Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Start CPL at specific position?

Author Topic: Start CPL at specific position?
James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2014 08:05 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday at our theater we received a CPL that had embedded trailers at the start. The trailers are for content that we will not be showing at the theater and thus we want to skip them.

Is there anyway to configure a show playlist (SPL) to 'seek' into a CPL to a specific start point rather than start at the beginning? This seems like a very basic feature but I haven't been able to find a way to do it yet. We have a Doremi 2K4. Maybe I am missing something very obvious.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-25-2014 08:22 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so. I DO think the only option is to 'preplay' these trailers silently, pause, and then start the real show. This can be automated, but needs the trailer's playing time as a buffer for preparation of the show.

Full manual control through the transport page is another option.

The next Doremi software release 2.6.x has a new intermission function with an 'exit from intermission' feature that, with some weird abuse, could be used to accomplish a 'goto' feature. Namely, by defining the main feature as an intermission CPL/SPL, and then being able to jump to a specific timecode to 'end' the intermission, thus skipping part of a CPL.

http://support.doremitechno.org/images/Portal/Cinema_Players/DCP2000-DCP2K4/Intermission/Intermission_Fea ture_Configuration_003696_v1_1.pdf

I guess in general, studios and manufacturers do not want a universal 'GOTO' function on servers. They do not want servers/operators to be able to skip content at will.

Best is to kick the distributors ass as a thank you for these embedded trailers...

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-25-2014 08:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about placing the douser-open and sound cues at the beginning of the actual movie, rather than the trailers? This would make it hard to play other content ahead of the trailers though.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-25-2014 10:16 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the content? Please identify the movie or file name.

James Skinner
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2014 09:57 PM      Profile for James Skinner   Email James Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
What is the content? Please identify the movie or file name.
It Turandot by the The Royal Opera.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-27-2014 01:23 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-playing, or simply skipping ahead to the point you want to play is pretty much the only way to do it.

Unfortunately, it means you can't add any trailers for stuff you ARE booked to run.

In this case, with it being opera, that may not be a big deal. But I've gotten some independent features with bars and tone and/or an annoying amount of black leader at the head and tail. I hate when they do that.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2014 09:26 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the DCP Encrypted?

If not, I would probably make myself a new DCP leaving off the unwanted material, be it tone/bars or hard-locked trailers.

Granted, not everyone has the ability to do that, (and nor should they need to, really the content suppliers should do a better job), but at the end of the day, if it makes my life easier and enables me to put on the level of presentation I want (i.e. no uncomfortably long pauses while seeking to various time-code point), then it is a path I would consider taking...

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-03-2014 03:08 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Ian. I'm totally in favor of good showmanship (and making my life easier). [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: