Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Satellite Hardware Mismatch error on NEC NC2000C (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Satellite Hardware Mismatch error on NEC NC2000C
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-12-2014 02:21 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had an issue with this projector giving Blue Satellite errors for a very long time - probably since install.
We have opened up the projector and reseated all the cables.
I performed updates from 3.202 to 4.203.

Initially I attempted to update to 4.209, but received an SIB error and the update failed. I received this error on 2 separate projectors, so I stopped with 4.203 on all subsequent projectors.

On the above projectors, I rolled back to 4.200. The update proceeded normally, but upon starting the projector I received the following errors. However, playback was fine despite the system error message and red taillights.
301 : System Error
302 : Self Test Error
333 : Satellite Hardware Mismatch
350 : Blue Satellite Serial Link Error
372 : ICP Data Path Signature Test Result Fail(Blue)

This morning I updated from 4.200 to 4.203, and received the same error messages. At that point I powered down the projector, and reseated all the boards and the lens. After rebooting the projector and remarrying the boards, I received the following errors. Again, playback was normal, but the taillights are red and the display says system error.
301 : System Error
333 : Satellite Hardware Mismatch

As mentioned previously, this projector has always given Blue Satellite errors, but with the prior version it would just send an email periodically (usually 2-3 per week) indicating the error, and the taillights remained green.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-12-2014 04:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin,

Get away from 4.200 - 4.203...they all had issues that, among other things have the potential to not properly center the image on screen...particularly if you are shifting the image down via the ICP for Scope on a common width screen. 4.204 fixes that. So I wouldn't put on anything below 4.204.

Depending on the vintage of the unit, it may be worth doing the ICP recovery procedure and get a clean slate from the ICP. From there get it up to at least 4.204 though 4.208 has been painless for us. I think 4.209 primarily is for the IMS issues though there may be one or two other bug fixes for the rest. I know I haven't been in a rush to put 4.209 on though I have it on some NC900s without issue.

FWIW...normally, if I get satellite errors it seems to be the green one for me, not blue.

Since the satellite error is going to be an ICP or light engine issue...why not save the files and then swap the ICP between two theatres and see what moves or doesn't?

Another thing...any ICP running on 4.0 or 4.1 is not the most stable thing...make sure it is on 4.2 or old enough to be on 3.2.340

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-12-2014 04:53 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try going to a different version. In your opinion, if I'm on 4.203, do I need to step up through 4.204, 4.207, then 4.208. Or is it ok to go straight from 4.203 to 4.208. When I started these updates it was recommended to step through the versions, but I was running an very old version of the software.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-12-2014 05:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to step through all those versions!

I updated 6 projectors this morning that were at 4.203 and every one of them threw an error at the SIB update. It's not that big of deal. Just end the update and run it over again. The update will automatically bypass all the levels that are done and the SIB will load fine. I was 6 for 6 on this issue this morning so it likely has something to do with 4.203. On all 6 projectors the SIB update loaded just fine and could be verified as such in the logs.

Also - Be sure you are also using the latest DCC which is 5.050

On the satellite error swap ICP's and if it persists then check to be sure the DMD sockets are at the proper torque setting. It is actually quite critical because all those pins from the DMD are actually just make surface contact with gold pads on the formatter pcb. I had one projector that had odd on screen issues and torquing the sockets to spec fixed it.

Mark

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-13-2014 03:20 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to update.

I updated all 7 of the projectors I was working on from 4.203 to 4.208 with no issues.

I swapped the ICP board from the projector which was giving me an error with another projector which had no errors. After remarrying and applying the backed up screen files for each projector, both worked fine. The errors on the one projector didn't follow the board to the other projectors. And the errors didn't come back on the same projector with a different board installed. I don't understand why that fixed the problem, but I'm not going to question it.

Just out of curiosity, I try to do a back of the screen files both before and after an update. Do you find this to be a best practice, or overkill. At the very least I figure I need a fresh backup in case any tweaking has happened since the last backups were done.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-13-2014 07:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I do any updates, to anything, I have backups of that thing. Since the theatres we service we are the only ones that make changes, and since any change (even a simple title change) will result in a new back up, I don't necessarily make a backup of the projector for each update since I have the most recent version of that projectors changes.

You have to ask yourself, "do I have what I need to get this thing back to where it is now if disaster strikes" If the answer is yes, proceed. If the answer is no...make back ups...they are cheap and fast (on an NEC in particular, Barco's can be slow but one can also just back up what they need on them). I've been thankful more than once on making backups on installation when infant mortality strikes on all three brands!

I suspect that if you went to 4.209, at this point, it would be a clean upgrade too.

And just to correct Mark, because it is fun (particularly on NEC or GDC issues), the Latest DCC is 5.053.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-13-2014 03:59 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm thinking about, I had a SIB error last time I upgraded a NEC as well, just run it again and it was fine. Good to know it's to be expected.

Saving a backup from a NEC takes moments. On a Barco is painful but PNGs can be removed from the clone file before sending the clone back. That saves quite a lot of time.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2014 04:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always, always always save backups of everyting in your booth. Projectors, servers, automation, sound processors, toilet flush sequence, how to clean popper, etc. Or you'll be sorry at some point in time.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-14-2014 04:06 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When are Barco coming up with an option "ignore PNGs" when creating a clone file? [Smile]

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-14-2014 05:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind the PNGs when creating/restoring the clone...it is the method they transfer them that is the problem. They are way too slow and unreliable. From the other two DLP companies or via the TI program itself...PNG transfers are FAST! On the Barco they are SLOW...painfully slow. And, to add insult to injury, on restores, PNGs often will fail at some point in the upload. This is an old problem that needs fixing.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-14-2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, never realised that it was only happening with Barco!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2014 08:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is the Barco's are even slow to load the PNG's during nistallation setup as well. Where as if you load the Barco PNG test patterns into an NEC they load just as fast as the NEC files do... which is pretty dam quick. Can't speak for Christie, never loaded the Barco files into one.

Mark

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-14-2014 08:18 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put the Barco screen set up pattern on my NEC projectors and it loaded so fast there was virtually no delay between start and finished. It's not like it's a large file.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2014 08:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, NEC is seriously lacking in the test pattern arena!!

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-14-2014 10:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I carry my own PNGs and TGAs (as well as SCR and PCFs). Both 2K and 4K and load what I've found works best for me. NEC has a decent crosshatch pattern with the 16x9 ratio outlined. Barco has the best "framing" and "focus" patterns. They also do well on the Convergence. Christie has Framing2 that shows resolutions other than DCinema...etc. Then there are some custom ones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: