Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Subtitle Question

Author Topic: Subtitle Question
John Rizzo
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2014 01:21 PM      Profile for John Rizzo   Email John Rizzo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys

I asked this question before but can't find the original thread so I will ask again.

If a DCP has a separate subtitle track can they be turned on or off by a setting in the server. From what I recall last time I asked this was that on a Sony Server it is not possible.How about on a Dolby,DoReiMei, Chrite etc is it possible?

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2014 01:31 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my Doremi/Christie 2220 combination. It's possible to allow the Christie projector to extract the subs or the Doremi to extract them.I believe the answer is yes for Doremi.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-20-2014 05:08 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a Doremi you can choose the Doremi subtitle engine and the projector will receive subs already burned into the picture. Otherwise the projector will overlay the subs.
I do not think you can turn it off, unless you play with the subtitle section of the TI board. But I am not aware of an easy way of doing it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-20-2014 06:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dioremi has it in device config. You can disable subtitles in the projector device configuration. Then if you do not activate the Doremi subtitle generator, I assume the feature will play without subtitles. Haven't tried it yet. May be that the Doremi recognizes this condition and will not play a subtitled feature.

Anyway, it is not a task for the everyday operator, you need special privileges to do it. And you shouldn't forget to reenable subtitling afterwards.

You should really resort to making a separate DCP without subtitles as a general rule.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-21-2014 04:07 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Carsten, D-Cinema was designed to work with two separate CPLs, one with and one without subtitles.
A new CPL with no subs could be emailed.

That being said I heard the plan now is to have the subs managed by the server, so a single CPL with multiple subtitles could be sent - and I guess then a choice could be made on the server.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2014 02:35 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the original thread.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-02-2014 10:33 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't we get all that now?

Most every drive I receive has multiple versions... one each for every sound format known to mankind, and versions for every light level available on 3D. Oh... then the one I use.

Then you double that, because all of those versions have open and closed caption files.

I'm getting 54 weekly keys for Peabody.

Can't wait to see if we get triple or quadruple versions when HFR becomes commonplace.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: