Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby CP650 sudden instability

Author Topic: Dolby CP650 sudden instability
Christian Hove
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2014 05:06 PM      Profile for Christian Hove   Email Christian Hove   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
We have a auditorium with a Dolby CP650 that has been running in the current setup flawlessly for almost a year, but now during the last week it has become unstable, causing me great grief.

The following problems occur sporadically:

- Digital audio stops working
- Remote control stops working
- Strange characters in the display

When the digital audio stops working, it acts as if the audio from the S/PDIF inputs is not received. This have happened during a show where the audio suddenly disappeared. Manually changing audio format to something else and back again, brought the audio back.

When the remote control stops working, the CP650 ignores the commands sent over ethernet for changing format etc. Power cycling the CP650 made it work again.

I have taken a photo of the display showing strange characters:
CP650 strange characters
The second line of the display normally shows something like "6-Channel PCM". I'm not sure if the " ' " in the end of the third line ought to be there.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or know what to do about it?
We are a small cinema with very limited financial resources, so just buying another CP650 is not appealing to us.

Christian

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-17-2014 05:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please use the forum's image upload and upload that picture to this discussion. Linking to an off-site picture like this is is against the forum rules because it destroys the archives for future people researching.

When you go to edit or make a new post/reply the link to upload an image is right there by the text input box.

Christian Hove
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Christian Hove   Email Christian Hove   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it seems that I cannot edit the first post anymore:
"Sorry, the time limit for editing your post has expired"

Here is the photo:

-

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-19-2014 10:20 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First step for me would be to power it down, remove the front panel (one screw under the door), then remove the inside front panel (MANY screws), then reseat the boards plus the daughter boards. If this doesn't fix it, I would reflash the firmware. After that it's a job for Dolby I think. I don't know if they still offer exchange service for 650s - probably not?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2014 10:53 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's be worth looking at the PSU rails. PSU has long been Dolby's Achilles heel, and the 650 is no different.

650 is still a current product, but I think exchange service in only in warranty.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-19-2014 02:47 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for the PSU as well

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-19-2014 04:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check for black crud leaking from the end of the electrolytic capacitors. About three years ago I had a whole bunch of 650 supplies fail within a few months of each other. Every one of them had crud leaking from the end of the caps. They can be rebuilt in the field quite easily if thats the case.

Mark

Christian Hove
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2014 07:35 AM      Profile for Christian Hove   Email Christian Hove   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your input.
Based upon your responses I have contacted a local company to borrow a used PSU for the CP650 to test with. I hope that I will have some progress on this issue soon...

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2014 09:32 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
About three years ago I had a whole bunch of 650 supplies fail within a few months of each other. Every one of them had crud leaking from the end of the caps
I had EXACTLY the same experience. A bunch of "650" PS fails within weeks of each other.

Just FYI:

Probably a victim of "the great capacitor plague" of 2002. ('google it')

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions,of capacitors with a bad electolyte formula
were manufactured and found their way into power supplies and products of many
well known companies including Dell, HP, IBM, etc.

I've replaced 'plagued' caps in at least half a dozen SHARP flat screen TV's owned
by various friends & associates. Also in a few computer power supplies.
(Sharp eventually acknowledged the problem and issued a recall. Also there are
a wholebuncha articles & you-tube videos online on how to replace them yourself)

Although the problem seems to have subsided, there are still who-knows-how-many
bad caps in power supplies that haven't failed yet or that are sitting on shelves
in warehouses yet to be sold.

Christian Hove
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2014 06:59 AM      Profile for Christian Hove   Email Christian Hove   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:
I have swapped out the PSU with another used one - Unfortunately the display still show strange characters. Subsequently I have cleaned the four flat cable connectors to the front panel board - Still odd characters.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-18-2014 01:55 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try sending the software again? Maybe a newer one?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: