Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Arts Alliance TMS cannot see HDD

Author Topic: Arts Alliance TMS cannot see HDD
Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2014 11:32 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I have formatted up some 2TB HDD's to make some compilation DCP drives for a film festival. The drives are EXT formatted and can be seen by Dolby, Doremi and GDC servers and by Cinedigm TCC TMS.

Today I tested them in an Arts Alliance TMS. This TMS has a 4-bay CRU unit. I had 3 HDD's with me. I plugged the first one in, and it successfully mounted and scanned and I ingested a short clip from it to the LMS. Second one, mounted and scanned no problem (there was nothing short to test ingest). Third one though, didn't show up. I then swapped the second and third to confirm it wasn't a faulty CRU bay. Then neither would show up.
I then swapped all three drives around and now none of them show up.
I took my 3 HDD's to another AA TMS site and they just didn't show up at all.
After this I re-checked them in Dolby and Doremi servers and a Cinedigm TMS and all OK.

Now, I know some TMS's can be pretty picky, the Cinedigm doesn't like some drives that get read fine by servers, but I'm confused by the fact that upon first insert to AA TMS 2 of the drives were good, but on subsequent inserts they just didn't show up.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Cheers,
Ian

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-19-2014 07:49 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a driver lock-up or SATA hotplug issue. Were you able/allowed to restart/reboot the TMS machine?

- Carsten

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2014 01:34 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten

I didn't venture to a reboot yet, I didn't have a lot of time and I don't think the cinema is too keen on that at short notice.

I spoke to another tech more familiar with AA and he suggested sometimes they can have issues mounting drives, or at least sometimes they don't dismount a drive correctly so when you re-insert it, it never though it was taken out so doesn't re-mount properly. Or at least that's what I understood him to be saying.
I guess as they are 2TB drives this could add to the complexity as they take a lot longer to scan, but I was reasonably patient, leaving them several minutes.

He did suggest a reboot of the TMS may sort it, so I'll ask one of the two local AA sites if they will try that at some stage.

Interestingly, I sent the same 3 HDD's off to the first Festival site yesterday with a warning saying they may have to USB ingest (Doremi 3U chassis), but they reported back that their AA TMS could read them just fine... So I'm doing something right, haha

I know I shouldn't be surprised by these situation with d-Cinema these days, but...

Cheers,
Ian

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-20-2014 06:04 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USB natively supports hot-plugging. With CRU/SATA, it depends a bit on hardware and software combo. And yes, it is quite common that a reinsert is not detected on systems that have not been setup explicitly to do so. Which would of course be stupid for a TMS. It's a common problem using SATA/E-SATA for removable drives. Safest thing is a reboot.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: