Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC filter price (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: NEC filter price
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2014 04:09 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking for another source and prices for filters for my NEC's and I found these. Has anyone used this company before. Are they actually legit HEPA filters. They seem insanely cheap compared to what I was paying. Or are they in line with what people are paying.

Air Filter (7"x7") for NEC

Air Filter (3.5"x9.5") for NEC

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-31-2014 04:13 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use those filters, and they seem to work fine.

Just FYI, the filters that come with the projector can be washed and reused - assuming they are the ones with the fabric baffles and hard plastic frame.

Just rinse under hot water, and apply a little dish soap. Run your finger along each fold a few times on each side, then rinse and dry. I don't know how many times you can do this before they fall apart, but it's a better alternative than $36 per filter change (2 each per projector).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-31-2014 08:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is less air flow through those. Strong was distributing that type of filter but has changed to one that really resembles the original NEC.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-31-2014 11:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The air filters above are not true HEPPA filters like the original NEC filters are. If you have an NC-900 and you buy the NEC lamp kit you will get the actual NEC heppa air filters with that kit. The filters that Strong used to sell were passable as for filtration but did not fit as tightly into the filter openings as the original filters did. I've seen dome dust leakage because of it. Placng a thin layer of foam tape around the edges of the filters that contact the projector side of the opening fixes that problem. Also, tape the center join of the two lamphouse air filter on top together. That stops any dust leakage there. Except for a few very dusty locatons we have nistalled NEC's, the air filters last remarkably long.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-01-2014 04:51 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no point in having HEPA filters if there is no sealing around the filters themselves.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2014 05:37 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone got or had a good source of Christie CP2000SB (the large blue machine!) filters, and does anyone know where the "small" filter is? I know where the large "operator side" one is, where the air goes across the light engine, however one supplier said I should be buying the small one too; yet until now I was not aware there was one in those? Anyone come across it's location?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-01-2014 06:09 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LAD filter. It's inside the light engine, just in front of the big one. Remove the big filter and you'll see it. It must be white, if it's not it has to be replaced, that filters the air going to the DMDs.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-01-2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Marco, Thats why I reccomend the foam tape and such.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-01-2014 01:12 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but given the price NEC sell the filters, I would expect a much better design. There is no sealing between the fan and the filters, why the air shouldn't be sucked from the gaps around the panels? They should ask Mr. Dyson, he knows how these things work!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you misunderstood me. I never have any issues with original NEC filters. But over here everyone is using cheap chinese replacements and they do not seal well against the projector. They are about 1/4 the price of the NEC filters and the filter element part is good but the paper frames theya re in are too loose in the filter holders.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-02-2014 02:06 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No filter can properly filter air if no gasket is placed around. No matter how good they are. NEC filters come with NO sealing and as you pointed out the lamp ones leave a gap in the middle. For that price range I would expect NEC to better engineer their filters.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-02-2014 02:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the idea on the NEC filters is that they inherently are tight fitting and form a satisfactory seal for what they are doing. They should require one to squeeze them to get in/out.

Is this stuff perfect...no. Barco went to a filter system that lets a fair amount of fine dust in...they will brag about their sealed light engine but that doesn't help all of the mirrors and other optical elements that lead to the light engine.

Christie had decent filtration...except for the lamp, which receives none so the main reflector and UV filter don't get anything either.

Over all, I much prefer the changeable filters over the wire mesh ones. They do a much better job of keeping the fine dirt out.

We are toying with adding a "pre-filter" to Barco projectors to cover the inlets to see if it cuts down on the dust/dirt and grime. Lets face, it, most do not clean the wire mesh filters very well. This is particularly true if the popcorn oils can make their way to the projectors.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-02-2014 02:56 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NEC filters I use don't need to be squeezed to stay in place and they are actually loose. The fan is on a different chassis, that means that air can actually be sucked from the gap between the panels. Check R320's design: the fan and the filters are in the same compartment. And filters have gaskets.

No, if no gaskets are used you cannot expect "hepa" filters to work, no way. No matter how tight frames are, dust will pass anyway.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2014 03:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco, Thats why I reccomend the foam tape thing. The NEC filters do fit tighter but not what I'd call quite tight enough.

As for Barko... How many of their light engines are actually still sealed? None of the Barkos I've installed lately have sealed light engines and I remember them saying they were moving away from that because of cost. Hepa could also rescue Barko as well if they were smart enough to actually include them on their projectors. The only cleaner I know from experience that's safe to use on front surface mirrors is Panchro Lens Cleaner

This is probably why they made their projectors put out more light at least initially was to compensate for optics getting dirty down the road.

Mark

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2014 07:34 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The filtration on our Barck DP2k-12c is remarkably poor

The cleanable wire mesh filters are very slack in the housings (tried 2 sets) and some things that should be filtered, are not

I clean them every 2 weeks but that doesn't stop a fair amount of that fine powdery dust getting inside

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: