Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » KDMs and Doremi server.

Author Topic: KDMs and Doremi server.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-19-2014 03:16 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After several delays we will be running our first film next month. Last night I received an e-mail from our film programmer. He forwarded a message from a distributer who wrote:

"PS please advise your server details for the KDM and two email addresses to where it should be sent, thanks, Simon"

I've loaded keys onto the server, but never had any involvement with obtaining them from distributers. I know that the keys are tied down to a particular server, but I don't know exactly how. What information about the server do they require; is it just a serial number, or something more? Where do I find this information on the server? I will be at the cinema to check a few things at 18:00 (noon Central Time) today, so if anybody could give me an answer before then I would be grateful.

Many thanks to anybody that can help.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2014 03:31 AM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most distributors only need the serial numbers of the servers, as they can look up the rest from those serial numbers on Doremi's FTP site.

I'm afraid I can't remember exactly how to get the serial number off a Doremi, but it's in one of the "info" options from the menu on the touch panel.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2014 03:33 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In theory all they really need is the Esn of the server, that's the serial number of the Dolphin card in reality.

Some distributors ask for all sorts of information: Number of seats, how much water your toilet flush uses etc. None of it makes any difference for KDM purposes.

You can find the eSN via the Doremi diagnostic tool.

It would be prudent if your had the certificates for your server, email me the eSN you get from the diagnostic page and I'll get you the certificates.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-19-2014 04:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'll try to get the eSN this evening.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-19-2014 07:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The certificate is only a small file - it is advisable to have it stored along with the serial in case of an emergency. Service companies will generate the KDMs directly based on the certificate. In a last minute situation, it can be a life saver when you're able to supply the certificate file directly to them by email.

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2014 08:37 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three questions about the certificate:

What is it?
What does it do?
Where do you get it?

I've always just provided the s/n and had no issues getting a KDM.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2014 12:56 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's basically the eSN in electronic form. It's a bit more complicated than that but you can think of it that way. An ID card for your server if you will.

The KDM generator can use it + the UUID of the content to generate KDMs, no typing involved = less margin for error.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-21-2014 01:42 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, the certificate is the actual data that your KDMs are generated from. The eSN is just an easy way to reference the certificate. The lab takes your eSN, then dials the server manufacturers lookup-site, and downloads the certificate for that server eSN in order to generate KDMs. Usually that works without a problem, but under time pressure, it is not a bad idea to have the certificate directly stored somewhere in oder to supply it to the DCP/KDM issuing entity.

eSN is just a Doremi proprietary way to identificate a certain server/media block, just a serial number. Other manufacturers have similar systems, but they are not unified. What IS unified is that every manufacturer has a database in which device serial numbers and actual certificates are referenced to each other, so that certificates can be easily retrieved by communicating these serial numbers together with device type/manufacturer. E.G. a '32637289' is useless if you don't communicate manufacturer/server/IMB type with it.

Some systems have integrated options to get the certificate from the device itself. You manouver to a GUI location and there you can download the certificate, which is usually a *.pem file. It's a readable text file, but you should leave it unchanged, better ZIP it.

- Carsten

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-24-2014 03:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice; the distributor is happy with the information we have provided, so hopefully others will be if we send them the same.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: