Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Audio Crackling DSS220 CAT745 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Audio Crackling DSS220 CAT745
Peter Maddock
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2014 08:33 PM      Profile for Peter Maddock   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
We have been experiencing severe intermittent crackling in our Dcinema system which is currently 5.1 although soon to be 7.1.
The projector is a Barco DP2K 10S with Dolby DSS220, CAT745 IMB, and Dolby CP750.
The problem can generally be corrected by manipulating the AES Audio Ethernet connection to the CP750. We have resorted to supporting this cable with masking tape to reduce the interference.
Our installer says our upgrade to 7.1 should overcome the problem however we will then be using two Ethernet audio cables between the IMB and CP750, which seem to be the source of the problem.
We are a single screen community cinema. Installer says the Dolby system has been installed in multiplex chains without problems.
Anyone experienced this problem.

|  IP: Logged

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2014 10:06 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the CP750 display show the word "Discrete" intermittently dropping out as the crackling is occurring?

Replace the Ethernet cables running from the IMB to the CP750--one or both of them is likely bad.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-11-2014 08:45 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there have been a few reports of bad ethernet-audio cables on this forum earlier. How long is the connection between the projector/IMB and the CP750?

Best is to convert to proper AES cabling as soon/short as possible.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-11-2014 11:00 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you use at the CP750 to go from ethernet to DB25? The Odyssey RJ-DB card has been good for us, and the 7.1 channel swapper card version does that job well. Plus, using high quality premade CAT6 cables is our normal practice: we have seen many problems because of faulty field termination of ethernet cables.
We have not had any issues with the AES over CATx approach and I don't personally believe using "proper AES cables" will make any difference. You have some problem not inherent in using CATx cabling.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-11-2014 04:55 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also had good luck with the Odyssey kit. AES cable is best for long runs though but expensive and not particularly convenient in this plug and play world where a lot of techs don't carry a soldering iron. (Probably for the best [Big Grin]

Peter Maddock
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2014 05:21 PM      Profile for Peter Maddock   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
We have 10m of Ethernet cable between the DSS220 and IMB. We went for the Dolby system as it enabled connection to our remote projector which is mounted outside our bio box. The Doremi required a much shorter PCI Express cable.

I am picking up a 7.1 card from the installer today and will speak to him about AES cabling.

The Ethernet cable is connected to the CP750 via a RJ45/D25 adapter plug supplied by the installer.

I am sure there would not be an inherent design problem with the Dolby Ethernet data connections.

Thanks for the feedback on this problem.

Peter

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2014 05:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used AES up to about a year or so ago but use CAT 6 now in just about all installations. Not one issue and I have runs up to 30 feet long.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-11-2014 05:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a few discussions on the forum about this. While in general, CAT5-7 is suited for AES audio cabling, it seems that in real world scenarios it sometimes causes trouble, either by bad cables, screening, or simply the cable run is too long and the connected devices do not follow AES specs strictly . I also learned that large parts of the world still use unscreened twisted pair.

As you now came up with a 10m run, I'm sure this is the problem. You may try a different/better cable, or switch to a different converter/cable combo as suggested by others. If you go 7.1., the dedicated Odyssey board with selectable signal routing for 7.1 and HI/VI is probably the best solution.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-11-2014 05:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the Ethernet not being the best for AES, the 745 does not have any issues with the it.
If you have crackling noise you should replace your AES cable immediately - or check the connector, I guess the soldering may be faulty.

You could install the ethernet cables straight away without waiting for the 7.1 upgrade.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-11-2014 07:12 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Odyssey Ethernet kit comes with two 35 Ft. Cat. 6 cables and I've had no problems with using that length but have not tried a longer run than that.

I do like the the AES breakouts boards and had a bit to do with the design but this method has fallen from favor due to cost and the aforementioned problem with knowing in advance what the cable length will be.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2014 08:19 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EBU3250E - AES/EBU Interface, Third Edition, 2004. States AEA/EBU may be carried over CAT5 cable for 400 meters unequalized and 800 meters equalized.

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-12-2014 04:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe, in the US and probably other countries, AES must use screened cable (shielded) or it will cause RF interference.

We have had good luck with CAT cable for AES but also will still use proper AES cable, depending on the installation, environment, needs. We always make our own cables. I've had many more premade cable failures than our own.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-12-2014 07:02 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried an RJ-DB adapter unit, it had a bunch of jumpers attached to the RJ45 that I plugged into the DB25 side. It worked OK for a while then they had issues with lost channels. I put in the Odyssey basic adapter and have had no problems since. I don't know what adapter your installer provided, but that's where I expect the problem could be. Swapping cables would be my first try, then losing that adapter if the cable change doesn't help.
Doremi includes an adapter with their IMBs that I've used without trouble; it's just a pain because another cable has to be used to the D-A. The Odyssey card is simper and looks tidier.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2014 07:35 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, no adapters are required when driving a USL JSD-100 or JSD-60, since they have RJ45 AES/EBU inputs. Also, everyone agrees on the pin out of these connecrors, as opposed to DB-25.

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-12-2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we make our own cables...we just put on the DB25 right to the CAT cable...always works.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: