Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS200 Serial Automation - Cues not updating (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dolby DSS200 Serial Automation - Cues not updating
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-22-2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just added some new cues -- they're not showing up in the build environment.

Also modified some existing ones -- changes not showing up in the build environment. Old names are still there, and I've also confirmed that the DSS200 is still transmitting the old serial strings.

In other words, the changes did not take effect in the build environment, even though they appear edited in the serial automation setup area.

Rebooting the DSS does not resolve this issue.

Also tried exporting/importing the serial cues. Does not help.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2014 06:20 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using another server in TMS mode, or a DSL100?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-22-2014 06:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What version of Dolby software are you running?

When you export the cues...did you look in the file? If so, how many cues are in that file? Even if you delete them in the GUI, they don't leave the server. There is an arbitrary 50-cue limit before system 4.4.2 or maybe 4.5...I forget when the change was made to get rid of the silly limit.

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-22-2014 09:29 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, just the DSS200.

Steve, interesting. I'm running version 4.3.5 (13).

Just saved the cues and will import to Excel at home.

Please stand by.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-22-2014 09:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had issues with the 100's not exporting and importing the serial cues and often after updates they are gone and had to be manually reentered even though they are still listed there

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-22-2014 10:41 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I looked at the exported cues.

The file reflects the latest list of cues -- as entered -- plus a few old ones that I thought I had "deleted." There are a total of 67 records.

To clarify -- the cues in the file are NOT the cues in the build environment, which still has all the old cues, unchanged.

...now, back to the file:

Most cues are assigned a simple 5-digit number, but a few have a much longer "urn:uuid..." instead.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-23-2014 04:43 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the way the cues are identified was changed at some point, but I would think that 4.3.5-13 was still using the non-UUID method.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-23-2014 07:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

I would get away from 4.3.5.13 ASAP. Of that generation, 4.3.5.9 was much more stable.

However, I do suggest moving to 4.7.1.10 at this time. 4.7.x addresses many issues and doesn't seem to add any. You'll find your cue limit issue gone, if you have an NTP source for your server, you'll find that the clock stays in sync much better, subtitle handling will be much improved, frame rates have increased (the number of ones recognized), DCI compliant...etc.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-23-2014 07:54 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only downside on a cat 862 is that 4.7.x (actually 4.4 onwards) will be much slower in selecting content than 4.3.x
You may want to warn the customer before updating.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-23-2014 09:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is only slower because of the DCI compliance thing. It has to check each clip so the time it takes is proportional to the number of clips in the show. Heck GDC never used to check before their version 8.

Personally, I'd like an "anticipation" time such that the show starts the check prior to the posted time so that when the time comes everything is on time. (e.g. lets say it takes about a second a clip to check and you have 15 clips...if the show is 7:00, then the DSS200 should start at 6:59:45 to allow for the checks...but alas it does not). However, with System 4.5 onwards, one can set shows down to the minute instead of 5 minutes (use Ctrl-click).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2014 11:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dinosaur lives on....

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-23-2014 12:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I did not mean to say that Dolby have worsened their software, just that because of DCI everything is slower. To be honest with you maybe a little too slow on the 862 - but I haven't checked 4.7 if that has improved a little.

Doremi have slowed down with DCI versions, but not as much as Dolby did.

That being said, Dolby work, Doremi don't [Smile]

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-23-2014 02:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely think that Dolby could do something to make it faster to check at show time...again, have an anticipation scheme to get the checks going ahead of time for a scheduled show. GDC checks faster than Dolby too.

With a CAT745, it is practically instant on the checks.

However, I haven't found anything as reliable as a CAT862 system...they just work for us. Their service record (replacements and such) are also way above everything else.

I don't think that 4.7 speeds up the "Checking Licenses" thing at all. It seems about the same as 4.4

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-23-2014 06:22 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reliability-wise, I agree, besides some WSOD every now and then

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2014 08:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll get the content search speed back up eventually... GDC had that same issue on early 8.01 Build whatevers and now they search almost instantly starting at Build 131. I will definately admit that 4.7.whatever.whatever is a drastic improvement over 4.5.whatever.whatever. I already have it running on all the Dolbys I service.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: