 4k/3D and 4k/60fps in a series II DLP. The projector base is still the same, Barcos new electronics implements an IMS + a beefed up ICP in one module, supporting frame rates that were not possible previously in 4k.

The same IMS is also available for 2k machines, in that case offering a greater variety of modernized IO, like USB 3.0, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc.

They also offer a web based configuration utility, as is already available in the DP2K-10Sx and 8Sx.

Existing Barco series II machines can be upgraded with the new electronics. Previous configurations with HD-SDI/Enigma, Doremi IMB or IMS are still available.

This technology will also be part of Barcos IMAX laser projectors.

- Carsten

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2014 04:48 AM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have now installed one of these (one more later today). Seems to be running quite well.

One thing came as a bit of a surprise though. If you install the ICMP module in a B- or C- series projector, there is currently no way to use the DVI inputs on the Cinema controller board.

Also, as of now you have to use a currently unreleased Barco software version (v.1.12.157) otherwise the projector won't recognise the Alchemy module.

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2015 07:06 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have the DVI input thing been resolved in newer updates?

Edgar Prass
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2015 07:28 AM      Profile for Edgar Prass   Email Edgar Prass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On our Alchemy DVI inputs work and according to latest ICMP software version 1.1.5.13 release notes HDMI should work as well.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2015 12:13 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edgar Prass
On our Alchemy DVI inputs work and according to latest ICMP software version 1.1.5.13 release notes HDMI should work as well.
Edgar did your projector come stock with the Alchemy board.
In my case it was added to a DP4K 23B. The HDMI inputs "were" working but the latest update disabled the HDMI ports I had revert back to the previous version.
DVI inputs remain not working. There are scaling issues and color space issues as well. On the upside updates are posted at least once or twice a month.
Here is a video about the board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qbvGBqNkfA#t=15

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2015 04:43 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about transfer speeds via network (FTP)? The module i'm currently testing seems to be quiet slow (14-15 MB/s), are anyone else having this issue?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 04:51 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's a known issue, documented on the release notes. you should be able to improve it by enabling jumbo frames, if your network supports them.

Edgar Prass
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2015 06:05 AM      Profile for Edgar Prass   Email Edgar Prass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alan Gouger
Edgar did your projector come stock with the Alchemy board.
Yes, it did.

And transfer speeds over FTP are slow indeed. Haven't tried enabling jumbo frames yet.

EDIT: Just enabled Jumbo frames (MTU 9000) on our Synology server. Switch also supports jumbo frames. So with next ingest I will give it a try.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 07:08 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to set the MTU to 9000 on the alchemy as well if not mistaken.
Please note I don't know the alchemy at all, just stumbled in the release notes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: