Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Anyone dealt with Scrabble Ventures? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone dealt with Scrabble Ventures?
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2014 07:18 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone had some information about Scrabble Ventures in this thread .

I received a call today from B3 Media about the program. They sent me a quote, which basically matches what was previously posted.

It sounds like an interesting proposal, but I'm afraid it's one of those too-good-to-be-true scenarios.

Be3 Media
Scrabble Ventures, LLC
Interview with head of Scrabble

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2014 07:57 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's for real. I've seen the equipment when it arrived at a location. One big cost factor not accounted for in that price list on the other thread: Install.

Let's see: There are also no pedestals listed (and none at the location I speak of), nothing regarding sound equipment, and if you are getting involved in a V.P.F. program - you have to find a N.O.C. If you are using Scrabble Ventures, you will automatically have to use Christie. Oh, that's right - Scrabble Ventures address is:

10550 Camden Dr, Cypress, CA 90630

Which is the same as Christie Digital Systems.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't personally used them, but do know of several drive-in owners who have. It's a lease deal, and for them it was the only way they could make the jump to digital.

Some of them have been posting photos of their new installations, and it was the first time I had seen a "Network Array Storage" solution used in place of a full blown digital cinema server like a Doremi, GDC, Dolby, etc. I still haven't figured out how it works, but I'd assume it does.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-24-2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NAS is for 'Network Attached Storage'. It's an optional item that can be used with every common cinema projection system/server. Basically it's just storage space extension and sharing between multiple servers. Some locations have it, some not.

- Carsten

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2014 09:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are in their program. REALLY decent folks to do business with. Just read everything they send you with regard to cost, nothing is hidden but you could easily miss something if you aren't paying attention.

When you add everything up at the end, it's actually a pretty cheap financing program. We've had no issues at all (they even let us delay our first lease payment when our opening date got pushed back 6 weeks) and the costs are exactly what they quoted initially.

Highly recommended for the indie that doesn't have the upfront capital or credit to get going.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2014 10:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had one customer pass on it and buy the NC-900. When he understood that the IMB was a fixed part of the projector even he disliked that. They do offer install and they REQUIRE periodic service... he sent me his quote and it seemed pretty high. Going with the NC-900 and GDC IMB saved him at least 8 grand plus what ever interest and needless fees he would have had to pay.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got 5 different quotes on the projection equipment we ended up going with...Scrabble/Christie were right in the middle and all were within a 7.5% range.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2014 03:52 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark G.
Going with the NC-900 and GDC IMB saved him at least 8 grand plus what ever interest and needless fees he would have had to pay.
Fine, but that sounds like he had access to the funding needed for an outright purchase. For theatres that don't, this seems like a reasonable solution. Maybe the only one.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. We converted the 4 screen we renovated with only $30k upfront, including install costs. The interest rate is very low, and their are no credit requirements. Just sign over your VPFs to Scrabble. And in our experience thus far, because the VPFs are so low to begin with...no distributor has had any issue booking a movie with us that didn't have to do with us being ranked too low to get it on the break anyway.

It's a good deal for people without a lot of capital and/or books that don't support loans through traditional banks.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-28-2014 01:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who owns the equipment at the end of the term? Is it a lease or a purchase?

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2014 05:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can either keep the equipment in exchange for the deposit, or get your deposit back and give up the equipment.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-28-2014 05:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you are saying that it $7,500/screen for the equipment at the end (using your $30,000 for 4-screens to come up with that number)?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2014 12:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One customer of mine just went with Scrabble. This was the only customer that I thought would not make it through to digital as all the lease companies and all the banks had turned them down. Luckily, he did not end up with the el crapo CP-2210 but a better Solaria model instead and he couldn't remember the server he was given.

The install did not go smooth for him at all and he was down a total of 8 days to convert his single screen over (YEP!). Projector went in ok but the two techs sent in from San Antonio could not get the sound to work. They started out by hanging a D to A on his existing USL JS-100. No go. So they had a new processor sent in. After much a doo they got that to work and 8 days later he was back on screen minus his right channel... which I now have to go fix. All I bet that was wrong in the first place was that they had the wrong AES cable. Pretty pathetic install IMHO but they did ultimately let him keep the new processor for free. Oh they tried to ding him 3500 bucks for it but he had already signed the contract with Scrabble that said he'd have a working booth by such and such a date. And Scrabble had already broken that part of the contract...

I don't know who these installers were... but be very wary of them if you sign on the dotted line!

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-13-2014 09:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have it backwards Mark...the CP2210 was fine...it is the Solaria 1/1+ that is on the econo side that has had numerous reported issues. Also, with a Solaria 1/1+...your choice of server is the Christie IMB with a NAS. Most Scrabble people get this "option." Drive-Ins on the Scrabble plan got the larger CP2220/CP2230s but again with the Christie IMB and NAS.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2014 12:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, you're right. He wasn't 100% sure what it was. He just said it says Solaria on the side. I'm not sure the Solaria is big enough for his screen. I'll see the system right after CinemaCon.
I woldn't have any issues with NAS as that is where the whole industry is heading. But I would with a fixed media block.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: