Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Laser-powered Dolby 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Laser-powered Dolby 3D
Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2014 02:32 PM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Just a few days after some discussion here, here's Christie's press release. Should be no problem reaching 14 fL in 3D with this one.

quote:
Christie to Demo Breakthrough 3D Cinema Technology for Premium Cinema Experiences with Latest “6-Primary” 4K Laser Projector
Fiber-coupled, 6-primary projection system architecture ideally suited for immersive 3D experiences including Dolby 3D

Christie® today announced upcoming demonstrations of the world’s most advanced laser projection architecture and Dolby® 3D, to be held in the Christie Innovation Theaters throughout CinemaCon 2014 (Caesars Palace, March 24-27) and the National Association of Broadcasters NAB Show® (Las Vegas Convention Center, April 5-10).

Christie DLP Cinema® laser projectors using 6-Primary (6P) color laser modules, earmarked for mass production in early 2015, will show how 3D light levels, image uniformity, viewing comfort, and a sense of immersion can be vastly improved, especially when combined with advanced separation technology like Dolby 3D, versus conventional 3D systems found in cinemas around the world today.

“Recent declines in domestic 3D movie attendance are a sign that the novelty is wearing off, with audiences less willing to pay a premium for what is all too often a mediocre experience. The lackluster quality of this experience results from a number of technical limitations with current 3D system architectures, the most serious one being restricted light levels that amount to only 10-30 percent of those levels achieved for 2D presentations,” said Don Shaw, senior director, Product Management, Christie Entertainment Solutions. “Simply put, the movies are too dark, leaving audiences struggling to discern critical details that make up the image in front of them.”

“Christie’s latest laser projection technology, using 6 specific primary colors rather than filtered or polarized broad-spectrum white light, brings dramatically improved 3D efficiency to projection systems, regardless of the size of screen in premium movie theaters,” added Shaw. “We believe that this is the future of 3D cinema projection, that it is right around the corner, and that it will be a key element in boosting 3D box office revenues around the world. Our CinemaCon and NAB Show demonstrations will be the first 6P laser events available to the broad cinema community, from filmmakers to exhibitors, and reaffirms Christie’s 80-year commitment to cinema innovation, rather than ‘moving beyond digital cinema’ as some other industry players have promised.”

At least twice as efficient as today’s best 3D systems, Christie’s 6P laser projectors generate a proprietary mix of photoptically-optimized light wavelengths for each eye directly from the source, in effect eliminating the need for a highly inefficient stage of filtering or polarizing the light as it leaves the projector. The Christie demos will use Dolby® 3D glasses specifically engineered to exactly match the 6 primary laser light wavelengths to yield nearly 90 percent light efficiency.

“Their color separation based technique for 3D is well regarded as the gold standard among industry professionals, especially for its true color reproduction, compatibility with low-gain white screens, and superior crosstalk performance – only now it can be part of a system that is tremendously more light efficient,” said Shaw.

“Dolby 3D’s advanced color separation technology is ideally suited for next generation laser projectors,” said Doug Darrow, Senior Vice President, Cinema, Dolby Laboratories. “With extremely high light efficiency, nearly no crosstalk and crisp images with vibrant colors, we believe Dolby 3D combined with laser projection produces the best possible 3D viewing experience for audiences.”

“Having had the opportunity to witness an early 6P laser demo at Christie’s worldwide center for engineering, research and development in Canada, I can confidently state that this is an exciting and important innovation in 3D cinema,“ said Matt Cowan, Co-founder & Senior Technical Advisor at Entertainment Technology Consultants. “I look forward to further refinement of this technology and upcoming installation in premiere theaters around the world.”

Consistent with efforts so far in developing 3-Primary (3P) laser projectors, which Christie sees filling important needs in several, non-cinema industries, Christie laser projectors will provide industry-leading brightness (up to 72,000 Lumens per projector head), wider color gamut capabilities, higher contrast, and dramatically reduced maintenance requirements, resulting in a better experience for all applications. As part of its largest research and development program ever, Christie will continue to develop superior 6P and 3P laser projection solutions for all of its global customers.

Specific to the development of cinema laser projectors, Christie leads the industry in this area, having announced last year that it would supply and install the world’s first commercial laser projection solution for the Seattle Cinerama Theatre, and that it was the first to receive a US FDA approval of variance allowing the sale and installation of laser projectors in movie theaters and other high performance projection venues.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-03-2014 02:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like pretty good news to me, particularly with the projector system offering 4K resolution 3D.

Of course, there is still the matter of making Hollywood produce some movies in 4K 3D rather than the usual HDTV resolution stuff.

Obvious question: how big a screen can this projection system illuminate properly? If it can throw a 4K 3D image on a 80 foot wide screen and deliver satisfactory light levels then it could be a real game changer.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 07:55 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now Barco is also on the 6P laserpowered Dolby 3D bandwagon, first installations already within the next months. As it seems, Barcos new 4k LIP Technology will not be an initial IMAX exclusive deal.

60.000 Lumens from a single machine with little to no light loss for Dolby 3D. That's a game changer.

http://www.barco.com/de/News/Post/2014/3/24/Proud-to-present-our-4K-laser-illuminated-projector-at-CinemaCon

---
'Proud to present our 4K laser-illuminated projector at CinemaCon

We are very proud to introduce our first commercially available 6P laser-illuminated projector at CinemaCon 2014. This laser projector is not only the most compact 60,000-lumen projector available, it is also the first DCI-compliant laser projector that is capable of showing 4K content at 60 fps and 3D movies in full 4K resolution. We will be installing our first 4K commercial laser projectors in the US and China during Q2 and throughout the rest of the world in Q4 2014.

The most compact 60,000-lumen projector
“We were the first to demo a high-brightness laser projector in January 2011 and again at the Moody Gardens Digital Cinema Symposium in January 2012. Since then, we have been pushing the envelope to perfect our laser projection technology and build a fully integrated solution,” comments Todd Hoddick, VP Digital Cinema at Barco. “As image quality remains a key differentiator for the cinema experience, this is at the top of our priority list when developing new technologies. Our laser projector is the most compact 60,000-lumen projector on the market and will set a new standard for image quality in the cinema industry.”

Dolby® 3D and Barco Laser3D
The Barco laser projection demo at CinemaCon will showcase a giant leap forward for cinema, captivating audiences with unparalleled image quality. “Delivering an outstanding 14 fL brightness level in 3D, nearly no crosstalk, exceptional image quality and color performance, we believe laser projectors – paired with the Dolby 3D color separation system - will wow audiences with a 3D experience like they’ve never seen before,” commented Doug Darrow, Senior Vice President, Cinema, Dolby Laboratories. “The combination of the Dolby 3D color separation technology and custom-designed Dolby 3D glasses matches the six primary laser light wavelengths of the Barco Laser3D system to enable a truly immersive viewing experience.”

10 things you'll love about Barco's laser-illuminated projector

A new image standard
By showing stunningly bright and uniform images in crisp detail – and with exceptionally rich colors and eye-popping contrast – the Barco laser projector boosts image quality, radically improving the 3D experience to make it truly astonishing.
Forget speckle
Barco’s proprietary technology minimizes image speckle – so, crisp images are guaranteed at all times, even on silver screens!
No vibrating screens required
Yes, that’s right! Thanks to our unique de-speckling technology, no extra investments in screen-vibrating systems are required to get the image right.
Razor-sharp 4K content at 60 fps
The Barco laser projector is the world’s first laser projector capable of showing 4K content at 60 fps and 3D movies in 4K at these brightness levels.
Fully integrated
Designed from the ground up, the Barco laser projector features a fully integrated system architecture with unified laser light sources that are housed within the projector.
Bringing 2D light levels to 3D
With a spectacular light output of up to 60,000 lumens, the Barco laser projector enables images to be shown just the way they were pictured by the moviemaker, for truly satisfactory 3D screenings.
Premium 3D experience with Barco Laser3D
Thanks to its integrated color 3D system, with 6-Primary (6P) color laser modules, the Barco Laser3D system maximizes 3D efficiency from a single projector, delivering constant and uniform images in excellent contrast, without lamp flicker.
Low Total Cost of Ownership
Thanks to the projector’s superior level of optical efficiency, Barco has been able to drive brightness and light levels up, while driving the total cost of ownership down. With solid-state laser technology, you no longer need to replace lamps, and they will no longer explode.
30 years of 3D expertise
With over 30 years of expertise in 3D, Barco knows how to entice moviegoers into the cinema for dazzling 3D adventures they will love to live again.
From the digital cinema pioneer and innovator
Guinness World Record holder for the brightest digital cinema projector, and market share leader in digital cinema projection, Barco has been breaking ground in the cinema industry for many years with numerous industry firsts.
See it to believe it at CinemaCon
To explore all the ways Barco is elevating the magic of the cinema experience, visit the Barco booth (#2313A) at the CinemaCon trade show in Caesars Palace Las Vegas. As part of the CinemaBarco experience, Barco will be demonstrating its laser-illuminated projector showing 4K content at 60 fps and 3D content at 48 fps during multiple sessions from Tuesday 25 March through Thursday 27 March at the Cinemark Century 16 South Point and XD theater in Las Vegas.'
---

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 01:31 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused.

I understand why a Laser system would be perfect for Dolby 3D, but "little to no loss" in 3D?

The moment you are splitting the light between two eyes, you are reducing the light down to 50%. The 6 lasers can be used all together - I guess - for 2D and 3(L) + 3(R) for 3D.
Then you have the glasses to take into account. What am I missing here?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 01:40 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no lossy color wheel, just two different sets of RGB light going directly into the rod.

On the playback side, the glasses are different and have less loss as well. That's all I know for now.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2014 02:32 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many DLP chips are they using?

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-04-2014 03:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge, just the three (and I see where you are going with this). Note, the loss is not zero nor even zero per eye in any event but one can definitely get a pretty bright picture on a large screen with it.

Note, Christie used two projectors (three primaries in each). Clearly that will double one's light as compared to a single projector.

However, this does mean that Dolby zooms from being the least efficient (8-10% at best on a single projector) to just under 50%...which puts them at the brightest of the 3Ds. Also, no silver screen so they are going to be brighter in ALL parts of the screen as compared to the polarized solutions.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 04:24 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"just under 50%" makes more sense. "little to no loss" was a little confusing!

That would be great. Also considering that Dolby is one of the best systems, with great separation and does not require dreadful silver screens.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a 14fL 3D picture on a big white screen.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-04-2014 04:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 50% efficiency level will help but a lot. Bot the problem of the glasses still remains. The glasses is everyone's biggest single complaint about Dolby 3-D. Even more so than the sometimes low brightness level it runs at. Both custom and disposable glasses are going to be a must if this new version is to succeed at all. I actually know of quite a few Dolby systems that have been pulled out of some very busy locations just because of the problem of having to get glasses back, broken glasses and trying to keep enough sterilized glasses available from show to show. Disposable is going to be the key to it's success.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 05:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Laser or no laser, if they would come out with disposable glasses for the current system I would be a buyer. Quite frankly I'm amazed they haven't done it yet.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2014 06:36 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting! If they're using 3 DLP chips, then it seems like they must be hitting each one with two different wavelengths sequentially. I'm not familiar enough with lasers, but can you turn them on and off that fast (I guess it'd be 24Hz with a 50% duty cycle). If they did 6 DLP chips, they could get double the brightness since both eyes' images would be present simultaneously. But, it'd cost more...

So... what wavelengths are being used? How is speckle being avoided?

And, on cheap glasses, I think it's just really hard to make the lenses for this. I think they're a couple of complementary optical comb filters (perhaps through a grating or something to cause cancellations at various wavelengths). The left eye gets a series of peaks and nulls. The right eye has peaks where the left eye nulls are. With broad spectrum light, all the peaks are hit. I'm guessing that with laser, they're just hitting one of the peaks in red, another in green, and another in blue.

Harold

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 06:45 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quantity of 3d glasses a cinema disposes every day is ridiculous. I appreciate the extra hassle of the reusable ones, but we live on a planet and we don't have a spare one AFAIK.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2014 07:17 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We send our disposables back. I don't know what they do with them specifically, but it's marketed as recycling so........

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 07:31 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess (based on absolutely no actual knowledge) is that they reuse the frames and replace the lenses. I base this guess on the fact that the frames are reasonably well-made but the lenses are very flimsy; by replacing the lenses they wouldn't have to worry about scratches and whatnot.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-04-2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the company involved. Some inspect, clean and repackage, some simply do material recycling.

Disposable glasses for Dolby 3D are out of the question, they are simply to expensive, even the latest foil type.

Some cinemas do well with reusables, some indeed give up Dolby and switch to disposables. Why it works in some places and not in others, I have no real idea.
At least with a standard RealD contract, you will usually pay the equivalent of a couple of reusable glasses for each showing in royalties to RealD.

Hard to believe any cinema would actually lose e.g. half a dozend reusables during every showing.

Of course, that doesn't apply to outright buy systems with disposable glasses.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: