Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Why did I receive two sets of KDMs? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why did I receive two sets of KDMs?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2014 12:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we're playing Mr. Peabody this weekend. On Tuesday I got 18 KDMs....(we've been down that stupid road before). Anyway I narrowed it down to the 2 we need, ingested them last night and this morning I got ANOTHER set of 18 KDMs.

WTF? Why do they do this? It's not the first time it's happened and I can't see any problems with the original ones.

|  IP: Logged

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2014 02:32 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks to be everything from Fox that got sent again, not just Peabody. I see new Son of God keys in my email as well. This seems to happen a lot with a handful of Deluxe-distributed studios, but I don't know why. I occasionally see it with Technicolor too though. Very strange. Doesn't it cost a semi-significant chunk of change to generate and distribute keys?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-06-2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a second set for Peabody as well, but not Son of God. I wonder if Deluxe received too many phone calls from theatres saying they didn't receive the keys, so they just retransmitted to everyone.

On the flip side, I nearly missed the keys for 300 since they sent all 6 versions in one email with a single zip file.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2014 02:59 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Son of God keys I received are for the Spanish version, and they're only good for one week at a time. I guess the more accurate claim would be that any Fox key generated for a run beginning on Friday was sent out again today.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2014 03:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
I nearly missed the keys for 300 since they sent all 6 versions in one email with a single zip file
That's happpened here too. I sure wish they would pick one system and stick to it. Of course then a lot of "help line" people might lose their jobs, so....

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2014 03:12 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be the phase of the moon or something. [Confused]

I got 4 identical sets of keys on 2 different days for my press
screenings of "Jorodowski's Dune" and "Grand Budapest Hotel"
this week.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2014 06:32 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I just got keys that had attached files I was urged to rename from .zzz to .zip and then un zip them before ingestion?
Why? [Mad]

I have 500 other things to do!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2014 07:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another half-baked "security measure" maybe?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-06-2014 08:49 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the webmail services (gmail?) don't allow .zip file attachments as a half-baked measure to avoid passing along Microsoft Windows viruses.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2014 09:12 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Frank,that makes sense.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2014 10:07 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the same set of duplicate keys for Mr. Peabody & Sherman. When in doubt, just download your keys from foxkeys.com. The paperwork enclosed with the drives includes the username and password to access your keys.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my wife saw my cell phone explode with Peabody and Son of God e-mail alerts. I got to explain to her the ridiculous "key for every possible variant" approach.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2014 08:30 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're going to send out all the keys anyway, why bother with a jillion different keys? Why not just have one key that unlocks every version?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-10-2014 08:46 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's not possible with a single KDM. One KDM file per CPL.

- Carsten

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2014 11:37 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, a KDM unlocks a specific file to a specific projector, so the name of the file needs to include info like whether or not the file is in 2D or 3D, in 5.1 or 7.1 or 11.1 or 8,589,934,592.1 and such. If that information was missing from the title of the movie an otherwise "less aware" "projectionist-type" "person" would likely program the wrong file to the wrong projector.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: