Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Qube RAID: software/hardware?

Author Topic: Qube RAID: software/hardware?
Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2014 07:36 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about the RAID implementations of the various Qube servers. I'm particularly interested to know whether they're all using software RAID or is there a hardware solution available.

The product page for XP-D mentions a "Qube SRD-51 Advanced RAID Controller (option)". Does that mean that the XP-D comes with a software RAID solution, with an optional hardware RAID add-on?

And what about the Qube XP-I - software RAID only?

It was mentioned on this forum in 2012 that Dolby DSS200 is the only server with hardware RAID. Just checking if that is still the case.

|  IP: Logged

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2014 09:45 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I was just told by a reseller that the XP-D indeed has an optional hardware RAID controller, while the XP-I has it built in.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GDC SX-3000 uses the PDP-3000P hard drive and it too is hardware raid. The hardware raid talks to the system in the SX-3000. However the drives are not unit specific and you can power down any pair of units and swap the PDP-3000P drives around and re-boot. It is very easy to move content around this way in complex's that don't use a TMS. The OS drive is part of the IMB.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-12-2014 02:44 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drives can be swapped on a Doremi as well but I would not see it as a TMS replacement. I would do it only on an emergency.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2014 05:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is true of both GDC and Doremi full size servers however the SX-3000 uses a new hardware raid device called the PDP-3000P. It is very tiny and uses (3 or 4) laptop hard drives. The box which weighs only about 1 pound was designed to be easy to move around and hence it is not really very risky in doing so. The system and associated mounts are designed for ease of movement. Whereas with the full size servers or Doremi IMS you have to move individual hard drives and that presents much more risk of dropping an individual drive... And with the SX-3000 even if you do drop the drive package and kill it you can also live play off the CRU.

PDP-3000P mounted to an NC-2000
 -

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-12-2014 05:05 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. That makes more sense, thanks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: