Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Surround speaker/amp reccomendations wanted. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Surround speaker/amp reccomendations wanted.
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are looking into replacing our 25 year old Altec surround speakers that are beginning to dry rot, and are just past their useful life. It is an old 75v system with an old Altec 9444A amplifier.

Current stage speakers are JBL, 4000 Series (don't remember exact model number but they have 2 15" drivers and a large compression horn) replaced in the late 90's. They still seem to perform well and sound good.

Auditorium is just under 100' long by 54' wide. Current speaker placement is 5 on each side, about 16 feet apart.

Looking for speaker and amplifier recommendations so I have some baseline knowledge when I begin talking to our tech.

Picture for reference.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 12:01 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on budget, i guess; JBL 8340A (or the older models 8330 i think) and qsc amps are the only experience i have over here in our cinemas and they work and have lasted fine for years.

I guess they will be wired for left, right, rear left and right, so getting an even number of speakers on each channel for series and paralleling for the impedance makes life easier; and amps with plenty of headroom.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-16-2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What fader setting do you usually run your films at?

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 12:19 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fader setting is usually around 5. USL JSD 80 processor.

Edit: There currently is a 6th speaker on each side in a useless location, though new ones could be moved.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 12:50 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been very happy with the JBL 8330s and 8340s (the older style). I have sent you an email about units that I do not need anymore.

I would only choose QSC DCA amps. I sold some last year on eBay and they were bought within 2 hours!

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 01:01 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the wood beams in there, not seen one like that before... the modern black speakers wont match your decor!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-16-2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got the newer QSC surround speakers about 15 months ago and we're very happy with them. Mark G. might be able to chime in here with the model number. All our amps are QSC as well.

I like the QSC surrounds because they're "purpose built" for cinema use. They're wedge shaped so you don't have to worry about angle brackets. I think the surrounds we had before were basically re-purposed home stereo speakers, or at least they looked that way.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-16-2014 01:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only sell and install QSC speakers and amps any more. Simply put they are built the best, last the longest and give the most bang for the buck. JBL and Crown have literally gone down the tubes since they became Harmonized... The build quality of JBL cabinets is absolutely atrocious to say the least and I refuse to sell crap.

By the way... Your theater and Sun Valley Opera House look a lot alike. Open beans and such. Beautiful construction!

Mark

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2014 02:09 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the compliments and information everyone. I will look into the QSC and JBL surrounds and get some quotes.

We are approaching our 73rd year of continuous operation in May.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-16-2014 02:56 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you never go above 5 you won't need 8340A, 8320 are possibly enough or QSC 8101. This is without doing exact calculations of course, which is always required.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-16-2014 05:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you don't know for sure if your dealer can do the calculations or if you're scratching your head wondering then properly then QSC will gladly do them for you.

As for surrounds... too many are better then just enough or too few. And go for at least a three way system. Your theater isn't so wide that it wouldn't cover adaquately.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-16-2014 05:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can never have too many surrounds. Back 2/3 of the theatre only. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-16-2014 06:17 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The QSC DCA amp series for sure. Also, the DCA 1644 0r 1824 four channel will go down to 2 Ohms each channel so one amp will do all 4 surround zones.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2014 07:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the depth of that room?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-16-2014 08:27 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe he said 100 Ft.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: