Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Requesting Server Certificates

Author Topic: Requesting Server Certificates
Eugene Lehnert
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Eugene Lehnert   Author's Homepage   Email Eugene Lehnert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I start making DCPs how do I go about getting the server certificates for the Keys? Is there a database to download or do I need to contact the theater to get it?

Thanks,

Eugene

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-24-2014 02:21 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it can be extracted from a server in a usable form; someone else here may know that.
When a digital projection system system is installed, the movie distributors get the server model and serial number - each has a form to be completed by the cinema operator and faxed or emailed back. All the server manufacturers have ftp sites with the certificates required for KDM generation. The distributors just download the required certificates.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-24-2014 06:47 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some servers have GUI functions to download the certificate from the machine itself.

All manufacturers maintain a more or less public database, referenced by serial number, etc.

Doremi has an ftp site, also a web based certificate lookup service::

http://support.doremitechno.org/index.php/downloads/certificates

Some cinemas have stored their certificate and are able to forward it, some only have their devices serial number available.

- Carsten

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2014 10:36 PM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to get this done, is ask the cinemas that are going to play content provide the E-S/N "server media block serial" brand and model and contact the manufacturers for the certificates.

As far i know Doremi and Christie we can extract the certificate files. Not sure about the rest.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2014 11:53 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you REALLY need to encrypt your content?

You might find that getting certificate info from some locations is more trouble
than it's worth. Remember that most theaters these days are staffed by
people who can barely spell their own names. Asking for something like
a server certificate might be more than they can deal with. Or you might have
to wait several days until the one guy on the staff who has the ability to
comprehend & comply your request comes in to work and does it for you.

I've run into this problem more than once.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-26-2014 03:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We pull them all the time for clients on our NOC. They just say what location and screen they are renting an auditorium out for a special show that will be encrypted and we email them (or the DCP creators) the proper certificate for that auditorium. It saves everyone a big headache and is no problem at all to provide.

Eugene Lehnert
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 05:44 PM      Profile for Eugene Lehnert   Author's Homepage   Email Eugene Lehnert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great. Thanks for the input everyone.

Vegard Olsen
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2014 03:34 AM      Profile for Vegard Olsen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Sony and Christie you can extract the cert. On Sony I usually use the SMS Controller to download the cert directly to my computer, but you might be able to extract it to a USB using the control panel locally.

On Doremi you can extract the cert from the detailed report as per this guide, from Doremis public FTP or directly from this page on Doremis portal.

I believe Dolby also have a public FTP with certs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: