Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Need for Speed formatting issues

Author Topic: Need for Speed formatting issues
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-11-2014 07:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have noticed that Need for Speed must have some sort of formatting issue (more than one location so it isn't just a bad drive). While a server (e.g. Dolby) can ingest locally without issue and a TMS (e.g. Cinedigm) can ingest without issue...it will NOT transfer from the TMS to the individual server.

I'm checking our other sites to see if it is just Cinedigm/Dolby as to the conflict on this one title. Normally, this has something to do with how the title was formatted/created and the Dolby server wanting something that isn't in package so it rejects it. However, when the SMS server has the whole CRU...it can pick the pieces it needs.

This has affected both 2D and 3D titles

|  IP: Logged

John Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2014 04:40 PM      Profile for John Thomas   Email John Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know.

We had a promo of the 2D a couple weeks back with no issue, Sony projector and Sony TMS. I realize this is not hugely relevant as it was a different drive image than the domestic release.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2014 09:40 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same problem Cinedigm TCC to Dolby Server. No hard drive it was a satellite download, I'm FTP'ing strait from the satellite cache server now we will see if it works.

It worked fine at another location with satellite, Cinedigm, to a Doremi.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2014 08:06 AM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using an FTP connection from the satellite cache server to the Dolby Server worked and the content plays fine.

I wonder what TCC is doing to make it fail?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-14-2014 09:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem actually started in how Deluxe encoded the DCP...which the TCC didn't strictly enforce protocol...so when it comes time to transfer to the SMS servers...Dolby will ask for all of the particulars...which are not there from the TCC ingest. Now if loaded locally or if all of the files are there...the SMS server can pick from the drive what it needs to complete the CPL. Dolby is rigid about having everything properly formatted/encoded so anything up-stream (the TMS) has to be equally strict or bits and pieces will be missing. Historically, it has been fonts that have been the problem...where fonts were not included in all versions.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2014 12:49 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. This is not the first time I've had problems transferring from TCC to a Dolby.

John Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2014 04:11 AM      Profile for John Thomas   Email John Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Domestic drive works on our Sony servers and Sony TMS.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: